Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:35PM

One of my FB friends just posted this comment on her page...

"Think of the power of our future missionary force if mothers considered their homes as a pre-missionary training center (MTC). Then the doctrines of the gospel taught in the MTC would be a review and not a revelation. That is influence; that is power." Julie B. Beck

I threw up a little reading, and typing that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:37PM

Julie Beck is an idiot.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:39PM

Possible relative of Glen.

Posted by: Anubis ( )

She has pre-MTC ejaculation.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )

Or the ovaries and testes as pre-pre-pre-MTC?

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )

It's called BRAINWASHING.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:40PM

http://i.imgur.com/B8PNi.jpg

The LD$ grandiose image of themselves is delusional.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 02:35AM

Not to mention that they lie about their numbers and are more reasonably around 4-5 million.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:43PM

Why in the hell would anyone want to raise their children like they live in the MTC?

I've read so many stories of kids that were traumatized by being there. It's all church all the time. That's not a good plan for raising a child.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:44PM

Indeed EWWWWWW!!

ETA: The MTC is not a place of revelation - it's a place of mental, physical and emotional torture as well as a place of illusions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 03:45PM by quebec.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:55PM

Confession: Back in my TBMish days I gave family home evening lessons out of preach my gospel.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 03:56PM

I personally want to slap her silly. Sithlord told me on a Wednesday that he didn't believe in the church any longer. The Sunday prior to that, we both spoke in one of the branches in our stake as part of his high council responsibilities. My choice of what to speak about? That damn talk by Julie B. Beck. I have read it a couple of times since then and I can spot all of the bullshit. Oooh, I so want to slap her.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:11PM

Trying to set up a MTC in a family household is plain stupid.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:18PM

There's no way I'd want my home to be like the MTC. When I was there the food they served gave everyone horrible gas! Do you really want a home where everyone farts 24/7? Not to mention the bullying and peer pressure, guilt, etc.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:27PM

What is the point of teaching the children 'doctrines of the gospel' while they are young? They will have changed by the time they reach 18. Little Flecks of History, you know?

Nobody learns anything new at the MTC regarding doctrine.

What she should concentrate on is telling mothers to turn their homes into Sales Technique Seminar camps instead. That is what the MTC (LTM back then) was for me.

That quote of hers has 'hitler youth' written all over it.

Posted by: daydream ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 06:30PM

My husband was traumatized by the communal showers at the MTC. It was a kinky departure from everything he'd been taught about modesty and morality. He used to wake up extra early to try to shower alone. No communal showers in my home, no thank you Sister Beck!

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 11:28PM

I've heard a few MTC shower stories....

Posted by: golumn ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:25AM

Communal showers?!? OMFSM! so glad I didn't go on a mission!

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 11:27PM

That is influence; That is power; That is INDOCTRINATION!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 11:39PM

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 11:39PM

So she's going to redecorate with straightline wall tiles, big world wall maps, and crappy bunkbeds? put up a 20ft fence around the property? Starchy cafeteria food? Does she want her kids to remember growing up in a nice home, or a souless institution? Okay, too many question marks, but you get my drift.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: January 24, 2013 11:56PM

Here's a wonderful indoctrination gift or craft idea for those "powerful" 'home is where the MTC is' mothers!

http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/upload/467811480012787277_iL3Q1DkU_c.jpg

(gag!)

Posted by: sithlord ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:36AM

Hence the reason we see higher depression rates and suicides amongst Mormons.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,773551

There is a reason for this correlation. It is sickening that you can't even see it in Plato's cave!

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 04:18AM

So this enlightened leader thinks sleep deprivation, social isolation, brainwashing, and spiritual abuse should start before weaning? It is bad enough at college age. Someone please rip out her unworthy womb.

Either she has no idea what the MTC is all about, or she has no idea what a family should be about. Which ever it is, it is obvious that she hasn't a clue and should not be putting forth her uninformed advice.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:44PM

I told this story not long ago, the most over-the-top Nazi TBM couple in our BYU married-student housing ward over 30 years ago were already running their household as Little MTC. They loved to tell how much their 3-year-old boy loved paying tithing, putting money in his mission/tithing jar and wearing his little suit and fake missionary tag to church. He could quote scripture, his favorite song was "Called to Serve," and he bore his testimoney every fast Sunday.

Sometime last year I was doing that clicking around on Facebook thing where you start following links of people you hadn't thought about in years. I was remembering names of people in our old Wyview Park ward who, like me, would be grandparents by now, and I wondered whatever happened to this couple. The father was in Law School and in the bishopric during our BYU days. I found the mother (who, back in the day, was still nursing her first while she was preggers with her third and wanted to teach a mini class in RS about the mucous method of birth control). Clicked on her profile and from what I could see from the part that was public (favorite quotes being scriptures, her "likes" were temples, the prophet, Mitt Romney, etc.), it was exactly what I would have expected. So I click on her friends list and see her oldest son--the former 3-year-old missionary wannabe. His cover page was of him with a very long beard and his tattooed girlfriend taken at the Reason Ralley (Atheist rally) in D.C. with him holding up a sign saying, "Look Mom, I'm an Atheist."

If this is the outcome of over-the-top missionary indoctrination from birth, I'd say it should be encouraged.

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: January 25, 2013 12:46PM

Because her quote irritated me I posted this...

Religion is simply a community of people who gather together on a regular basis to reassure each other that it is ok to continue believing in absurdities. Carl Sagan

I saw it here and decided it was appropriate! So far no comments but lots of likes, but I only have 2 TBM friends on FB. The one who posted the Julie Beck quote probably doesn't read my posts anyway but it made me feel good to post it =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.