Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 12:02PM

I was inspired by this thread:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,914921

When I was growing up, I heard pretty frequently that mormons were proud to not be considered Christians, that they believed that they had the "fullness" of the gospel, and were therefore (paraphrasing) better than regular Christians.

Did anyone else hear that too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 12:35PM

Yep!! I remember being taught that "all other denominations were in sin" because they didn't have the "gospel or new and everlasting covenants". One of the bigwigs, I think SWK, made a big stink about Mormons being peculiar to Christians because they didn't have what Mormons had, blah blah blah.

I do find it extremely ironic that now, they're all about "oh yeah, we're Christians, too! We put "Jesus Christ" in our title, and in really big bold letters, so that makes us Christians."

But growing up, I never got the impression that we were mainline Christians at all. It was practically made a point of pride to NOT be Christians. Now all of a sudden, they're backtracking and butt kissing to try to get in good with Christians.

Posted by: anony57 ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 12:47PM

I distinctly remember in the late 60s being taught to parrot "we're not Christians, we're Mormons". Now when I say that to Mormons, I'm accused of lying and under the influence of satan.

Posted by: theGleep ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 02:52PM

anony57 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I distinctly remember in the late 60s being taught
> to parrot "we're not Christians, we're Mormons".
> Now when I say that to Mormons, I'm accused of
> lying and under the influence of satan.

I was taught that, as well - but I was raised outside of Utah. My Utah friends were never taught such a thing (why would they be...the question here is "are you Mormon?")

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:39PM

I heard it all the time. Mormons were definitely NOT protestants, and were far above every other so-called Christian. Has tscc changed its mind?

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:48PM

I was taught this in Utah as a child. I am only 23.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 06:58PM

I grew up in Utah, I don't recall being taught specifically that we were not Christian, but more importantly that we were Mormon. Nothing else mattered. I didn't even know what types of faith existed because as far as I knew there was only one church that mattered and that was the Mormon Church. I recall having a friend that was Baptist in first grade, I had no clue what that meant. In fifth grade I had a friend that belonged to the Assembly of God. That was the first I became aware of other faiths. I remember if we had questions about a fellow students religious status and if we knew they weren't Mormon, by default we referred to them as "Christian". In all honesty, I don't recall ever hearing the term "Christian" within any Mormon context until the early nineties. I honestly don't believe that the church even cared about the word until they became interested in becoming "mainstream".

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 07:27AM

Some things that are true are not useful.

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 07:34AM

All christian churches are abominations so why would mormons want to be like the abominable ones.

Do they have better snowmen?

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 10:54AM

Outsider's view, but been to SM and SS with DW. I sure got the message--though more implied than stated--that Mormons were way better than "these other sects"--me. Also implied in the "we're Christians" was, "really, we're the ONLY Christians."

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 02:16PM

I had a somewhat similar experience growing up in Christian Science. Whereas JS claimed LDS was the "restored" church and gospel, Mary Baker Eddy claimed that Christian Science, through her "textbook," Science and Health With Key To the Scriptures, was the rediscovery of "the fullness of the Gospel and the restoaration of primitive Christianity and its lost element of healing."

Such claims of recovery of something lost from the time of Christ and the apostles shows up among many cults--it's a strong indicator of deviant doctrine. In my personal experience, learning about various similarities Mary Baker Eddy had with Joseph Smith, Jehovah's Witnesses, the Moonies, Scientology, etc. etc. helped me understand, and just as importantly, ACCEPT, that Christian Science was both deviant and dangerous.

Ironically, both LDS and Christian Science are trying to reposition/repackage themselves as "just another Christian denomination," when for years they were prideful, looking down on all the inferior, garden-variety Christians.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 02:49PM

Pre-1990 temple ceremony is undeniably clear on Mormonism and Christianity. The other religions were in existence as agents of Satan. I don't care that the managed it out.

Mormons see Christian religions as agents of the devil, there is only One True Chirch. The only reason they seek acceptance is for their social benefit.

Back into that box shaped like Utah, you cult of Joseph and Brigham.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.