Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 06:29PM

My, aren't we being touchy today! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 06:30PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 06:46PM

:)...wish i could stick around...gotta go to urgent care...got smashed from behind.!
:)

Date: June 01, 2012 06:57PM

Date: June 01, 2012 08:15PM

aw c'mon Steve...no smiley Face???

x-rays clear.
pills given and taken...
I am glad you were worried! :)

Date: June 01, 2012 08:18PM

Date: June 01, 2012 08:38PM

and i was in and out! :)

I knew you cared! :)

Date: June 01, 2012 08:39PM

Date: June 01, 2012 08:46PM

K i was waiting for that...now i can have a good nights sleep!!
:) :) ;)

Date: June 01, 2012 08:47PM

Posted by: Horsefeathers ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 07:02PM

While you're here, would you mind clearing up the alias question for Tim?

If I was misinformed about you ghosting, I don't mind correcting it. :)

Date: June 01, 2012 10:25PM

Tim,
If you're here, I tried.
Benson doesn't appear to want to address whether he ever used an alias on this forum.

Absent that, you're stuck with my commentary in the closed thread.

Posted by: anonforthemoment ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:36PM

Cabbie in another thread:

"I've known Horsie for a few years now (he posted here before under his real name, and et in Utah "lined us up")"

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 09:50AM

If Steve uses an alias on here sometimes, I could really care less. In fact, I would be understanding. Steve uses his own name, and is kind of public. If he ever wanted to address something really personal that he wanted to do anonymously, he would need an alias to do so.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 07:22PM

As I suspected, you're full of horsefeathers.

Timothy

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 07:14PM

I agree 100% with Steve when it comes to kicking around everything Mormonic.

But when he goes after people who retain a belief in God, that's where we part ways.

I can prove JS was not a prophet. I cannot prove that everything in the Bible never happened and should be tossed in the garbage.

Simply put, the Bible provides/has provided millions of people with a great deal of encouragement and strength to deal with extraordinarily difficult circumstances.

Oh, and I think his annual crusades against Christmas are just mean-spirited. I mean, who doesn't like Christmas??

I would only ask that he not attack people who have beliefs different than his own. No one has been able to prove or disprove there is a God.

Date: June 01, 2012 07:19PM

I would advise you to consult Admin's board rules, publicly posted on this matter:

"Mormonism is a form of Christianity and religion so, for some people, recovery from Mormonism will also include leaving Christianity or religion altogether. This does not mean that Christians or the discussion of Christianity are discouraged here. Far from it! This site is Christian-friendly. It is not, however, Christian-safe. Do not assume that everyone here will share your beliefs; other posters can and will disagree with and challenge what you say. If you decide that you need a site that is Christian-safe as well, we can recommend some places."

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,45
_____

Your arguments deserve some good ol' Xtian/Mormon paralleled scrutiny.

You write:

"I can prove JS was not a prophet. I cannot prove that everything in the Bible never happened and should be tossed in the garbage."

Response:

There are those who are of the view that they can prove Jesus was not a prophet--or if he was a prophet (assuming he even existed at all), was a false prophet. Moreover, there are Mormons who cannot prove that everything in the Book of Mormon "never happened and should be tossed in the garbage."

You write:

"Simply put, the Bible provides/has provided millions of people with a great deal of encouragement and strength to deal with extraordinarily difficult circumstances."

Response:

"Simply put," the Book of Mormon "provides/has provided millions of people with a great deal of encouragement and strength to deal with extraordinarily difficult circumstances."
_____

Bottom line:

The same avenue that gets a person to believe in Mormonism is the one which is similar in many respects when used to arrive at acceptance of Xtianity (i.e., tales of divine revelation, miracles, prayer, divine intercession/intervention, faith, life after death, prophets, sacred heavenly-sent texts, eternal judgment/reward, god-ordered genocide against unbelievers and other extra-terrestrial notions concerning alleged reality).

Hence, the two are definitely related. Recovery from Mormonism often involves recovery from Xtianity.

And, therefore, your sacred cow is given no quarter. :)

Edited 24 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 09:42PM by steve benson.

Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 08:03PM

Now my hopes are diminished that I'll find some resources on RfM where I will be able to go in order to make sure the Six Days Creation Theory, Global Flood Theory, the Lord's detailed laws on love/mercy in the Book of Deuteronomy, the admiration for the great prophet Elisha sending a she-bear to kill 42 kids, and all the tales of the Lord Jehovah's love and concern for all races, kindreds and tongues who were in the promised land during Moses's day won't face criticism. See http://bible.cc/deuteronomy/20-17.htm if you have any doubts about how much the Lord cared about his children he sent to be born to the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.

Date: June 02, 2012 12:14PM

Steve, you have labeled believers as suffering from mental illness.

I think that crosses the line beyond "challenging beliefs".

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 07:28PM

I think that imaginary friends doesn't have to equate to mental illness, although I had one as a kid and I consider myself sick. I don't think that Benson has ever said that every believer is also mentally ill, I think he says that belief in imaginary friends is a sign of mental illness.

Date: June 04, 2012 06:28AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,519640,519640#msg-519640

And I see that you didn't register any objection to "berating" Mormonism. All you seem to be interested in is seeing to it that Mormmon-related notions found in other theistic systems not be "berated."

How's that "sacred cow" defense working for ya?

Not very well, I take it, given how much yer bellerin'.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 07:16AM by steve benson.

Date: June 01, 2012 08:20PM

No one has been able to prove or disprove there is a God.

at least to any degree or consensus.

But i lean on the disprove side...
I kinda believe in Raptor Jesus though!
just sayun!

Date: June 01, 2012 08:23PM

redacted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 08:24PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 07:25PM

Thank you so much to whomever decided to kick Steve Benson around. It was a whale of a lot of fun watching him kick back.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,518331,518696#msg-518696

Of course, he also claims to fond of goring, but I think that's just a feint before the kick.

Date: June 01, 2012 07:26PM

Date: June 01, 2012 08:23PM

"It was right before Christmas and I would wish the people in the restaurants and stores a Merry Christmas and they would get angry and say we say Happy Holidays around here."

why cant these same people just say what they want to say...Happy Holidays as a reply...instead of telling YOU what to say? That smakcs of the same religiou controlling attitude to me.
Just sayun.

Date: June 04, 2012 05:50AM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 07:34PM

I was down in the San Fransisco Bay area because my brother had passed away and someone needed to go down there and take care of his affairs. It was right before Christmas and I would wish the people in the restaurants and stores a Merry Christmas and they would get angry and say we say Happy Holidays around here. There were hardly any Christmas decorations.

The hotel in San Jose I was staying at served a complimentary breakfast and dinner. The food was excellent. The Mexican cook was coming out with these wonderful tamales and said they were special Christmas tamales and wished me a Merry Christmas! After a day of cleaning out my brother's apartment it made me feel good. Everyone else seemed so bitter and negative about the holidays almost like they were too smart or above enjoying them.

The problem I see is the people who don't like organized religion; especially, Christianity want to force the rest of us to see the world as they do. If we don't see the world exactly in the same light as they do they throw a royal tizzy fit. In fact, they have become just as bad as the religious organization they hate. I'm tired of it.

All I ask is my right to have my own opinion is respected. You don't have to agree with it but I'm so tired of people getting angry because I don't jump on board with their cause 100%. Some of the people who claim they are so enlightened and diverse are everything but that. They seem so angry.

Posted by: staind ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:42PM

In the words of Jim rome........Rack him! You nailed it rubicon. Well said. A little live and let live from both camps would hit the spot.

Date: June 01, 2012 10:55PM

This is a free society. Believe what you want. RfM posters aren't going to make, compel or force you to do otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 10:56PM by steve benson.

Date: June 02, 2012 12:08PM

But that doesn't stop you from berating people who have beliefs different from your own.

I think it's a character flaw that you have a incessant need to feel you are right at all times and that it is ok to attack those who disagree with you (even though you can't prove them wrong).

Why is that, are you insecure or just arrogant? You come across as a bully and I know some people have left RfM because you are allowed to get away with it. It's disrespectful and I see no value in it.

Date: June 02, 2012 12:49PM

As I said elsewhere- overkill.

Nothing wrong with holding an opinion, the "wrong" comes in so incessantly & relentlessly trying to force it on others.
Benson exhibits exactly the same persistent missionary zeal that so annoys exes & nons, only in reverse.

And with that, done with this one.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 07:25PM

... Benson doesn't hide behind an alias.

Timothy

Date: June 04, 2012 04:22AM

So, where's that "force" of mine, as you call it?

Have I somehow "forced" you to come to my point of view?

Or better yet, how have I tried to "force" you? What kind of "force" am I trying to use against you in order to deny you your free will?

Or even better, how exactly could I "force" others to agree with me?

Please let me know because it sure as hell ain't working.

(It appears that you're caving. On the one hand, you accused me of "forcing" my views on others--when, in reality, they can actually keep my opinions "unforced" on them by not clicking on my posts. Now, you've resorted to complaining that I "overkill" with my viewpoints. Just how am I "overkilling" you with my "unforced" and "unenforceable" opinions? Do I have some kind of demonic control over your clicker finger?)

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 06:03AM by steve benson.

Date: June 04, 2012 06:11AM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 06:14AM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.