Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 01:41AM

Snippets:

"I am happy to write a public letter of apology to ... countless Mormon readers who responded negatively to my characterization.
"I am sorry that they were unaware that I read the Book of Mormon back in 2006.

"I am sorry that the science of genetics has refuted claims made in the Book of Mormon....
"I am sorry about the plagiarism of the Holy Bible that runs through the Book of Mormon.
"I am sorry that among the 33 well-documented plural wives of Joseph Smith, there were close to a dozen unions in which the wife was already married to another man.
"I am sorry that Smith also coerced teenagers into marrying him by promising their families a place in heaven.
"I am sorry that the Book of Mormon, which Joseph Smith claims to have transcribed from the golden plates given to him by the Angel Moroni, says the following: 'Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, Saith the Lord.' (Jacob 2:24).
"Finally, I am sorry that my Mormon readers have unfairly accused me of criticizing Mormonism without doing my homework."

http://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/2013/06/05/my-apology-to-mormon-readers-n1612799/page/full

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 02:05AM

Wow! He didn't pull any punches there did he. I recommend the complete version it's a great read.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 02:27AM

BURN!

Posted by: thc64 ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 02:43AM

I hope my mommy don't read this it'll make her cry.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 09:46AM

thc64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope my mommy don't read this it'll make her cry.

Maybe you should send it to her? Just a thought.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 11:17AM

This article is stirring up quite a hornet's nest in the comments section.

(They can say "good-bye" to a lot of their Mormon readers!)

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 05, 2013 11:41AM

Anyone here remember a time when mormons were OK with being called non-Christians, because they thought they were BETTER than Christians?

Posted by: nomoinprovo ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 05:37PM

Just last year a neighbor was proud to say he wasn't a Christian.

Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 04:00PM

While the author of that article isn't wrong about much of his "apologies" he comes off as yet another self-righteous Christian.

It seems rather hypocritical to make fun of crazy Mormon beliefs while he himself believes that God - who is all powerful - had to sacrifice himself to himself to appease himself, because a rib woman ate some fruit that a talking snake gave to her 6000 years ago.

Makes perfect sense.

Mormonism is demonstrably false but I have always thought - and always will - that it made WAY more sense than a lot of what Christianity tries to pass off as doctrine.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 04:16PM

I think the context was an example he wrote, which was rightly inflammatory, then some kolobian co-fascists took umbrage with his example and demanded he apologize.

apologize or what, I don't know.

but then he started flaming away.

he's a columnist and can write whatever the hell he wants, or his employer allows. if some kolobian demands action, well, they may not get exactly what they demanded.

Posted by: cecil0812 ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 05:30PM

He certainly can write whatever he wants but if he's going to act like a self-righteous Christian that believes in nonsense and makes fun of other people for their nonsense... I have the right to call him out on his bullshit :)

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: June 06, 2013 06:31PM

That article was fantastic. I can't find the comments section - someone should make sure the guy has a link to Mormonthink in case there is a prolonged flame war. Be great if he covered the first vision, hat, and money digging in the next installment.

Posted by: Mgordon103 ( )
Date: June 12, 2013 04:39PM

Nowhere in Mr. Adams commentary does he acknowledge that the only authoritative judge of who is and who is not a Christian is, and can only be, Christ.

I care absolutely nothing for the drivel that consists of his article. I don't even care whether any of his claims are true; most of them appear not to be true but it is irrelevant.

I do not care how many wives YOU have, or how you got them, or whether they are sisters to each other, or what channel you watch on TV.

Only one thing matters in this context -- did he present to the world an accurate knowledge of God? I believe he did.

If you think you have a better, different, idea; how did you obtain your idea?

If you think there is NO God at all, why are you participating?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 12, 2013 04:44PM

I must admit I read your post a couple times and it's difficult to follow. Maybe you were emotional when you typed it.

I think you said, "the article is dumb; the article is mostly wrong.. mostly; you can have as many wives as you want; mr. adams described the god i believe in; my god can beat up your god; people who don't believe in a god should not practice free speech.

Is that about right?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 02:02AM

Lol

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 11:06AM

I beg to differ. From what I read--and what I hear in the Mo meeting houses and read in Joseph Fielding Smith and Bruce McConkie--this guy is spot on.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: June 12, 2013 08:07PM

I am sorry that Joseph Smith said the following shortly before his death: "(W)hen I get my kingdom, I shall present it to my father, so that he may obtain kingdom among kingdom, and it will exalt him in glory. He will then take a higher exaltation, and I will take his place, and thereby become exalted myself.”

Geez, no wonder Mo's dig MLM schemes.

Posted by: zelphster ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 09:56AM

I am sorry but most of his apologies are actually very Christian ideas. Polygamy, events contradicted by science, ignorance, judgmental attitudes .... it's all right there in his very own bible.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 02:31PM

I hear ya. He's claiming Superman is real, but Spider-Man is a fictional character.

I do like his writing style though...just hope he figures out his house is built on a sandy foundation too.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: June 13, 2013 10:31AM

Mr. Adams' comments are right on the mark. I just posted this to my FB page. Hopefully some TBM relative or friend will read it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.