Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 12:18AM

Dear DogEatDog’s assholy FIL:

You begin your letter by stating you are close minded and completely unwilling to consider anything other than what you already believe might be true. Shortly thereafter you ask us to be open minded. Surely you can see the hypocrisy in this. You also personally attacked and demeaned both myself and others I hold in high regard. I will not lower myself to that but will simply address the issues you pose.

FIL, you better have read every word of this by the time we talk next.

As you did in your letter, please allow us to state firmly and clearly that we are completely convinced and have come the a firm conclusion that the Mormon church is not true, that the Book of Mormon is not historical, and that Joseph Smith was not a prophet. With that said, unlike you, if we were ever to see and find evidence that we are wrong in our conclusions we would be willing to follow the evidence. That in fact is exactly what has allowed us to get to where we have gotten – reconsidering ones beliefs is very difficult to do, but we were able to do so. Looking for the truth despite our preconceived notions and emotional experiences was a difficult process, but it landed us where we are now.

Now, we will address each of your points one by one:

1) You state that you have a sure knowledge because you have had an emotional feeling that you call the Holy Ghost multiple times.

The problem with this is that finding truth based on feelings is proven to be fallible. The easiest example is that other religions that directly contradict yours report having the same emotions. So who is right and who is wrong? You can’t both be right. And you can’t say they have those feelings because they have a portion of the truth. How do you know that you aren't the one who has a portion of the truth?
Would it not be the pinnacle of arrogance and pride to determine that their spiritual feelings are wrong and that yours is right?

In fact D&C 9 states:

But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong.

This is exactly what I did. When I tried to pray and ask if the church is true I always had a stupor of thought. I just can’t see how it adds up. When I did as I am told and studied it out , the more I learned and the more I thought about it the bigger and bigger the stupor of thought became.
Finally I did the unthinkable and I dared to sincerely ask with real intent if the church was false. I prayed about it and I finally had the true “burning in the bosom”. Finally the answer was clear. Finally my heart and mind agreed just like D&C 9 says it should when I have found the truth.

I have done everything the church says I should do and I came to the opposite conclusion you did based on exactly the same criteria. Who is right and who is wrong? Why are your feelings and spiritual experiences more valid than mine? You can’t just say keep praying until you get the right answer defined as the answer you want me to get. I followed the program. The answer I received was the church is false.

Let’s illustrate further:

Try to match these 8 religions to the following 20 quotes (the wording has been altered to avoid obvious cues – things like “after reading the Koran.”
Atheist
Buddhist
Catholic
Hindu
Islam
Mormon
New Age
Protestant
Universal Unitarian

1. “I felt a burning in my heart, and a great burden seemed to have left me.”

2. “But what can I say? How can I describe an experience so profound and so beautiful? Shall I say that it was the most blessed experience of my life? Shall I say that God touched my heart and gave me a feeling of peace I had not known before? Shall I describe the tears that flowed freely from my eyes, affirming my . . . faith, as I . . . begged God's blessings for myself and for those I love?”

3. “The sense I had of divine things, would often of a sudden kindle up, as it were, a sweet burning in my heart; an ardor of soul, that I know not how to express.”1

4. “As I read these books in a . . . bookstore, . . . I felt a burning in my heart that I should come and investigate.”

5. “Even as a child, without understanding much about the complex doctrine . . . he was attracted to church. There he often felt a strong feeling of peace flowing through his body.”

6. “I was praying . . . when I felt a burning shaft of . . . love come through my head and into my heart.”1

7. “I truly wanted to know the truth. After a few weeks, I stumbled onto texts which . . . answered my questions in a way that I had not heard of before. I read everything . . .and I even tried the experiment of asking God for . . . his divine love. After about 6 weeks, I felt a burning in my chest and a sensation that was unlike anything I had ever felt. It was pure happiness and peace. I knew then that God had sent His love to me.”

8. “A feeling of peace and certitude would tell me when I had found the answers and often after people would help me by pointing in the right direction.”

9. “We gave up a lot of things. What did I get in return? I received a feeling of peace, hope and security. I no longer lay awake at night worrying. I stopped cussing. I became much more honest in all aspects of my life. God has changed my heart and my life. My husband’s heart is changing also. We pray all the time and really feel God’s presence in our marriage. My perspective has changed. My view of life has changed about what is truly important.”

10. “Many women described a feeling of euphoria after they committed to following God . . . . One woman described a feeling of peace; she said: ‘It is like you are born again and you can start all over again, free from sin.’”

11. “A feeling of peace seemed to flow into me with a sense of togetherness . . . . . I felt very peaceful from inside and also felt warmth . . . .”

12. “I felt a burning sensation in my heart.”

13. “That inner light, that we all have or had at some time in our existence, was nearly burnt out for me. But in the church . . . I found a feeling of peace, inner solitude and quietness that I’d also found in reading the text and pondering over its meaning and trying to practice what it tells us.”

14. “For the first time I not only felt accountable for my past sins but I had to fight back tears. I knew that I had let down God and my family . . . . However, I also knew I was forgiven! It gave me a feeling of peace that I have never felt it in my whole life. I felt like I had a huge weight lifted off of me and that I was finally home and free . . . . I felt like a new person.”

15. “Every time I am there at the church building, a feeling of peace overcomes me.”

16. “Every time I was with the church members, I felt this warm feeling, a feeling of peace and for the first time in my life since my church-going days, I wanted to follow God . . . .”

17. “About 10 years ago, when Jenny and I decided to start a family, we began looking for a spiritual community for our kids. During my first service at the church. . . I was hooked. I recall the feeling of peace that I felt when I was attending services.”

18. “The power of God came into me then. I had this warm and overwhelming feeling of peace and security. It’s hard to explain. I had to . . . stop myself from falling backward.”

19. “The religious leader looked into my eyes deeply for a moment, and I experienced a feeling of peace and love unlike anything I had ever experienced before.”

20. “After praying, immediately I was flooded with a deep feeling of peace, comfort, and hope.”

21. “I recently spent an afternoon on the northwestern shore of the Sea of Galilee, atop the mount where Jesus is believed to have preached his most famous sermon. . . . As I sat and gazed upon the surrounding hills gently sloping to an inland sea, a feeling of peace came over me. It soon grew to a blissful stillness that silenced my thoughts. In an instant, the sense of being a separate self—an “I” or a “me”—vanished. . . . The experience lasted just a few moments, but returned many times as I gazed out over the land where Jesus is believed to have walked, gathered his apostles, and worked many of his miracles.”

My point here is not to say that any of these people’s experiences are invalid or that they are not valuable, or that religion is bad. Nor am I trying to say that this proves any certain religion to be true or false – just that spiritual experiences are a universal human emotion, and that, just like any emotional experience, they are not enough by themselves to be reliable indicators of absolute truth. This is easy to demonstrate using religious experiences, since the claims of most of these religions are contradictory. Thus, if one of the above religions were true in the absolute sense, many or most of the others would be false. Many or most of the above people’s religious experiences, therefore, could not have been reliable indicators of the truth.

Please take the quiz and send me back the answers and I’ll let you know how accurately you discerned who felt what.
[Answers: 1. Protestant; 2. Islam; 3. Protestant; 4. Catholic; 5. Hindu; 6. Catholic; 7. New Age; 8. Islam; 9. Protestant; 10. Islam; 11. Hindu; 12. Protestant; 13. Islam; 14. Catholic; 15. Buddhist; 16. Mormon; 17. Universal Unitarian; 18. Catholic; 19. Hindu; 20. Protestant; 21. Atheist]

The church has to set up doctrine and regularly teach that a revelation is valid only if it agrees with teach doctrine and the brethren. Furthermore the D&C is full of examples of members claiming revelations and Joseph Smith clarifying that they can only receive revelations that agree with his teachings. There are rules in place that you can only receive revelations for those within your stewardship. Thus this is circular logic – you prove the church is true by these spiritual feelings, but if the feelings are never correct unless they coincide with the church. This shows that these spiritual feelings are not reliable – otherwise the church would not need to teach that if these feelings are ever in conflict with them it is the feeling that is wrong, not the church or it’s leaders.

If the information about the church added up and was likely or even plausible then those feelings would be an indicator. However, to determine that you know something 100% surely just because you have had emotional feelings despite all evidence to the contrary is irrational. Again by Mormon standards, faith is only valid if it is belief in something which is true.

2) Book of Abraham
[quote]
Obviously what the Church has in its possession at this time, is NOT the same papyrus that Joseph "translated" into the Book of Abraham. Joseph was reportedly in possession of several scrolls from which he translated the book; however, the word "translated" may be used very loosely because there was NOT a word for word translation as was the case for the Book of Mormon (which I'll get to later). Consequently, it is more accurate to say that these papyrus (plural) were more like a catalyst from which the Book of Abraham was "given" to Joseph. Just exactly what Joseph did is not known today, but if one accepts Joseph as a true Prophet, it really doesn't matter, now does it?
[/quote]

OK you are combining two points into one. I will address them separately.

Point 1: You say “obviously what the Church has in its possession at this time, is not the same papyrus.”

Please allow me to educate you with the actual evidence.

First, facsimile 1 is in the church’s possession. There is no refuting this. The portions that are not missing are an exact match. The sections are missing are the sections that Egyptologists had previously identified as being an incorrect rendering.

So we know exactly what Joseph Smith used to translate facsimile 1. We know which parts were the original source and we know which parts were drawn in by him or an associate.
We also know that the parts that are drawn in are completely wrong. Before the document was recovered Egyptologists had correctly identified which sections were legitimate and which were improvised and invalid.

Furthermore we know for certain what Facsimile 1 represents in Egyptian mythology and it is not Abraham being sacrificed on an altar. In fact the entire facsimile is translated incorrectly. I can provide the details if desired.

Second, the text of the Book of Abraham references the attached image and the beginning of the text. This removes any doubt that the text attached to this image is the source document for the Book of Abraham. The text attached to this facsimile is the Book of Breathings.

Third, the claim has been made that there might have been more to the scroll that was broken off or missing. However this can be easily refuted:

A) This makes no logical sense. Why would the book of
breathing be first and then the writings of Abraham written thousands of years earlier be contained and attached on the same scroll?

B) The torn off, missing sections on the top of the parchment are repetitive. Using this and the width of the parchment you can mathematically model how tightly the scroll was wound and thus determine the full length of the parchment. The math shows that less than 5 inches are missing. If desired I can provide you with the details.

Fourth, there exists an attempted character by character explanation of the Egyptian alphabet. I will skip the details of how it is proven to be from Joseph Smith's secretary but I can provide them if desired. It is clear that the source of this alphabet is the Book of Breathing attached to Facsimile 1. The translation is completely wrong, but adds further evidence that this is what they were using as the source document.

I have only provided a high level overview of the details and would be happy to provide more information if desired.

Point 2: The word "translated" may not be a word for word translation as was the case for the Book of Mormon (which I'll get to later). Consequently, it is more accurate to say that these papyrus (plural) were more like a catalyst from which the Book of Abraham was "given" to Joseph.

So this point directly conflicts your first point. You can’t have your cake and eat too here. Which way do you want it? Did Joseph Smith use the Book of Breathings as his source or a legitimate Book of Abraham?

Your point here apparently concedes that Joseph Smith in fact used the Book of Breathings as the source document. (So are you admitting that your initial point is merely a red herring?) OK let’s go with that.

1) This does nothing to resolve the issues that the three facsimiles are translated incorrectly. These means that God gave Joseph Smith the wrong translations for all three of these images. Furthermore the narrative of the Book of Abraham is based on a faulty translation of facsimile 1. Oops. Additionally this creates a further problem for the completely incorrect concepts of astronomy in the Book of Abraham - if it was given directly from God there is no excuse for these mistakes.

2) The fact that Joseph Smith said that he was translating the Book of Abraham but was, in fact, not is germane to his claim to be a prophet. This means that he was either deceived or deceiving. It certainly puts a big chink in the credibility of someone being a prophet when they claim a parchment is one thing, but when it is later proven to be nothing of the kind.

3) This begins to establish a mode of operation that Joseph Smith had a pattern of claiming that items where ancient texts when they were not. In fact the Book of Abraham is only one of at least four such cases, others being the Kinderhook Plates, D&C 104 (later admitted to not be a revelation from Enoch), the Greek Psalters, and the Book of Mormon.

You are working your evidence backward. You are starting with the dogma that Joseph Smith must have been a prophet and then attempting to altar the evidence accordingly. However the evidence when looked at objectively and not having already decided the outcome beforehand shows exactly the opposite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 01:32PM by bc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 14, 2013 12:43AM

You specifically asked for ideas on these:

[I ASKED IF HE HAD READ AND AGREED ON THE EXTREME SIMILARITIES BETWEEN THE LDS TEMPLE CEREMONIES AND THE MASON'S CEREMONIES]
Question D: This is so disgraceful and irreverent I'm not going to address this. The main problem here is you're reading stuff from FAIR. Hopefully you understand they are NOT the ultimate source of light and truth. So, whatever the connection, it doesn't matter because I know what I know. You can't possibly understand because you unfortunately have not experienced the Temple like I have. That's all I'll say.

Response:

Either ignore this completely or say something like. You have indicated that you do not want to discuss details of the temple. That's fine, I can respect that.

Question E: I've already answered this one. Did you not understand? Yes, the Church is a corporation; and yes, the leaders of the Church do, in certain ways, get compensated for their involvement with related businesses and companies. SO WHAT? May the Lord bless them in many other ways. I can't even believe you are so upset about such things. They deserve whatever money they get!! And it isn't near what many other CEOs and corporate leaders get. The Lord knows, and that's all that matters. Having said this, it is not deceitful to say they are NOT paid for their ecclesiastical duties as related to their callings as Apostles. If you believe otherwise, then you are misinformed.

Response:

This is probably another issue I wouldn't push. Frankly even if the church where true I'm not sure it should any different. If the church were really true I think it would be appropriate for these full time people to get paid something. Where we don't know how much it is, it is impossible to criticize the amount.

There are plenty of side issues that are problematic - why is the church so far away from the Book of Mormon - that riches are for helping the poor, that fine twined linens are wrong, etc. However these become secondary to "we are lead by prophets". If someone believes they are lead by prophets it is impossible to make any ground in this area. I can't think of concrete things that should be different if they were truly prophets.

The assertion that they are not paid for their ecclesiastical duties is pretty ridiculous. What are mission presidents paid for? What are general authorities paid for? However, even assuming they are I have a hard time coming up with a really strong, cogent argument that they should not be. He is admitted that there is a temporal aspect of the church that is like a corporation - I'm not sure how much further you can take it.

The only thing you could do is say something like:

"I recognize that there is no significant argument to be made here. I'm just stating that on a emotional level this bothers me, personally. To me it feels inconsistent with accounts of King Benjamin and Alma the Younger in the Book of Mormon."

-------------

As far as the full letter please let me know if it is really helpful - what I've done so far, and if it would be helpful to do more. It will take me a fair amount of time to do the whole thing, but if it would be helpful I'm willing to do so if it's is helpful - I just don't want to keep doing it if it isn't really going to help. (I'm somewhat interested in working through and writing the answers down for myself as well, but won't take the time unless it's seriously helpful.

Posted by: knowitsfalse ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 01:41AM

I always think it's worth bring up facsimile 2 figure 7 and pointing out the massive erection on the figure Joseph Smith calls God :) Also the fact that the penis was left off until after the scrolls were rediscovered.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 12:28PM

+ Think I actually might. :)

Date: January 14, 2013 12:32PM

Thank you bc! This is helpful and I will be using it!

Date: January 14, 2013 01:33PM

Note - I edited and made a number of grammatical corrections.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 01:40AM

You might be fighting on too many fronts, reduce the argument to only one topic at a time.

they should know you have a long list (and by the letter seems like they do) so hit one issue at a time.

hardest thing for the mo to understand is that their church lies to them.

also it is really hard for them to accept their feelings could be fooled.

if they are old enough, I am sure that they heard paul h dunn speak, point out that when he spoke it felt good. but later we all found out he lied. thus lies can create good spiritual feelings. this means you can't always trust your feelings, they should be supplemented with research (and there are lots of quotes of the prophets (particularly early church ones that welcome research)

for the lies, one at a time, expose one, then move on. start with documents from the church itself.

one final word of advice, don't let their blaming you get under your skin, remain calm. It is a natural human reaction when their beliefs (that they are so heavily vested in) are challenged to cast about to blame someone. Also don't expect overnight success. You might just need to let things cool for a while and that means they think you the bad person, if your hubby doesn't care you are lucky, just let it slide.

even if you aren't atheist, the approach talked about here is a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmP9XozKEV0

here are a couple threads that relate a bit
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,758848

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,758839

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,759945,760431#msg-760431

Date: January 14, 2013 12:31PM

Thanks!
"hardest thing for the mo to understand is that their church lies to them.

also it is really hard for them to accept their feelings could be fooled."

You're right.

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 04:43AM

Dogeatdog:

Neither you nor your FIL will convince the other to come around to a new point of view. So point out Article of Faith 11, tell them very firmly that your beliefs no longer align with theirs, but you will respect theirs and expect them to respect yours, and, please, drop this subject before you completely destroy your relationship with your in-laws. (The way I almost did with my parents.) It's just not worth it.

Date: January 14, 2013 12:29PM

I appreciate this sound advice. This will be my next step. My husband is holding out hope really that he can create a chink in their armor - a little 'aha' moment if you will. Mainly, I'm doing it for him, but I'm about at this point because I mainly see what you see. However, if it were my family, I know that I wouldn't want to give up hope either....But, yea, I don't want to be the scapegoat for their blame, and I'm pretty sure I'm currently that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 12:30PM by dogeatdog.

Posted by: the one and only ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 12:31PM

bc thank you.

you response helps me respond to the TBMs in my life. I appreciate the time you put into responding. I know most of the facts, but I have a hard time wording them into a understandable sentience. so once again thank you, I enjoy reading your work.

Date: January 14, 2013 04:59PM

Yes - me too. Your wording is good.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 01:40PM

Your FIL may "know what he knows." That's fine.

What is the point of this exchange? If it's to deconvert your
FIL then forget it.

However if the point is to clarify why YOU are not a believer
then what your FIL "knows" but won't share openly with you is
irrelevant. Keep the discussion on this plane: given the
evidence you present and what YOU know, is your decision to
disengage from Mormonism an honorable one? Is your reaction to
the information you have reasonable and honorable?

Getting TBMs to admit that their church is wrong doesn't work no
matter what the evidence. However when dealing with the
validity of YOUR choices he will have to face it based on the
evidence available to YOU, not on HIS testimony.

I'd phrase the question something like this, "Given what I
know, the evidence I've given you, the experiences I've
related to you, could not a reasonable, honest, honorable
person come to my conclusion? I'm not asking you to agree
that I am correct, just that my conclusion is an honest fit
the evidence available to me. If it is not please enlighten
me with logic or further evidence. But please remember that
someone else's testimony may be evidence to them, but it is
not evidence to me."

Date: January 14, 2013 05:00PM

Hey - I really like that last paragraph.

Date: January 14, 2013 05:10PM

bc, I love your stuff on spiritual confirmation/feelings. I used your BoA stuff verbatim, even though I already had something - yours was better, clearer, and more organized. I am beginning to wonder what your profession is...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 05:15PM by dogeatdog.

Date: January 14, 2013 05:15PM

Note the source of the quiz and the following paragraph is this:

http://www.theamateurthinker.com/2011/02/how-can-we-find-truth-part-4/

Also this is great:

http://www.mormonthink.com/testimonyweb.htm

And I like what joessmithsleftteste has to say about faith among other things - which was an inspiration for some of what I wrote:
https://docs.google.com/a/brightbuilders.com/file/d/0B6IWv1y1m4yzM1psTVF0T3dCNlU/edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 05:16PM by bc.

Date: January 15, 2013 01:19PM

I probably should have just posted the next part of my reply on this thread. I just wanted to make sure you saw it:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,762097,762550

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 05:12AM

Oopsie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 05:13AM by rt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.