Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 09:28AM

so when I tell a TBM that I no longer believe, they are 'sorry' for me. What they cannot comprehend is that this move makes me happier.

It's like you just told someone you got a raise (which you did, at least 10%) and they say I'm so sorry to hear that.

I am thinking we should say don't be sorry for me, I am much happier now, I got a 10% raise and sundays off just by realized I was being fooled! :D cue the big smile.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 09:30AM

The words carry no kindness or compassion.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 09:38AM

Just tell them that you feel sorry for them too. You don't have to explain why, but it puzzles them. They usually don't want to pursue what you meant.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 11:03AM

Love this response!

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 09:52AM

The other response is that leaving the church will leave a hole in your life, that you will be empty. I see leaving the church as getting rid of unnecessary clutter, getting rid of a ball and chain or getting rid of excess baggage.

Date: January 13, 2013 10:11AM

sorry for them, I like that. you are sorry for them in the same way they are are for you.

Date: January 13, 2013 10:18AM

sometimes it is enlightening to ask them why they are sorry for you. Acutally in general so far when they give the wrote TBM response, 'I'm sorry' or 'I'm disappointed' it is good to ask why and provide counter examples.

"you don't believe? I'm so sorry"

hmm thoughtful, 'why is that'

"well you have lost so much."

'you know when I first uncovered the truth I was devastated, I mean I had put so much effort into the church it was difficult to reconcile that with the sham that I found it to be. But I moved on, thankful that I learned to think critically and for myself instead of just doing what others told me to. Now I feel liberation and joy far beyond what I did then. so please don't feel sorry for me I and my family are so much happier now'

"ummmm, ,,uhhh,, well"

'I'm sorry, did I confuse you?'

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 10:13AM

Yeah, I'm sorry that they're trapped in a little box and they don't even know it. I'm sorry that they're spending so much money, when they really can't afford it, on a fraud. It really is sad. So while they're busy feeling sorry for me, I'm feeling really sad for them.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 11:13AM

A pet peeve of mine is when an Christian here's I've left Mormonism and become an atheist - they say "I'm sorry." Arg.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 11:17AM

"Ha-ha-ha! You're sorry for ME?? Ha-ha! No need for that! I'm never been happier or felt more elated in my life!"

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 12:26PM

I've used this one when they say they are sorry for my loss of religion or feel sorry for me...

"That's like telling someone you are sorry they had a tumor removed. Think about that."

It's like saying they are sorry for me that I excised a disease that was taking over my mind and body.

Apologies and thanks to cancer survivors (one who suggested this analogy). Some are able to have the resource-sucking tumor completely removed.

Another analogy I like is that losing religion is like losing a giant parasite. Maybe for some people they benefit from the parasite but for me religion was like a giant tapeworm. Best to poop it out and quit feeding the worm!

Date: January 13, 2013 04:19PM

parasite for us, symbiote for them?

Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 04:29PM

You would say, and I am so sorry for you to have to stay in a cult. But how long do you have still to stay?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.