Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 02:35PM

I can't put a finger on it, can't exactly tell you why but I never did like the guy. He just gives me the creeps. My ex FIL said the same thing to me one time, told him I felt the same thing.

Anyone else feel this way? What is it about the guy that made my hair stand on end? I mean there are others Hinkley, etc. that I knew were full of S*** but they didn't have this effect on me. What is it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 02:37PM

YES! I think it's his eyes dude. Or the combination of eyes, wrinkles, creepy voice. I have never liked him, even when he was a lowly apostle.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 02:44PM

At least in the public persona he projects. It's like he's very distant emotionally, even while trying to be your best friend--trying to be popular ... or something ?!?!?! Oh, and a lot of the time he sounds very condescending.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 02:49PM

It's the dyed hair. I just do not understand old men who dye their hair.

My boyfriend is always saying to me, "When you see me next, I'm going to look like Arnold Schwarzenager (spelling? and MEANING he will be back in really good shape)" and I remind him that I don't want him looking LIKE THAT (don't like Arnold's looks anyway--but the dye job!!)

Date: November 11, 2010 02:50PM

Doesn't he look kind of like an anamatronic Madame Tussauds exhibit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 02:52PM by ctus.

Date: November 11, 2010 04:39PM

Maybe just the whole package, but really just a feeling whenever I see or hear him.....

Posted by: Anonymous ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 05:37PM

That's funny, ctus! You are so right. My son has pics on his Facebook account that he took of Monson when he dedicated one of the latest temples. Son is so funny, he puts captions on everyone of the pics. One of them, Monson is doing the "Robot", another he is pointing to the guy who "fell aleep" during his talk. As to the comments, one friend asked if son saw his father there, son says "Yes, he's the one Monson was pointing to"!

Posted by: boggswuzrite ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 02:56PM

i've had the same feeling, i think it is our souls telling us monson is satans emissary on earth

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 03:00PM

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 03:14PM

When I was TBM, he just bored the jesus smith out of me with his sugary, fake humility of life-long service. But as I started questioning (about when Hinky said he didn't know if we teach eternal life and god-making), Monson and Packer started creeping me out. One for being so authoritarian, the other for seeming deceitful. But Hinky just plain troubled me on many accounts--lying, conniving...

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 03:20PM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:54AM

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 03:21PM

During my YSA days I always loved TSM's talks at gen conference because it meant that it was nap time. I don't think I ever heard an entire talk by him. He never creeped me out but I must confess, I have no idea what he looks like today.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 03:32PM

I think its his eyes. They look sinister or something. They don't fit with the smile that's always on his face.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 03:40PM

I've always thought he would make a good character on the Munson or Aadams family shows.

His looks coupled with his silly childish stories (Billy had no shoes but sold his left thumb to help his mommy pay tithing) make him even weirder IMO.

Not to wish ill on him but darn, if he checks out it would be supreme entertainment here to have Packman as Profit.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 04:51PM

He was talking about the "special" members in Samoa and said when a man is converted to the Gospel they know the right things to do. Then he droned on how "wonderful" it was to see the Samoan men with the Priesthood wearing shirts and ties and jackets........ with their grass skits.

What the ____?

Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 04:03PM

I cant say he creeped me out, but I can't understand why his voice always sounds droning when he gives public talks. It is like he is trying to hypnotize or put everyone to sleep.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 04:07PM

From Jaws:

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:19AM

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 04:22PM

Yes! I was browsing something earlier today and saw a picture of him which just made me shudder involuntarily. It's definitely the eyes.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 07:30PM

I didn't like what he said, most of the time, as a TBM, but he seemed like a grandpa like fellow.

Monson seems like the creepy uncle that you don't like to be alone with...

Posted by: exmormon_fyi ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:06PM

Could it have something to do with the following quote from Dr. A. True Ott's book, 'Free at Last', which is about his exit from Mormonism.

---

When you understand that Joseph “the Kenite” Smith's “marvelous work and a wonder” was ALL ABOUT EMPOWERING THE BLOODLINES, one can also understand the Mormon Church's pre-occuptation with the study of genes, or geneology. One also needs to understand that the black magic, Kenite bloodlines were given specific surnames to more readily identify their lineage and avocation. For instance, if one bloodline FULLY participated in the Satanic WICCA rituals as loyal High Priests for generations, they were identified with the Surname - “Son of the Moon Goddess” or MoonSon (Monson) for short.

---

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:41PM

He's always so obsequious in his talks, with his fake condescension and his tucking in his chin and bugging his eyes in fake surprise. Yep, creepy.

Posted by: ivy-nevermo ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:42PM

He's just a creepy lookin' dude. Definitely wouldn't want him holding my hand or preaching to me in any way shape of form.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:45PM

Posted by: augiedogie ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 08:51PM

I always wondered about a young bishop who spent all his time with the old widows.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:31PM

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 08:46AM

Don't you think it was more likely that those widows became widows as a result of WWII, then being old and feeble?

It seems that Monson attended a lot of widow funerals through the 1980's, if so, those widows were probably only about five or ten years older than their 26 year old bishop.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:12AM

Its the movements, the eyes and the VOICE, lol.

He sounds like he is trying way too hard to make his voice sound soothing and non-threatening. But in all the effort, it just givesme the creeps.

I'm kinda like, "Why does he have to work that hard to NOT sound creepy?" lol

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:03AM

It's because he looks like Eddie Munster.

Ron

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:21AM

Could the title of his new book 'to the rescue' be a tad self serving?

Does anyone know if the books contents are a collection of 'look at how brilliant I am' anecdotes?

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:48AM

Didn't even realize what a bigot BKP was until I came here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.