Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 11:53AM

I listened for it, too. And know what? God would not have let the baby dangle in the car seat for 14 hours. He would have said something sooner. Because he's God, dammit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 12:02PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I listened for it, too. And know what? God would
> not have let the baby dangle in the car seat for
> 14 hours. He would have said something sooner.
> Because he's God, dammit.

God is a bastard.

Aside from leaving the child there for 14 hours. He even killed the child's mother so someone could start a faith promoting story about hearing voices.

His so called mysterious ways sound more like abuse.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:53PM

and yet other news sites (ABC) say that fishermen found the car in the water.....

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 09:34PM

God needs to get better at controlling the media outlets, so they can portray a consistent message about his miracles, and how he kills young mothers in order for people to hear voices,

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 11:59AM

The fireman says that voice was "real" to him. Stories like this have existed for hundreds of years outside of Mormonism. Just read the Journal of the British Society of Psychical Research which contains dozens of similar ones. I, of course, have no way of knowing what actually occurred, but, whatever happened, it certainly was not the "mormon miracle" some want to make it.

Most often, the "voice" is only heard by one person, and, had recording devices been around when some of these occurred, I doubt that anything would have been recorded. Could the baby's mother directed the searchers from beyond the grave? Who knows? For what it's worth, Houdini, who clearly was not a religious person, firmly believed his mother's voice (heard at the time of her death) lead him to the hole in the ice which saved his life. He spent most of the rest of his life attempting to re-contact her to no avail.

A few years back, my friend Jack, who was not religious and has never even been near a Mormon church, confidentially related to me that his dead mother appeared to him in broad daylight when he was wide awake and gave him a loving smile. He suddenly died of a very rare medical condition several months later while in his late sixties. He used to brag about never having a sick day in his life.

Frankly, the older I get and the more aware of these things I become, I honestly find myself less willing to scoff at them. Whether the "stories" actually happened as reported, I have no way of determining, but, in most cases, the recipients certainly feel they did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 12:04PM by Templar.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 12:16PM

Templar Wrote:
> Whether the "stories"
> actually happened as reported, I have no way of
> determining, but, in most cases, the recipients
> certainly feel they did.

Yep. Just like TBMs "feel" the church is true. :)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:47PM

Maybe the Beatles were playing on the car radio.

"HELP me if you can, I'm upside down,
And I do appreciate you being 'round.
HELP me get my feet back on the ground.
Won't you PLEASE, PLEASE, HELP ME!!!!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 03:48PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 03:53PM

I am just glad the baby is okay. I also believe the police heard something and have no need to mock them. It probably has a logical explanation whatever it was. Also, to be fair, they heard whatever they heard before they went into action and rescued the child.Why cant we chock this up to a mystery and be glad the child is alright?

Posted by: lessthenzero ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:33PM

So... had the fireman/policemen not "heard" the voice say "help me" - "help us" (or whatever version) - would they have just left the car in the river and went to lunch? "ahhh - we'll get that car out of the river later, it's not going anywhere and I'm hungry"

Also - if a "voice" directed them to save the baby, why didn't this "voice" tell the neighbor who heard the crash the night before to come save the baby and spare it 14 grueling hours upside down with her dead mother?

Although a lot of people will not agree- for me, my BS detector is on full alarm.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:53PM

Wasn't it a fisherman that discovered the car? He didn't hear any voice. The rescue was going to take place whether a voice was heard or not. Unless the car was seconds away from becoming completely submerged, I don't see how the voice had anything to do with the child being rescued.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 05:04PM

After watching the video, I really don't see why anyone would make a big deal out of this...voice or no voice. They had received two 911 calls from a guy that wasn't alerted to the car through supernatural means. They already knew one or more people were trapped in the car. They may have heard a voice, but it certainly didn't affect the rescue that was already underway.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:41PM

Why didn't they hear something when the car went over the edge?

Why did the "mother".. whoever wait fourteen hours?

I just love it when people believe in the supernatural crap

to prop up their unsubstantiated belief in a sky daddy.

Keep believing it folks in spite of all the evidence to the

contrary.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 03:08AM

After that, perhaps according to those who are attempting to attach divine intervention to this event,the mother waited 14 hours to vocalize the baby's plight to responding rescuers.

That delay could possibly be explained by believers by noting that there may not have been anyone around earlier to whom the mother's distress call could be sent. So she waited 14 hours for a fisherman to show up.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 05:05AM by steve benson.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:57PM

Not saying it was supernatural but I also see no reason to call the policeman liars.Such reports are fairly common and I do believe they heard something. I have no idea what it was.

Posted by: Renie ( )
Date: March 16, 2015 04:59PM

Yeah...I've heard how this baby has such a wonderful guardian angel. Wonderful my ass. Sounds like this guardian angel needs fired for sleeping on he job. If he/she was doing their job the poor baby wouldn't have been hanging upside down in the first place.

Date: March 16, 2015 06:06PM

It was raw video from a police officer's body cam (as obtained by CNN) that, without running commentary, showed first responders approaching the Spanish Fork River, then attempting to find and extricate the trapped victims from the partially-submerged car.

In that raw police cam footage put up by CNN (and to the best that I can recall), no group of officers is seen or heard acknowledging, in real time, that they are "hearing" a supposed "voice."

The CNN video I saw did not contain any news reporter voice-overs of its own; hence, there was no outside interference competing with the the original, raw footage. Based on what I saw in that video, the police officer body cam video footage that has been released by the Spanish Fork PD appears to have been edited somewhere along the line.

I cannot seem (at least at present) to locate online the raw video aired earlier today by CNN. Here is video from "RawStory," covering rescue events from river to hospital: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/watch-dramatic-body-cam-video-of-utah-rescuers-pulling-baby-from-submerged-car/

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 05:06AM by steve benson.

Date: March 16, 2015 06:40PM

In another thread, poster "just browsing" declared the following:

"For all the non believers in an afterlife. Comments [requested].

"LINK FROM DESERET NEWS--4 police officers heard an adult woman's voice pleading to be helped coming from a partially submerged car--Only occupants inside were a deceased woman and an unconscious 2 year old. SPOOKY !!!!

"What think you?"

("For All the Non-Believers in an Afterlife, Comments," at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1532848,1532848#msg-1532848)
_____

As the saying goes, dead women tell no tales--but believers in non-deadism do.

All of the following are "proof" of an "afterlife," of "God," of the "supernatural"? Not so fast, folks:

"'II FELT LIKE I COULD HEAR someone telling me, "I need help,' [Officer Bryan] DeWitt told CNN affiliate KSL. 'It was very surreal, something that I felt like I could hear.'" [emphasis added]

"Tyler Beddoes, a third officer at the scene, said the same.

"'Someone said "help me" inside that car,' he said.

("Baby who survived car crash in Utah river is getting better," at: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2015%2F03%2F09%2Fus%2Futah-baby-alive-submerged-car%2F&ei=xv_9VLqKKYinNoeUgKgH&usg=AFQjCNG89jK6Ix774Fy3muuiECc54LkmeQ&bvm=bv.87611401,d.eXY

"'I remember hearing a voice that didn't sound like a child just say, "Help me," one of the rescuers, Officer Jared Warner, told NBC affiliate KSL. 'TO ME, it was plain as day,' he added." [emphasis added]

("Lily Groesbeck Rescue: Utah Cops Recall Pulling Toddler From Overturned Car in River," at: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CCcQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcnews.com%2Fnews%2Fus-news%2Futah-rescuers-recall-pulling-toddler-overturned-car-river-n319831&ei=xv_9VLqKKYinNoeUgKgH&usg=AFQjCNGvigvAVw3yJy_pB8ceeb7ilbVdVw&bvm=bv.87611401,d.eXY)

"Four Spanish Fork police officers all said they heard it.

"'We've gotten together and just talkin' about it, and all four of us can swear that we heard somebody inside the car saying, "Help,"' officer Jared Warner recalled Sunday. . . .

"Dewitt was one of the first officers to arrive. The incident was originally reported as a possible abandoned vehicle in the river. But as he got closer, he said he could see the mother inside. Three more officers arrived almost simultaneously at the river.

"'We were down on the car and a distinct voice says, "Help me, help me,"' Dewitt recalled.

"'It wasn't just something that was just in our heads. TO ME it was plain as day cause I remember hearing a voice,' officer Tyler Beddoes said. [emphasis added] 'I think it was Dewitt who said, "We're trying. We're trying our best to get in there."

"'How do you explain that? I don't know,' he said, adding that the voice didn't sound like a child."

("Rescuers Recall 'Distinct Voice' that Spurred Them to Rescue Trapped Toddler," at; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ksl.com%2F%3Fnid%3D148%26sid%3D33747089&ei=tw3-VMnEM5PcgwTq4IKQDw&usg=AFQjCNEcswSKOgntjbIRws-eEkC6IBFd8Q&bvm=bv.87611401,d.eXY)

"The officers who rescued a Utah toddler from death’s doorstep in a submerged car on Sunday said their adrenaline-fueled heroics were triggered by a mysterious plea. . . .

"The vehicle crashed into the river around 10:30 p.m., according to a witness who told police he heard the accident. The car was not visible from the roadway, and was not discovered until 14 hours later, when a fisherman spotted it at 12:24 p.m. Saturday and called police.

"That’s when Beddoes and his partners arrived. The witness told them that he could see an arm through the window, and the four men plunged into the freezing rapids to see if they could find any survivors.

"Then, suddenly, they started hearing the distinct sound of a woman’s voice, calling to them to help.

"'We heard a voice saying "help me, WE'RE in here." [emphasis added. [NOTE: Now the voice is claimed to have been speaking for both mother and child, as opposed to just "me".] It was clear as day. We replied back 'hang in there, we're trying what we can.'

"The voice motivated them to push harder because they believed there may be someone inside who was still alive. With their adrenaline pumping they pulled the heavy, water-filled car onto its side and discovered the driver was dead.

"The officers had no explanation for the mysterious voice that appeared to come from inside the car. Beddoes said he said he wouldn’t believe it really happened JAD NOT THE OTHER OFFICERS HEARD IT AS WELL. [emphasis added]

“'I don’t know what I THOUGHT I HEARD,' he said. 'I’m not a typically religious guy. It’s hard to explain--it was definitely something. Where and why it came from, I’m not sure.'"

("'Mysterious Voice' Led Utah Officers to Child Who Survived for 14 Hours in Submerged Car," at: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fmysterious-voice-leads-police-baby-car-crash-article-1.2142732&ei=kg7-VLvcDsamggTDooAY&usg=AFQjCNEtOY5a8jodSrBJb8caoz_3eHKSSQ&bvm=bv.87611401,d.eXY)

"As four Utah police officers approached an overturned car discovered below a bridge in an icy river, they heard a woman's voice asking softly for help. . . .

"And that voice? Beddoes said he and the three officers talked later and concurred they all heard the same thing. They can't explain it, but have no doubt they heard it.

"'That's the part that really sends me for a whirl,' Beddoes said. 'I'm not really religious, BUT THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK OF.' [emphasis added] . . .

"Beddoes said the family has thanked him and the other officers for helping to save little Lily. As he recalls the events of those chaotic moments, on a frigid but sunny day, Beddoes still can't believe the girl survived--and still can't make sense of that undeniable voice coming from the car.

"'We all got together and we all heard the same type of thing,' Beddoes said. 'We just can't grasp what we were hearing.'"

("Toddler Improving After 14 Hours in Upside-Down Car in River," at: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CCcQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2Faponline%2F2015%2F03%2F09%2Fus%2Fap-us-car-in-river-infant-found.html&ei=TBD-VLzrNYiUNtPXgfAI&usg=AFQjCNG2EhHZv2Seclmct1X61ugZ54vWaw&bvm=bv.87611401,d.eXY)

Whoa. Take a deep breath.

Did the officers perhaps also "FEEL" they heard someone say, "help me"? Were they subliminally predisposed to "hear" a voice because another said he "FELT" he had heard a voice? Or that, as one of the officers officer stated, "TO ME," [that voice] was as plain as day"? Were the officers affected by what one responding officer said "I THOUGHT I heard"?

"Hear" we go again. A supernatural spin being put on an event that doesn't automatically or necessarily require "GOD" as the explanation.

*Critical reaction to the supposedly mystical aspect of the story:

--"I'm skeptical. People claim to see UFOs, be abducted, see heaven when they pass away, see dead relatives etc. People as witnesses often believe they correctly identify suspects in a lineup. I think human minds are really easily swayed into creating memories that may or may not be based on real events. It wouldn't surprise me if someone told her about the event and she reconstructed it in her head, and now believes she vividly remembers it."

--"That's . . . true. Either way, that's all I'm willing to go into on that one. There's not much point to trying to prove a personal story."

("Baby Found Alive 13 Hours after Car Plunges into a River in Utah"

For those willing to swallow tales of the "sacred," superstitious and sensational, the following article is recommended, "Child’s Rescue Swirls with Supernatural":

"An 18-month-old child survives a tragic car crash into a river, a crash that likely instantly killed her mother. She is rescued 14 hours later, alive, still strapped into her car seat. Rescuers then tell the media that they were prompted by an adult female voice that called “Help” from the overturned vehicle. What are we to think of this? Miracle? Guardian angel? Or misinterpretation? The dramatic story has commentators arguing about God and supernatural intervention.

"'Rescuers Claim Mystery Voice Called to Them to Save Toddler Trapped in Car That Overturned in Utah River'

"'Lily wasn’t moving when rescuers found her, hanging upside down in her mother’s smashed car. It had flipped over into a frigid Utah river half a day before, and the baby was still strapped in her seat.

"'Lily’s mother, Lynn Jennifer Groesbeck, died in the crash that had landed their car on its roof in the Spanish Fork River. She was 25 years old. . . .

"'A mystery arose from the rescue: The police officers who entered the water say they heard a voice calling for help.

"'The mother was dead, but the officers said that they heard an adult’s voice calling to them.

“'The four of us heard a distinct voice coming from the car,' Warner told CNN. 'To me, it didn’t sound like a child’s voice.'

"'The voice gave the rescuers a surge of adrenaline needed to push the vehicle upright, he said.'

A local heard the crash the night before but could not see anything strange. A fisherman spotted the vehicle. So, this was not an isolated area. Could there have been someone else around? As suggested on Group of Fort, perhaps a homeless woman was there. Or, the story notes that all the rescuers “discussed” the event. Could it be that one heard what he thought was a cry for help (but instead was an echo or other noise misperceived) and the others agreed? Or, shall we assume that after 14 hours, now was the time that God or the guardian angel chose to act? That’s confusing.

"The mysterious voice did not actually save the child since rescuers were already on the scene and checking for survivors. What saved this child was the car seat, the person who called emergency services, and the rescuers who got her out. No miracle here."

*Attached reader commentary on the above:

-"Not surprising. Religious opportunists will exploit any occasion to put a religious spin on any feel-good story. Isn’t it near Easter enough to call it an Easter Miracle?"

-"Riversides can be quite noisy, depending on what the water is interacting with as it passes by, rocks, trees, etc. And in that circumstance, the ‘cry’ could have been caused by rushing water interacting with parts of the half-submerged car. Also, the rescuers would have been trained and primed to listen for calls for help as part of their job, so perhaps they erred on the side of caution when interpreting the sound as human caused."

-"Heard this story on the 'Today Show' and, naturally, everyone had to chime in on what a ‘miracle’ it was. It seems that anytime someone escapes death or serious injury in any sort of accident it’s a ‘miracle’ to everyone working on television. Wouldn’t it be more of a miracle if everyone in the accident or tragedy walked away without injury rather than one or two? To me the 'miracle' is that some of these folks throwing the term around actually have jobs in journalism."

-"So, it was a miracle the child lived (and to be clear I’m happy the child survived)--but what about the mother who died? She didn’t deserve a miracle? Where is HER miracle? And wouldn’t the child be happier with a living mother?"

-"I was born and raised not far from where this story happened. And from my personal experience, I can say these sort of faith-promoting rumors have a long-standing tradition. Most active members of the pre-dominant religion [Mormon] are always on the lookout for divine interventions, personal revelations and anything that supports their beliefs. Almost every family has some kind of story of a relative that was saved by a vision or a voice. Chance occurrences never seem to happen--always there is some divine purpose. These stories are pretty much a dime a dozen throughout the region. My comment does not mean I think the men involved are liars. Far from it. They probably sincerely believe they were guided. Its just when you are raised to see and expect miracles, you are very likely to experience one–or assume what you see is one."

("Child’s Rescue Swirls with Supernatural Commentary," by "idoubtit," 11 March 2015, on "Doubtful News: Belief/Superstition, Paranormal, Perception, Unsolved Mystery,"at: http://doubtfulnews.com/2015/03/childs-rescue-swirls-with-supernatural-commentary/)
_____

As much as we may deeply want to believe that a baby, trapped in the rear seat of a half-submerged car with her dead mother in the front seat, was calling out for help and that, through God's power police officers heard this distress cry and rescued the child, such tales can have other than supernatural explanations.

-A case in point:

"A business man happened to be in Triest [Italy] at the time of [an] earthquake. Upon learning of the disaster he
started immediately for Messina. When he reached the destroyed city he was told that his wife and children had been rescued and sent to Naples. When he reached Naples he was informed that they had been sent to Rome. At Rome he learned that they had probably perished. He returned to Messina with some
workmen, located his house, and eight days after the earthquake, his wife and children were rescued alive.

"Where several living persons were entombed together they took turns in calling in the hope that their voices might be heard. Rescue parties as they went about their labors called in
loud voices, 'Any one there?' In one instance a party heard the cry, 'Maria, Maria.' After many hours of digging the owner of the voice proved to be nothing more nor less than a hungry parrot."

("The Spell of Sicily: Garden of the Mediterranean," by Will Seymoure, Monroe," at: https://archive.org/stream/spellsicilygard00monrgoog/spellsicilygard00monrgoog_djvu.txt; and https://archive.org/stream/spellsicilygard00monrgoog/spellsicilygard00monrgoog_djvu.txt)

-A similar story:

"A woman thought someone was in danger, but when she went to explore the situation, it turned out that the person in distress was an escaped bird in a tree.

"An unidentified woman was on the top of the hill near the Holland Hill School, which is located at 105 Meadowcroft Rd. [Fairfield, CT], around 5 p.m. when she told police that she heard someone screaming.

"'The voice kept saying "daddy," "daddy," "daddy," then said "what,"' said Fairfield police Lt James Perez. 'Almost if the child was talking to someone else.'

"The woman began searching for the person, who she believed was a child in distress.

"'As she was looking for the source of the voice, she kept following it and brought her to a tree near the school where she looked up and saw it was a parrot,' Perez said.

"After calling animal control, the officer was unable to remove the parrot because it was 25 feet up the tree. The animal control officer was forced to call the fire department.

"When firefighters arrived, they used a ling pole to get the bird out of the tree, which flew to a nearby bamboo tree area, police said. Firefighters were able to chase the parrot out of the area, net the animal and bring it to a local shelter.

"During the whole process, authorities said the parrot, who is named Ralphie, said several words including 'hello,' 'daddy' and 'what.'

"The parrot had been reported missing by its owner, Christopher Gerbasi, of Fairfield, and had been gone for days. The woman located the bird about a mile from his home.

"'We're just happy there were no children that were hurt and that it wasn't a child at all,' Perez said. 'But in fact a bird just yearning for its father or its daddy, and we got it back to him.'"

("Woman Mistakes Parrot for Child in Distress," at http://www.wfsb.com/story/25771046/woman-mistakes-child-in-distress-for-missing-parrott#ixzz3TxKzOni7)

Sometimes these faithfully-relayed stories of miraculous rescue, while inspiring, can be nothing more than flights of fancy.
______

The following was written by a desperate religious believer, apparently unable to comprehend how his group-orgie in the supernatural can be shot to pieces by what he calls "scientific" arguments (some, admittedly, more scientific than others, but let's go ahead and watch as he lists them all):

"'Top Ten Scientific Explanations of Miracle of Sun at Fatima'

"'The Miracle of the Dancing Sun at Fatima,' which was seen by 70,000 people on October 13th, 1917, has been written about often. But many people continually attempt to explain away the vision of the sun dancing in the sky at a foretold time.

"Avelino de Almeida, wrote articles for 'O Século,' Portugal's most widely-circulated and influential newspaper, which was pro-government and anti-clerical at the time. Almeida's previous articles had been to satirize the previously reported events at Fatima but here's what he wrote that day:

"'Before the astonished eyes of the crowd, whose aspect was biblical as they stood bare-headed, eagerly searching the sky, the sun trembled, made sudden incredible movements outside all cosmic laws--the sun "danced" according to the typical expression of the people.'

"But secularists have amassed an enormous amount of explanations as to why we should not believe our own eyes. Here are the astounding reasons they've amassed so we should believe nothing at all special happened in Portugal that great day.

"1. Stratospheric Dust. Steuart Campbell, writing for the 1989 edition of 'Journal of Meteorology,' postulated that a cloud of stratospheric dust changed the appearance of the Sun on 13 October, making it easy to look at, and causing it to appear yellow, blue, and violet and to spin. In support of his hypothesis, Mr. Campbell reports that a blue and reddened sun was reported in China as documented in 1983.

"2. ESP! (Always my favorite) Author Lisa Schwebel claims that the event was a supernatural (but non-miraculous) extra-sensory phenomenon. Schwebel notes that the solar phenomenon reported at Fátima is not unique--there have been several reported cases of high-pitched religious gatherings culminating in the sudden and mysterious appearance of lights in the sky.

"3. Mock-Sun. Didn't even know this existed but it's worth a listen. Joe Nickell, a skeptic and investigator of paranormal phenomena, claims that the position of the phenomenon, as described by the various witnesses, is at the wrong azimuth and elevation to have been the sun. He suggests the cause may have been a 'sundog.' Sometimes referred to as a parhelion or 'mock sun,' a 'sundog' is an atmospheric optical phenomenon associated with the reflection/refraction of sunlight by the numerous small ice crystals that make up cirrus or cirrostratus clouds. A sundog is, however, a stationary phenomenon, and would not explain the reported appearance of the 'dancing sun.' So Nickell further suggests an explanation for this phenomena may lie in temporary retinal distortion, caused by staring at the intense light and/or the effect of darting the eyes to and fro so as to avoid completely fixed gazing (thus combining image, afterimage and movement). So, the people shook their heads and though a mock-sun was dancing. All 70,000? Prety ridiculous, huh?

"4. Dust cloud! Paul Simons, in an article entitled "'Weather Secrets of Miracle at Fatima,' states that he believes it possible that some of the optical effects at Fatima may have been caused by a cloud of dust from the Sahara.

"5. Ye ol mass hallucination theory. Author Kevin McClure claims that the crowd at Cova da Iria may have been expecting to see signs in the sun, as similar phenomena had been reported in the weeks leading up to the miracle. On this basis he believes that the crowd saw what it wanted to see. (Yeah, because that happens all the time.) But McClure's account fails to explain similar reports of people miles away, who by their own testimony were not even thinking of the event at the time, or the sudden drying of people's sodden, rain-soaked clothes.

"6. UFO! It has been argued that the Fatima phenomenon was an alien craft. Of course, either that craft happened to come on the day that the three little children said a miracle would occur. Or the apparitions were all the works of little green men. This all sounds a lot more real than the Church's explanation.

"7. Solar Storm. A gigantic coronal mass ejection (CME) occurred. Every 11 years, our sun goes through a period of solar storms and these storms have been with us for
centuries of recorded history. Solar flares emit high-speed particles that cause the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis. Well that explains it all right there. Because we all know the Northern Lights look exactly like the Sun dancing. Or not.

"8. Peer pressure. Among a uniform people sharing a particular religious belief, it is very easy for individuals to feel social pressure to conform to whatever is seen as a part of 'how things should be" for 'true believers.' 70,000 people. That's pretty strong peer pressure especially for the people who saw it 20 miles away.

"9. Not everyone saw it. Astronomers noticed no dancing in the sky from all over the world. The dancing sun was a regional event thus disproving it. A quick question would be the fact that it was a regional event should prove that something out of the ordinary happened. If it happened worldwide it would be written off as simply an astronomical event because the whole world saw it.

"10. An Eclipse. These fellas don't mind contradicting themselves. This would be a very, very regional eclipse. Wouldn't astronomers have noted the eclipse?

"Bonus Reason:

"11. Evolution. This is sadly from Institute of Physics, Catholic Univeristy of Louvain. Evolution has provided us with the infamous 'zoom and loom effect.' It tends to appear when the brain is confronted with the two-dimensional retinal image of an object thatis situated at some unknown distance. The brain will then consider the possibility that it could come closer, by performing an illusory mental zoom, where the apparent size of the object isprogressively increased. This results from the fact that evolution preserved the tendency to take into account the possibility of a dangerous approach: a rapid evasive action could bebeneficial for survival. When the “idea” of an approach does not lead to any real danger, theperceived object returns to its normal place. Thus the dancing sun. Amazing. 70,000 people thought the Sun was a predator coming to eat them. When they realized the Sun had no teeth they "zoomed and loomed" it back to where it belonged. That might just be my favorite one.

"So, after listening to these level-headed scientists(?) explain away Fatima hasn't it convinced you to join the Richard Dawkins fan club? Me neither."

("Top Ten Scientific Explanations of 'Miracle of Sun at Fatima,' on "Creative Minority Report," at: http://www.creativeminorityreport.com/2007/10/scientists-explain-away-miracle-of-sun.html)

Whatever, Einstein. No "Dancing Sun Miracle at Fatima" will melt your brain freeze. Let me tell you about the Rescuing River Voice Miracle at Spanish Fork . . .

The bottom line from the bottom of that river is that the baby survived because it was strapped in its infant seat hanging upside down in the rear section of the car above the near-freezing water. The mother died because she was submerged in the front driver's seat after the car hit a cement barrier at the south end of bridge and vaulted into the river. The baby's survival wasn't "miraculous." It was a matter of basic, material, explainable science.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 06:57PM by steve benson.

Date: March 16, 2015 09:01PM

. . . give an answer. It's a calculated teaser that leads nowhere. (Respinning the same story later on in the news cycle today, Cooper is now, like some carniverous carnival barker, asking viewers as a lurid lead-in, "Can you hear the mysterious voice they [the police officers} say was crying out for help?" He calls it "an unsolved mystery," like some episode from Tales of the Crypt. "Whose voice was it?," Cooper asks. Shameless.

In these attempts to squeeze more drama out of the event and the identity of "that voice" (as Cooper calls it), he is now showing an officer's body-cam video where one officer is seen in the river, next to the car, yelling, "We're helping! We're coming!" Another rescuing officer later says that he heard a "voice" calling out, "Help us! Help us!," emanating from "inside" the half-submerged vehicle. He said he couldn't determine where the "voice" was coming from but claimed, "We all heard it."

This is enough for some, apparently, to conclude that the "voice" came from a dead person sending out a distress signal from the quarters of the "afterlife." Perhaps from the dead mother who was found submerged and drowned in the front seat of the vehicle, where she had been for 14 hours, while her infant was dangling above the waterline, unconscious, in the rear of the car, still in her infant seat?

Really?

This is where religion can get downright ghoulish.

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 11:55PM by steve benson.

Posted by: inmyhappyplace ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 02:44AM

After reviewing the video, I wanted to correct my previous post. It is at the *2:00 minute mark* that a muffled woman's voice can be heard and the officer then responds by saying, "We're helping! We're coming!"

Note: I had to use my headset with the volume all the way up to hear the voice.

Date: March 17, 2015 03:16AM

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 02:59AM

Why is everyone assuming this family are TBMs? The dad is tattooed.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 03:03AM

What voice? I don't hear a voice.

Date: March 17, 2015 03:12AM

A muffled woman's voice is definitely at the 2:00 minute mark. I can hear it, and my DH can hear it. The officer immediately responds.

I don't think people are claiming that the family is Mormon, but rather that the four police officers who heard the voice may be Mormon given that they are in Spanish Fork, a Utah County town with a high Mormon population.

Date: March 17, 2015 03:20AM

I didn't definitely hear "a muffled woman's voice" at that point, either. Besides, at this juncture (some 14 hours after the car went into the river), the mother was dead--but was now guiding the rescuers to her and her child?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 03:22AM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 03:27AM

OK, I can't help that you guys can't hear what is obviously there. I wanted to be sure that i heard what I did,there. so I put my headset on and turned the volume up all the way. It is definitely there. Maybe you need to get your hearing checked out by an ENT doctor?

I am not a believer in the supernatural or the paranormal so I have no reason or motive to say there is a voice if there isn't.

Date: March 17, 2015 03:58AM

. . . but only after you donned headphones?

I can't help it if you're hearing something that is NOT obviously there.

Maybe you heard something, but what makes you so sure it was actually a "muffled woman's voice"?

According to God's "word" in holy writ, the Israelites heard thunder from Mt. Sinai and claimed the sound was actually God speaking to them. The voice of Jesus is compared in scripture to "rushing waters." But in neither instance is it actually a voice--unless you can prove it so.

Good luck, or god luck, as the case may be. :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 04:11AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: March 17, 2015 03:45AM

Yeah, it's there. It sounds like "Help me, someone help me!" It's followed by the EMT's immediate response echoing "We're helping! we're coming!" He sure acted as though he heard a cry for help.

The entire video is just amazing. Voice or no, I sure appreciate the efforts of those involved to save the baby.

Date: March 17, 2015 04:05AM

. . . enough to get them to exert more joint effort at rescuing the victims, although the mother, unfortunately, turned out to be deceased.

At any rate, it's of course a great thing that little Lily came out of it alive, even though there is no compelling proof that a dead woman was actually voicing directions to the first responders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 04:06AM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 04:11AM

1. Those nearby claimed to hear a voice.
2. The EMT recording the event responded as if he heard a voice.
3. There is a voice on the recording immediately prior to the EMT's response.
4. There is no compelling proof that a dead woman was voicing directions.
5. It's a great thing that the baby was saved.

Beyond any of this, the rest is conjecture.

Date: March 17, 2015 04:15AM

There are possible empirical explanations that are far more compelling than defaulting to the claim that what was really going on was direction-giving by a dead human ventriloquist speaking in muffled tones. (The popular claim by believers, at least at this point, seems to be that it was the dead mother's voice guiding the rescuers in).

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1538302,1538728#msg-1538728

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 04:17AM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 04:21AM

I'll go with the trained parrot explanation for now. Which one are you choosing?

Date: March 17, 2015 04:31AM

. . . or are inclined to hear.

It's like "seeing" the face of Jesus in a shower drain stain on a burnt piece of toast. Folks try to square the unfamiliar with what's, in the experience, familiar---like pictures, paintings, sculptures, etc., of Jesus in pervasive popular culture.

Ain't that complicated, really:

"Why It's Perfectly Normal to See Jesus in Toast"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.livescience.com%2F45414-brain-face-pareidolia.html&ei=jOUHVejmKsGDNraXhIAF&v6u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-v6exp1-v4.metric.gstatic.com%2Fgen_204%3Fip%3D204.155.163.247%26ts%3D1426580859729450%26auth%3D55pp2yfmyk2rmfbrollxxm6jsqfwngen%26rndm%3D0.3741646574344486&v6s=2&v6t=24387&usg=AFQjCNF_SHCMoyV6ck9WWFH83h1yXDPOFw&bvm=bv.88198703,d.eXY

"Pareidolia"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skepdic.com%2Fpareidol.html&ei=FeYHVYLPCcuqNqOKhIAD&usg=AFQjCNGV5JdTGHcmfIz8DeOdsorrftILiw&bvm=bv.88198703,d.eXY

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 04:35AM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 04:34AM

that you don't believe it was actually a voice you heard? I can't tell how you're parsing your replies.

Wouldn't a nearby trained parrot make more sense than an image of Jesus on burnt toast?

Date: March 17, 2015 04:38AM

. . even if it sounded human, doesn't mean that it was human.

To believe that it was requires for some people, an afterlife full of dead people communicating with mortals down below; disembodied human "spirits" talking without the benefit of lungs or a voice box; and other supernatural wonders that make no sense, or senses, so to speak.

Date: March 17, 2015 04:40AM

steve benson Wrote:
> . . even if it sounded human, doesn't mean that
> it was human.
>
> To believe that it was requires for some people,
> an afterlife full of dead people communicating
> with mortals down below; disembodied human
> "spirits" talking without the benefit of lungs
> or a voice box; and other supernatural wonders
> that make no sense, or senses, so to speak.

This is the genius of your trained parrot suggestion. No need for any of that complicated afterlife stuff.

Date: March 17, 2015 04:46AM

They then parrot it back in the form of religious-belief mantras.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 04:50AM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 04:56AM

steve benson Wrote:
> They then parrot it back in the form of
> religious-belief mantras.

You'll get no argument from me. And if you think humans are adept at concocting afterlife tales, you should see some of the tales they concoct to explain things during life.

We are an imaginative species!

Date: March 17, 2015 04:57AM

Date: March 17, 2015 04:37AM

Steve Benson, I first listened to the video without my headset and thought I heard something right before the officer responded. I then used my headset to block out background noise because we live on a noisy street. That is when I verified that I heard the muffled voice just before the officer responded. As I stated, I have no motive to state anything other than what I, myself, heard. So give it up and stop trying to twist this into something it's not. It is nice of you to at least acknowledge that the rescuers saved a little girl's life.

In all the reports I have read about this tragic accident, I have not found one comment as to when the estimated time of death of the mother was. There seems to be a lot of assumption here that she was long gone by the time the car was found. Is it not possible that she was still alive as the rescuers were working to turn the car over?

Thank you, Tall Man Short Hair, for your comments. Watching the rescuers work to save that little girl was amazing!

Date: March 17, 2015 04:43AM

You heard what you thought was a human voice, and that only happened after you put on your headset.

Review some of the original claims made by officers involved, in which they say they "thought" or "felt" that they had heard a human voice (their words, not mine).

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1538302,1538728#msg-1538728

Your motives may be pure, but they are not a substitute for temporal realities. That's where you opt for your religious faith explanation. It's a common human default position when something seems inexplicable: i.e., filling the knowldedge gap with "the god of the gaps."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 04:51AM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 05:00AM

steve benson Wrote:
> You heard what you thought was a human voice, and
> that only happened after you put on your headset.
>
>
> Review some of the original claims made by
> officers involved, in which they say they
> "thought" or "felt" that they had heard a human
> voice (their words, not mine).
>
> http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1538302,1538
> 728#msg-1538728
>
>
> Your motives may be pure, but they are not a
> substitute for temporal realities. That's where
> you opt for your religious faith option. It's a
> common human default position when something seems
> inexplicable: i.e., filling the knowldedge gap
> with "the god of the gaps."

Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about. I do not have a "religious faith option" whatsoever and I am not filling in the "knowledge gap" to explain the inexplicable. Just show me were the officers report, or the coroner's report states that the mother was dead long before the rescuers arrived.

Otherwise, I do suggest you go get your hearing checked out.

Date: March 17, 2015 05:08AM

The mother was dead.

The baby was unconscious.

What's your Door #3?

(As far as me getting my hearing checked, you're the one who needed the headset).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 05:08AM by steve benson.

Date: March 17, 2015 05:30AM

Give it up, Steve. There is a voice.

You are typically very diligent in documenting your posts. Where is your evidence that the mother died long before the rescuers arrived? Although I could have easily missed it, I haven't seen an official statement to that fact.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.