Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 02:40PM

Did anyone watch Dr.Phil on Wed last week when that very abusive mother was filmed showing her putting Tabasco in her sons mouth, and forcing him to take a cold shower? He was like 5 years old. I saw alot of this type behavior in the morg/Utah. Did you notice the mormon picture/version of Jesus on her hallway wall?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 02:42PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,38760

The thread scrolled off!

She has a blog up too. She's the primary pres up there in Alaska.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 02:43PM by vhainya.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 01:07AM

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 02:06AM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 03:51PM

I have family living there, and there are some VERY strange people there, even compared to Utah. When asking my one Alaskan aunt if the 10-to-1 male-to-female ratio of the state worked to her advantage she replied, "Well, the odds are good, but the goods are odd."

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 03:56PM

helamonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Well, the odds are good, but the goods are odd."

That's a good one! Thanks for the laugh!

Posted by: ExMorgbot ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 02:17AM

What is her blog address? I can't find the original post containing it.

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 04:34AM

ExMorgbot Wrote:
> What is her blog address? I can't find the
> original post containing it.

http://thebeagleybunch.blogspot.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 02:06PM

Looks like there is space available for comments on her website....I just told her that she is probably creating the next infamous serial killer...Just give the kid to someone who wants him...It is obvious she doesnt!

Date: November 23, 2010 03:56AM

http://drphil.com/videos/?Url=/house/flv/9039_1.flv&background=header_drphil_video.jpg

here's the static link if you want to save it:
http://drphil.com/house/flv/9039_1.flv

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 04:03AM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: Rosyjenn ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:52AM

That was awful to watch. That disturbed me beyond belief. Wow. Sick.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 08:49AM

Two Mormon women in the UK were jailed for this abusive behaviour.

Date: November 24, 2010 03:38AM

matt Wrote:
> Two Mormon women in the UK were jailed for this
> abusive behaviour.

do you have a news link or more info?

Date: November 24, 2010 05:13PM

Nick Humphrey Wrote:
> matt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Two Mormon women in the UK were jailed for this
> > abusive behaviour.
>
> do you have a news link or more info?

Here's the links
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article1668289.ece
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-452267/Mormons-facing-jail-force-feeding-children-chillies.html

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23393039-mormons-hit-children-with-rolling-pins.do

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/jun/05/childrensservices.crime
How many more of them are there?

Date: November 24, 2010 05:25PM

The case in England had no excuses. Is there a sub-culture of forcing children to eat chillies in Mormonism?

It makes one think...

This was in reply to Bona Dea's post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2010 05:27PM by matt.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 09:42AM

Or is she just enjoying her new-found fame?

Date: November 23, 2010 09:47AM

I showed that video to my husband last night. It really upset him.

Date: November 24, 2010 03:37AM

knotheadusc Wrote:
> I showed that video to my husband last night. It
> really upset him.

i showed it to my brother and he said he had to turn it off it made him so angry

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 10:12AM

An earlier commenter was wondering why Mrs. Beagley wrote in to be on Dr. Phil's program when she was documenting such painful and humiliating "discipline" actions on the kids.

I think the answer is that she thought that appearing on the show was a "missionary effort" that would demonstrate how Mormons are big family people, and when the kids misbehave, how calmly she "corrects" their behavior.

I bet the first Presidency and GA's are blissfully unaware that their millions spent on PR do not even begin to balance out one episode of an authentic Crazy Mormon Housewife.

I bet Mrs. Beagley was genuinely shocked that people did not admire her bringing adoptive children into her home and notice how she bravely suffered their disobedience and ungratitude.

P.S. Alaska has some of the highest rates of domestic and child abuse in the nation. In her own circle, she is probably considered a conscientious mother. In the video clips she shows, she is not drunk and beating the children = good mom.

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 03:20PM

I believed this once, years ago.. Wrote:
>
> I bet the first Presidency and GA's are blissfully
> unaware that their millions spent on PR do not
> even begin to balance out one episode of an
> authentic Crazy Mormon Housewife.

I love that "Crazy Mormon Housewife" title. Maybe that could be the impetus for a brand new reality show to take the place of "Sister Wives". ;0)

Date: November 23, 2010 02:24PM

I looked at her blog. She has an entry for the twin boys' birthday. Apparently, Kristoff made some "bad choices" and didn't get to open his presents with his brother. She really comes off as mean in that post, even as she congratulates the boys on turning 7. I feel so sorry for that kid.

Posted by: Truth ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 03:05PM

Hi, I'm Mrs. Beagley. I was recently on Dr. Phil for torturing my 7 year old child and I'm a mormon.

I like to see this lady's profile on mormon.org.

Date: November 24, 2010 03:35AM

here's the dr phil article from his site, courtesy of my wife's research =):
http://drphil.com/slideshows/slideshow/6062/?id=6062&slide=0&showID=1545&preview=&versionID=

Date: November 24, 2010 12:00PM

I let that bitch have it on the first post of her blog. I hope she opens her eyes.

Posted by: Camara ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 12:56PM

Wow. I only saw the previews--once--and refused to watch the episode. There was no way I could see a child being treated like that. Interestingly, though, I thought that the woman's excuse would be that she was a single mother, under huge financial strain, a former abused child/wife/foster kid herself and was acting out what she'd experienced. Finding out the truth has blown my mind...

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 03:48PM

So, on the show, did they ever refer to her being mormon? I only caught the last twenty minutes of it

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 03:54PM

I do not want to start a firestorm and I am NOT defending this woman's discipline, but IF this child does have RAD, she is probably overwhelmed and in real need of help. You might want to go back and read some of Shannon's post about dealing with her RAD daughter. Just saying that this woman may have some unbelievable problems with this child that have led to this. Again, her discipline techniques are completely wrong and are contributing to the problems she is having. I'd lie too if I had her for a mother, but who knows what led to this.

Posted by: Rodolfo ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 05:49PM

I understand those that are concerned that this woman is over her head and that we should offer some compassion.

We should . . . . except that is NOT what we have here IMO.

I saw the horrific segment and read what earlier posters have surmised and here is what I think are reasonable assumptions:

1. This sick woman did not come to the show seeking "help" or other counseling about RAD or parenting. I can't imagine in my wildest dreams a TBM Primary President writing in to Dr. Phil admitting a coping problem in public and then sending in ANY VIDEO clip that would be in any way embarrassing. Clearly she THOUGHT that the video she sent in was complimentary to her parenting, NOT that it was controversial, and certainly she did not think that she would potentially be providing criminal evidence to the Alaska Family Services Division. The very fact that she sent this video in unprompted speaks to the vastness of her ignorance. (Not to mention that she also now has a videographer daughter that cannot tell when criminal child abuse is being perpetrated)

2. As others have said, you can watch her reactions as people are crying and horrified at the depictions. She is obviously clueless and stunned that she is getting the reactions she is seeing. In the beginning she says things to Dr. Phil like "you are entitled to your opinion," but soon she realizes that the entire room thinks she should be locked up, so she goes into a passive role -- looking for "better solutions" and wants to turn the conversation to an academic discussion of dealing with RAD, and away from the fact that HER BEHAVIOR was so far off the mark and she was OBLIVIOUS. This is what Dr. Phil keeps returning to: how can a person NOT SEE that this behavior is cruel and abusive -- whether perpetrated on a RAD kid or any other.

3. Dr. Phil is talking to her and giving her the third degree and he is sensing that she is a poser on the show. By the end of the segment Dr. Phil is verbally doubting whether Beagley is even getting how outrageous and shocking her behavior is (clearly she doesn't).

4. Beagley's "parenting" in this context cannot possibly be
confined to only her so-called RAD kid. The depth and extent of her ignorance and naivete HAS to be completely cultural and foundational to this woman -- most likely learned from her own parenting. Also, since the husband has apparently been consulted on moving from soap to hot sauce in the disciplinary regime, he condemns his own judgment and parenting as well. Looking at Beagley's BLOG one can see that this family has pride in their mormon-ness as an "eternal family", etc, etc. It would not be presumptous to assume that they (as all TBMs constantly do) have determined that their conduct conforms with the gospel and with the ideals of mormonism -- after all, "obedience is the first law of heaven".

Dr. Phil should want to do a show on how people in cults can become so divorced from reality that they can engage on child abuse and not know it -- THATS THE REAL STORY HERE!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:13PM

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 10:19PM

Thanks for the analysis, Rodolfo. I think your observations are right on the money.

I visited her blog briefly (before she made signing with your email address a requirement) and it was all "happy, shiney" pictures of her adorable family, with NO entries that I could see where she frankly admitted she was struggling or had an occasional bad day. It was all rainbows and unicorns in her world...

Date: November 24, 2010 10:26PM

I am in no way defending her, but just saying RAD kids are almost impossible to deal with and she may have taken on more than she could handle. That hardly justifies her discipine methods, but she is obviously very frustrated.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 11:53PM

I noticed that she had the hot sauce on a shelf in her BATHROOM - she must use this form of torture so much that she keeps the bottle there, only for this purpose.

They obviously hate this child, and he needs to be permanently removed from this family, and the parents should be arrested and charged with physical and mental child abuse. How can she not see how utterly terrified he is, and she appears to delight in the pain she's inflicting on him.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 12:06AM

is really bothering me. pyramid style? Really??

Date: November 25, 2010 12:08AM

I don't care if her child has RAD or not. I have had a couple of foster children with the same situation. Yes, they are exceptionally difficult and at times scary. Does that give anyone the right to abuse them? NO!

She admitted on the show that she never really wanted that boy in the first place. She isn't abusing him because she is just ignorant and overwhelmed by his disorder. She obviously feels some animosity towards that boy for his mere existence in her family.

She also cannot claim ignorance. Every person I know who adopts or does foster care does countless hours of research about the struggles and issues that are common in adoption/fostering. There is no way she could not have known that she might deal with this having adopted children.

I mean at this point, how is living with them any better for the boy than being in the system? The parents don't love him, they abuse him...Why not give this boy a chance to meet some parents who are better equipped to handle his disorder.

On one last note....she mentioned that his RAD is exhibited in her home by his lying and stealing food......That's it????

Man, if those were the worst stunts my RAD kids were pulling I would be jumping for joy.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 12:22AM

ExMorgbot Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> On one last note....she mentioned that his RAD is
> exhibited in her home by his lying and stealing
> food......That's it????
>
> Man, if those were the worst stunts my RAD kids
> were pulling I would be jumping for joy.

Ditto.
;o)

Date: November 25, 2010 12:25AM

shannon Wrote:
> ExMorgbot Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> ----
> > On one last note....she mentioned that his RAD
> is
> > exhibited in her home by his lying and stealing
> > food......That's it????
> >
> > Man, if those were the worst stunts my RAD kids
> > were pulling I would be jumping for joy.
>
> Ditto.

> ;o)Kids who have gone hungry often steal food and the harsh discipline is probably a big cause of the lying. If someone was going to make me put hotsauce in my mouth, I' lie too.

Date: November 25, 2010 12:15AM

Excuse me, but you are putting words in my mouth. There is no way her behavior is excused and I don't know if the kid has RAD or not, but if he does, she must be overwhelmed and frustrated. That doesn't make her behavior right and I agree that she may not have wanted the kid in the first place. I feel much sorrier for the boy, but if she is dealing with RAD, allow me to have a small bit of sympathy for her.She either needs to get her act together now or give the boy up. She also needs to be investigated to see if the other kids are being abused.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 12:27AM

Of course, there is an "attachment disorder" with this child. How could ANYONE develop an attachment to a woman who tortures you? This child needs unconditional love and affection - just as one gives to one's own biological child (who is troubled or not). This child neeeds a new home.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.