Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 12:00AM

I feel like I've seen the financial stats and figures on this site for how it was figured out that the Church donates so little to humanitarian aid..... Anyone have it? I'm not seeing it on mormonthink. Thanks!

Here's what I found on mormonthink:
"The LDS church has donated some $1.1 billion towards humanitarian aid around the world between 1985 and 2011. During that time period the average membership of the LDS church was 10 million members (today it's 14 million). Doing some simple math quickly shows that on average during the past 25 years, Mormons have contributed $5 per member per year toward humanitarian causes. That seems embarrassingly low for a Christ-centered entity."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 03:35AM by dogeatdog.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 12:08AM

I can't find the information on their website anymore. I think they removed it because people were referring to it.

I found it. It's not as detailed as it used to be.

http://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/welfare/2011-welfare-services-fact-sheet.pdf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 12:17AM by Mnemonic.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 12:24AM

I have watched links break and info dissapear over and over in my searches the last year or so. if it is under the churches control and it gets linked by the opposition, the trolls on places like this see it and remove or change it, I have started to save copies of any damning evidence I find on a church controlled site, 'cause it could disappear in a blink

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 12:44AM

In 2004, in a conference talk, GBH made the statement: "Since 1982, the church has donated more than 750 million dollars in aid to outside humanitarian organizations." Not a financial stat per se, but if you do the math, it works out to $.25 per person per month.

Date: January 15, 2013 03:18AM

Thanks. I know I saw it broken down and figured out in such a way as to show Church estimated income based on their mandatory reportings in other countries, tithing contributions, etc. I thought I had saved it, but I guess not! I'll keep searching.
I found one link to have some useful info.: http://exmormon.org/d6/drupal/Mormon-Church-and-Humanitarian-Aid
Humanitarian assistance rendered (1985-2009)
Cash Donations $327.6 million
Value of Material Assistance $884.6 million

The value of material assistance is a wild guess from materials donated by members and not directly out of the church's pocket. We will assume that it actually came from the church directly for simplicity.

Let's look at the numbers.

Total number of years: 25 years
Total amount of aid: $1,212.2 million (cash 327.6 + materials 884.6)

Amount of aid per year: ($1,212.2 / 25 yr) = $48.5 million per year

Let's assume an average of 12 million members of the church over that 25 year time span.

($80.8 / 12) = $6.73 per member given in charitable aid per year!!!

Just so that this is clear - The Mormon church only gives out $6.73 in charitable aid per member per year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2013 03:27AM by dogeatdog.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 09:07AM

I have access to the financial reports of the Church for the UK.

For the year 2011 total income (donations and profits from investments and trading) was £46,207,000

Humanitarian aid expenditure £2,533,000
(Missionary support expenditure £6,347,000)
(£12,350,000 was spent on 'Staff Costs')

Membership = around 190,000

Date: January 15, 2013 11:43AM

Thank you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.