Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 04:33PM

In an earlier thread, RfM poster "Inquirey," raises the following questions:

"I always here stories of the Sword of Laban and other mystical stuff being in the Church Vault in the mountains. I've also heard of a special First Presidency Vault as well. Has anyone actually been in the there or heard of a legitimate story of someone being in there? What other stories have you heard? I'm sure there really is a First Presidency Vault but whats really in it?"

("First Presidency Vault: Real or Fake?," posted by "Inquirey," on "Recovery from Mormonism" discussion board, 10 November 2014, at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1426859)
_____

Several years ago, I had the chance--at a downtown-area Salt Lake City restaurant--to meet over lunch with a former employee of the LDS Church. At this meeting were two other RfM posters--“SL Cabbie” and an RfM participant who requested anonymity but whose credibility is strong and for whom I can personally vouch.

The former Mormon Church employee with whom we met frequented the RfM board for a time under the handle, “FCI,” or “Former Church Insider." "FCI” had initially contacted me off-board about his personal knowledge and experience regarding high-level matters associated with the management of LDS, Inc As a result, for a time I provided him an informational outlet to RfM, where I would post, with his review and permission, what he had shared with me privately. Eventually, "FCI" began putting up his own RfM posts.

I found "FCI's" perspectives, generally speaking, to be believable and perceptive (in the case of certain exceptions, “FCI” openly acknowledged his errors on RfM and self-corrected them; in another case, his posts were deleted because of legal concerns). Eventually, “FCI” ceased posting on the RfM because of what he described as personal family realties that he thought warranted caution and discretion.

With that as background, during the SLC Chili's lunch encounter, “FCI” spoke about the existence, layout and content of the so-called “First Presidency Vault” in some detail, during w which he even drew up a schematic view for us of its physical parameters.
_____

--The Physical Layout of the “First Presidency Vault” (also known as the "President's Vault”; the "Church Vault"; the “F Vault”; and the "Vault”)

According to “FCI,": this "First Presidency Vault" is configured as follows:

“The President's Vault, otherwise known as ‘F’ Vaullt is [part of a vault compliex]. The front of the vault complex is manned-and-womened by employees and missionaries who duplicate genealogical microfilms to fulfill orders from church Fam. History libraries all over the world. The six vaults are connected by a corridor protected by a many ton steel door that supposedly can withstand a nuclear blast and are located far into the mountain at the rear of the complex.

“Each of these six vaults is cavernous and contains microfilm, discs, and other data files for financial, membership, genealogical and other Church records. Until the Mark Hoffman episode, access to the vault was restricted to those with official Church business only (although at one time tours were conducted there for the public).

(posted by “Former Church Insider } [aka “FCI”], on “Recovery from Mormnism” discussion board, January 2006)

From “FCI" on the "First Presidency Vault's" contents:

“Mark Hofmann was given unfettered access to the remote ‘F’ vault that reminded me of the warehouse in ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ where the Ark of the Covenant was eventually placed. It is the only vault that contains artifacts, relics and original Church documents such as pioneer journals and anything related to early Church history. This is probably the most secure vault in the country, with the possible exception of the US gold reserves storage at Ft. Knox. There are rumors that the vault contains Joseph Smith's Jupiter talisman and seer stones among other items. You'd think the place would be organized and items would be stored logically, but at least at the time I saw it, everything seemed in disarray on dusty shelves and in piles. But it was evident that almost everything in there was "old".

“Mark [Hofmann] was given access to this vault and apparently had a co-conspirator who worked for him at the vault complex. It was discovered after Mark Hoffman was exposed, but never reported to anyone outside the inner circle of the inner circle of those who worked inside the Church around this issue, that the Church had actually paid a lot of money to Mark Hoffman for documents that it already owned, and that these documents had been taken out of the ‘F’ vault. This was too embarrassing for the Church to admit to anyone, but resulted in unbelievable restrictions to church history documents. The only access by anyone, even GA's to the ‘F” vault is now granted only by GBH [Gordon B. Hinckley].

(“Mormon Mafia, Inside Stories, Mark Hoffman, Steve Christensen,” posted by “FCI,” on “Recovery from Mormonism” discussion board, January 2006)

More from “FCI” on the "Church Vault's" configuration:

“The Granite Mountain Vault . . ., [or] ‘The Vault,’ as it is commonly known, is a massive excavation reaching 600 feet into the north side of the canyon. Under 700 feet of stone, the Vault proper is situated farther back in the mountain behind production section and consists of six (storage) chambers (each 190 feet long, 25 feet wide, and 25 feet high), which are accessed by one main entrance and two smaller passageways. Specially constructed Mosler doors weighing 14 tons (at the main entrance) and nine tons (guarding the two smaller entrances) are designed to withstand a nuclear blast. In the six chambers, nature maintains constant humidity and temperature readings optimum for microfilm storage. Each chamber contains banks of steel cabinets ten feet high. ( . . . [B]oth ‘A’ vault and ‘F’ vault contain open storage racks).

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/family_history/granite_mountain_eom.htm

“Here's a peek inside:

“Note before viewing:

“THIS IS A PR FILM BY THE MORG. THE FILM ONLY DISCUSSES GENEAOLGY BUT THERE'S A LOT MORE IN THERE. (March 11, 2006 ‘Church News’:’[T]aking photos in the vault area is no longer allowed.” . . . Public access is not allowed. Also, it takes a security clearance for anyone to get into the production areas. . . .The vaults are basically off limits to everyone except a few workers. . . . . ‘F’ vault is off limits to everyone period....

“Pause at 18-22 seconds into the video.this is a view of one of 6 storage areas in the back of the vault. Only 4 of these are devoted to genealogical records..

“Pause at 33-38 seconds into the video. This is a view of the 14-ton door and the corridor leading to the storage areas. There are three storage areas on each side of the hallway (none are visible). "A" vault is the first room on the left and contains financial, legal, real estate, membership, and other miscellaneous computer records having to do with ‘business.’ ‘B’ vault is the first room on the right as you enter the corridor..’C’ is the middle vault on the left and so on.. ‘B-E’ vaults contain microfilm and related genealogical documents. At the far end of the corridor is a room with a large reservoir (pool) of drinkable mountain spring water and an earthquake seismograph.

“Ignore the rest of the video.

"’F’ Vault is the storage area that is locked to everyone except the 1st “residency or whomever they alone allow inside. It is located in the rear of the corridor on the right hand side. It contains all artifacts related to the Morg. that are kept from the public. I have been in "F" vault twice - both times before the edict of BKP and the 1st presidency to limit all access. I did not have the chance to explore this vault and was only able to view it from close to the doorway. This storage area contains, lots of old original documents, artifacts, books, journals, boxes containing who knows what.. all of these situated on open elevated racks. Many rumors circulate about what is in this vault. Your guess is as good as mine in this regard. It was told to me confidentially by church historians, that Mark Hoffman was granted access to documents in this vault and he had a co-conspirator who was able to smuggle out some documents later purchased by the Church that they already owned. . . . This vault likely contains the documents previously accessed by Michael Quinn and Fawn Brodie, along with many that even they were not able to see.

“From the LDS website [since deleted]:

http://www.lds.org/media/videoclip/display/1,7031,1659-1-747,00.html . . . "

(“What's In The Vault? A Peek Inside ,” by “FCI,” on “Recovery from Mormonism” discussion board, May 2008, original emphasis)

--Other Descriptions and Accounts of the "Church Vault(s)" from Those Who Have Worked There

From one source:

“So, I was able to get a job at the Vault because my dad had worked for the Church for about 10 years at the COB [Church Office Building], so he was a good reference. I got the job after they made sure my recommend was current and I was trust worthy enough to allow in. I believe I had two interviews and I'm not sure what kind of background check the Church does, but I have been told that it is quite a process to be allowed to work for the Church. Still, I wasn't by any means perfect and neither were some of my co-workers. I think my dad's reputation as a hard worker helped me out most.

“My husband took me to work every day. When driving up the canyon just after the ski resorts, there is a hairpin turn on the left side to go up to the vault. I had never noticed it before working there. There is a gate that you have to go through to get up to the parking lot. At the gate, you push a button and they ask who you are and you tell them and they let you up. No exceptions. You have to wait for them to look at you in their security camera every day. They are not messing around up there. When they lifted the gate, we would drive to the parking lot and then I would get out and go in the big metal door that led to the desk where the security guard checked your badge every day. When my husband came to pick me up every day at the same time, he always had to push the button and tell him who he was and why he was there.

“Layout of the Vault: After you check in you go down the hall and to the left. I wish I could draw it up, maybe I'll work on that. After the corridor you can only go left into another long hallway. Along this there are little sections on either side that are work areas for people who are programming microfilm and microfiche. (Programming is what they call it, but this is what that entails: you hook a roll of film on a stand on the right side of your desk and then hook the end of the film to another roll on a stand on the other side of the desk that has a handle for you to roll it back up, but in reverse. You look through film by unrolling it under a microscope where you look at it every few frames to see if it is clear enough to read and reprint or not. If it is clear and clean you give it a number that tells the printer to print it as is. If it isn't clear, then you give it a number - or program it - and it tells the printer what setting to print it on in order for it to come out more clearly than the original. This is what I did there, and I was good at it!)

“So there is a large section to the right and then another to the left where people are working on film. After that there was another area with offices and a secretary on the left and on the right is a hallway and door that leads to the corridor that goes back into the actual Vaults A through F. Still walking down the main corridor then there is another work area on the right where the people who get film out of the filing cabinets in the A through D Vaults organize it and put it into batches according to where the copies are ordered from etc.

“At the end of the long main corridor on the left is a hallway that goes back to a small kitchen with vending machines and a phone (no cell phones in there as far as I remember) and behind the kitchen a large room with tables for eating and lots of chairs that are set up once during the monthly devotional and for holiday parties.

“I vaguely remember another corridor opposite the hallway leading to the kitchen. It seems like there may have been more vaults down this one, but I was never quite sure and if it was actually there it didn't seem like it was used much.

“So, work started every day with team prayer. You were on teams. When I worked there I remember two programming teams and another couple teams that did something else with the film that I don't remember. There were also a few people that ran the printers and so in all I think there were only about between 45 or 65 people that actually worked there. I hated and dreaded this team prayer every day. I don't really like praying about working well or fast and praying about it with coworkers doesn't help. (I guess I would have been kicked out if they knew I had that attitude!) They had it at about 8am even though we had to be at work at 7am. I also hated the early hours but I have never been a morning person.

“Anyway, there were a few interesting things that happened there. Nothing crazy but still, possibly worth sharing. They always had a devotional every month on the first Monday. A few times one of the 70 came and spoke and gave a lesson. It was interesting, but basically like getting paid for being in church.

“Once there was an incident when a friend of mine who was working there (she had not been through the temple and did not wear garments) was leaning over organizing film on a large table. Her shirt came up a little and her skin on her back became visible. She was later reprimanded because a coworker had told the boss that she wasn't being modest. She was very upset and quit not a month later. Obviously the scolding was ridiculous because she was not being immodest or disrespectful on purpose.

“Another time when I was assigned to a new workstation, I was talking to a man who worked there. He was a pretty big guy (as in overweight) and worked quite slowly. He told me a little about himself. He said that he had worked there almost 10 years if I remember correctly and that he had 6 or7 kids. (This surprised me that he was doing the same job I was doing because this job only paid about $8.50/hr.) I asked him if he was ok with his job here and he said he was. He said something like, it didn't necessarily pay much, but that he was sure he didn't need more because since he worked for the Lord as his job, his family would be taken care of. (I could not believe that someone could be so stupid.)

“There was an older lady who worked there and she was super sweet. She was funny and kind and helpful and interesting. She worked hard and did her job very well. She worked at the vault and for the church corp. for I think about 14 years she said. It could have been more. In any case, she was approaching retirement within a few months. She was excited and couldn't wait to be home with her family and grandkids. She was around 67 I think. (I could be totally off, but I'm pretty sure these details are close if not right on.) So around the time she was putting in her two weeks and arranging to finish up and get her retirement package, etc., things changed and suddenly she was in trouble all the time. She didn't know what was going on or why but one day told me she had figured it out. She told me they were trying to get her fired or to get her to quit before her time was done to keep from giving her retirement. She was super upset during her last few days there and became difficult to work with. (Who wouldn't be!)She told me she just wanted to get done and get out. She did go, but I never found out if she got what she had worked so hard for. She was just out of there on her last day and never looked back.

“When working on film, it is really quiet because its hard to talk and concentrate on what you're doing at the same time. I didn't really become close friends with anyone I worked with, so I listened to books on cd with a portable cd player. I listened to about 65 books during my one year of work there. At one point a coworker asked me what I was listening to. This guy was so righteous he made your eyes bleed to look at him. He was irritating in all the ways those type of people are while trying really hard to just be your best bud and make work a good old time! When he asked what I was listening to today I told him and then couldn't wait to hear what he had to say - "I'm listening to Silence of the Lambs", I said. He was shocked and had disapproval all over his face. He said something like, "That movie is rated R isn't it? I'm sure the book probably is." (So passive aggressive.) I said, "I'm sure it is." and kept working. He watched me for a few minutes and I said, "Do you want to borrow it after I'm done? It's a good book. Really creepy." He said no thanks and looked troubled. The next week during our Monday morning team devotional (where someone from the team was picked to read a scripture or give a short message) our team leader - who I really thought was a nice guy - mentioned begrudgingly that we needed to make sure we were listening to uplifting things while we worked. It seemed to me that he didn't really care what anyone listened to on their headphones as long as they did their jobs.

“So after working at the vault for about a year, I got another job. I was excited to be don, e, but also realized I hadn't seen a few things that I had wondered about. They told me when I first started that all the water used in the kitchen and bathrooms was provided by the natural reservoir that was in the back of the vault. I had never seen this and was really curious. I knew I would never have a chance to see it again so on my last day I asked if they would show me and if I could take a few pictures. They said I could as long as I didn't take any pictures of anything else inside the vault on the way to the reservoir door. I agreed and he led me down the long corridor where A through F Vaults are located. At the very end was the door that I knew led to the water. He unlocked it and when we went in it was sort of anticlimactic. I was expecting a huge lake or rushing waterfalls or something cool. After I got over the disappointment, it was pretty neat. It was a pool with pumps attached. The pool was probably about six feet wide by 10 to 15 feet long. It was clean and clear and looked nice but it was basically just functioning in an empty dark holed out area. That part of the vault did not have the corrigated metal walls. It was rough granite through there and that was cool too.

“The only other really interesting thing that happened was during the summer that I worked there. A company that was contracted with the Church to do some construction in the some of the vaults sent a group of their guys out for about a month or so. I made friends with one of the guys and we chatted during lunch and made small talk when he was hanging around on his breaks. One day during this construction, our team leader told us that for the next couple days we would be taking turns throughout the day to sit outside thedoor of the F Vault while the contracted construction guys worked in there. We were told that we needed to just sit out there and could read or listen to our headphones, as long as we made sure no one took anything out of the vault that wasn't their own tools. We agreed and were happy to have a break from programming film.

“When it was my turn, I sat on the designated chair and listened to my book and just smiled at the guys as they went in and out. At one point, I realized, this is the vault that has lots of really important stuff in it and tried to peek in. Unfortunately, because of all the construction, every shelf was covered in plastic sheeting and the only thing I saw was a small stack of books (pages side toward me) on a shelf near the door so I couldn't even identify them. I didn't understand at the time that this was THE F VAULT!!! I should have been rummaging through there to find the Hoffman documents or a papyrus or something! Total bummer. When it was over, I went back to my desk and didn't think a thing of it other than, maybe they saw the sword of Laban when they were covering things up. Haha!

“So, that is about it. Other than those little tidbits, the only other possibly noteworthy things about working there were: it was hard to get a raise and they had a ceiling that I reached during the one year I workedthere. That was a deal breaker (as Liz Lemon would say) for long term employment but they weren't budging as far as raises went.”

(“Working At The Mormon Church Granite Mountain Records Vault,” by “Molotov,” October 2009)
_____

--Additional Reports on the Contents of the “Top-Secret Church Vault”

One source notes:

“ . . . [A] poster named ‘erichard’ has posted [on another site] a list of stuff which is supposedly held in the top-secret Church Vault, which is dug into the side of a mountain in Little Cottonwood Canyon, just outside Salt Lake City. (It is visible from the road, in fact.) I thought this was quite intriguing:

“Incomplete List of Items in the First Presidency Vaults

--“Printed Works:

An Address by Way of an Abridged Account and Journal of My Life,' Lyman Wight

An Address to Americans,' James Mulholland

Almanacs (1859, 1860, 1861, 1863, 1864), William W. Phelps

The Amateur, Ogden, Utah, YMMIA

An Appeal to the American People, Sidney Rigdon

Articles of Association for the United Order (1870 & 1874)

Book of Mormon (Various Editions, including 1830)

Book of One Thousand Marks and Brands, William Clayton

Book of the Law of the Lord, James J. Strang

The California Star

Calumny Refuted and the Truth Defended, John Taylor

Celestial Marriage, and the Plurality of Wives, Jesse Haven

Central Route, The Emigrant's Guide, Thomas B. H. Stenhouse

Circular to Bishop Edward Hunter, First Presidency
The City Charter of Nauvoo, Illinois

The City of the Mormons, Henry Caswall

A Collection of Sacred Hymns (1835, 1844, etc.)

A Concise History of the Mormon Battalion, Daniel Tyler

Constitution of the State of Deseret

A Correct Account of the Murder of Generals Joseph and Hyrum Smith, William M.Daniels

Death of the Prophets Joseph and Hyrum Smith, John Gooch

Delusions..., Alexander Campbell

Deseret Almanac (1851, 1852, 1853, 1854, etc.,), William W. Phelps

A Dialogue between Joe Smith and the Devil, Parley P. Pratt

The Diamond, James J. Strang

A Dissertation on Nebuchadnezzar's Dream, William I. Appleby

Doctrine and Covenants (1835, etc.)

Book of Commandments

Document Containing the Correspondence, Orders, &c. in Relation to the Disturbances with the Mormons

Document Showing the Testimony Given Before the Judge of the Fifth Judicial Circuit

Elder's Journal

The Evening and Morning Star

Evidence Taken on the Trial of Mr. Smith

Evidences in Proof of the Book of Mormon, Charles B. Thompson

The Far West: Or, A Tour Beyond the Mountains, Edmund Flagg
Y Farw Wedi Ei Chyfodi Yn Fyw, Dan Jones

A Few Plain Facts, George J. Adams

Frontier Guardian

General Courses and Distance from G.S.L. City to Fort Limhi, Jesse W. Fox

1847 General Epistle from the Council of the Twelve Apostles

General Joseph Smith's Appeal to the Green Mountain Boys

General Smith's Views of the Powers and Policy of the Government of the United States

The Gospel Reflector

Governor's Message - Brigham Young (1850, 1851, etc.)

A Grammar of the Hebrew Language, Moses Stuart

He That Hath Ears to Hear, Orson Hyde

History of the Late Persecution Inflicted by the State of Missouri upon the Mormons, Parley P. Pratt

History of the Persecutions, Charles W. Wandell

A History of the Priesthood, Benjamin Winchester

An Interesting Account of Several Remarkable Visions, Orson Pratt

James J. Strang, Weighed in the Balance, Reuben Miller

Journal of Discourses

Heber C. Kimball Journal

Late Persecution of the Church, Parley P. Pratt

Edinburgh Branch

The Latter Day Saints, A Poem, Omer

The Latter-day Saints' Emigrants' Guide, William Clayton

Latter Day Saints' Messenger and Advocate

A Lecture on the Authenticity & Scriptural Character of the Book of Mormon, George J. Adams

Letters of Oliver Cowdery to W.W. Phelps

List of Recorded Brands, William Clayton

Manifesto from William S. Godbe and E.L.T. Harrison

Hebrew Grammar, James Seixas

Marks and Brands, William Clayton

Melchizedek & Aaronic Herald - Isaac Sheen

The Millenium, Parley P. Pratt

The Mormon

Mormonism: Embracing the origin., James Hunt

Mormonism Unvailed, Eber D. Howe

Mormonism Unveiled, Parley P. Pratt

The Mormons in Illinois, G. W. Westbrook

Narrative of Some of the Proceedings of the Mormons, Catherine Lewis

A Narrative of the Life of Solomon Mack

Nauvoo Expositor

Nauvoo Neighbor

The Olive Branch

The Only Way to be Saved, Lorenzo Snow

Oration Delivered by Mr. Sidney Rigdon

Ordinances of the City of Nauvoo

Ordinances, Passed by the Legislative Council of Great Salt Lake City

Ordinances Passed by the General Assembly of the State of Deseret

`Pamphlet book' - George Albert Smith

`Pamphlet book of miscellaneous pamphlets owned by Wilford Woodruff

Pearl of Great Price (1851, etc)

Plain Facts, Showing the Falsehood and Folly of Rev. C.S. Bush, Parley P. Pratt

Political and Religious Detector, Noah Packard

Proclamation to the People of the Coasts and Islands of the Pacific, Parley P. Pratt

The Prophet

Prophetic Almanac (1845, 1846), Orson Pratt

Prophetic Controversy, James S. Strang

The Reflector

Le Reflecteur

Reply to Shall We Believe in Mormon, Charles W. Wandell

The Return

Various Revelations

Revised Laws of the Nauvoo Legion

Route from Liverpool to Great Salt Lake City, James Linforth

St. Louis Luminary

Edward L. Sloan works

The Seer

A Short Account of a Shameful Outrage, Parley P. Pratt

A Small Selection of Choice Hymns, C. Merkley

Strictures, on Dr. I. Galland's pamphlet, David W. Kilbourne

Synopsis of Phrenology, O.S. Fowler

Synopsis of the Holy Scriptures, Benjamin Winchester

Testimonies for the Truth, Benjamin Brown

Third General Epistle of the Presidency

Times and Seasons

To the Public, William Smith

A Treatise on the Fulness of the Everlasting Gospel, Moses Martin

A True and Descriptive Account of the Assassination of Joseph & Hiram Smith, Thomas A. Lyne

Utah Territorial Library Catalogue

A Vocabulary of the Snake or Shoshone Dialect, Joseph A. Gebow

The Voice of the Captives, Assembled at Zarahemla

The Voice of Truth, Joseph Smith

A Voice of Warning and Proclamation to All, Francis Gladden Bishop

The Wasp

The Western Standard

Why the "Latter Day Saints" Marry a Plurality of Wives, Benjamin F. Johnson

The Wonderful Prophecies of Robert Nixon, Robert Nixon

A Word of Consolation to the Scattered Saints, Jason W. Briggs

Yankee Story, Hiram Bradley Clawson

Zion's Panier

--“Written Records:

Alberta Temple Dedication Services

Missionary Blessing of Truman O. Angell

Arizona Temple Dedication Services

George Bean Report

Ezra T. Benson Missionary Blessing

Carson Valley Mission List of Missionaries

Council of Fifty Minutes and Notes

Elder's Licenses and Record of Ordinations (Independence and Kirtland)

Elk Mountain Mission List of Missionaries

Excommunication Records

Far West List of Members

Far West Record

Female Subscriptions, Nauvoo

1893 First Presidency Minutes

First Presidency Office Journal

Various First Presidency Minutes

Flat Head Mission List of Missionaries

Garden Grove, Iowa, History

1855-1856 General Conference Minutes

Hawaiian Temple Dedication Services

Idaho Falls Temple Dedication Services

Kirtland, Ohio, Township Record and record of Livestock Ear Marks

Kirtland Stake Minutes

Las Vegas Mission List of Missionaries

Liverpool Office Emigration Record (1840-1854)

Logan Temple Dedication Services

Los Angeles Temple Dedication Services

Mormon Battalion Record (1846-1848)

Nauvoo, Ill., City Council Proceedings

Nauvoo, Ill., Deed Records

Nauvoo, Ill., List of Members

Nauvoo, Ill., Marriage Records

Nauvoo, Ill., Municipal Court Docket

Nauvoo, Ill., Schools

Nauvoo, Ill., Seventies License Record

Nauvoo, Ill., Trustee in Trust Tithing and Donation Record

Nauvoo, Ill., Trustee's Land Book

Nauvoo High Council Minutes

Nauvoo Legion Minutes

Nauvoo Library and Literary Institute Minutes

Nauvoo Masonic Lodge Minutes

Nauvoo Relief Society Minutes

New Zealand Temple Dedication Services

Oakland Temple Dedication Services

Pioneer Emigration List

Pottawattamie High Council Minutes

St. George Temple Dedication Services

Salt Lake Stake High Council Minutes

Salt Lake Temple Dedication Services

Salt Lake Temple Annex Dedication Services

Swiss Temple Dedication Services

Teacher's Quorum Minutes (Far West, Kirtland, and Nauvoo)

George A. Smith Letter Book (1854) [Included in Nauvoo Marriage Record Book]

Various other Temple Dedications

--“Manuscript Materials:

Adam-ondi-Ahman Plat

Affidavits on Joseph Smith and Plural Marriage

Arabic manuscript

Berlin Mission, Confidential Report, 1963-1966

Bible, photocopy of Bernhisel copy of Inspired Version manuscript

Bible, manuscript in Deseret Alphabet

Bible, Matthew, Chapter 24

Book of Commandments, Law and Covenants

Book of John Whitmer

Book of Mormon manuscript, Copyright, and Course Taken by Nephites

Book of Mormon manuscripts in Arabic, Armenian, Bulgarian,

Deseret Alphabet, Dutch,Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hindostanee (Urdu), Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Maori, Rumanian, Philippine (Ilicano Dialect), Russian, Slovak, Swedish,Tongan, Turkish, Yugoslavian (Serbo-croatian)

Brands, Utah, manuscript, 1850

George Q. Cannon Journal [May have been moved]

George Q. Cannon letters (1871-1879)

Albert Carrington letter (1886)

Catechism for Children, by John Jaques, manuscript in Deseret Alphabet

Phebe Chase's Temple apron

Church of the First-born of the Fulness of Times Minutes (1955)
City of Zion Plat

William Clayton letters (1869, 1871, 1874)

William Clayton's manuscript for Emigrant's Guide

Oliver Cowdery Account Books (1835-1836, 1839-1846)

The Hebrew Question, Oliver Cowdery

Oliver Cowdery Journal (1836)

Oliver Cowdery letter to Hyrum Smith (1831)

Oliver Cowdery Revelation (1829)

Warren A. Cowdery Ledgers and Cash Book (1816-1830)

Cypher Book (Telegraph Code Book)

State of Deseret Constitution (1849)

Deseret Alphabet (Punches used for printing)

Deseret First Book, first reader (Incomplete manuscript in Deseret Alphabet)

Deseret Phonetic Speller in Deseret Alphabet

Deseret Second Book, second reader, in Deseret Alphabet

Doctrine and Covenants, manuscript in Deseret Alphabet

Doctrine and Covenants, Kirtland Revelations

Doctrine and Covenants, Czechoslovak manuscript

Doctrine and Covenants (handwritten copies of revelations)

Documentary History of the Church, original manuscript

Various Dream Mine papers

Egyptian Alphabet and Grammar, and various manuscripts

Far West Missouri Plat

Fundamentalist Church Minutes (1951-1952)

ohn L. Ginn manuscript

Miles Goodyear map

Jacob Hamblin Journal and letters

Martin Harris, deeds and articles of agreement

Lansford W. Hastings map

Hebrew Grammar manuscript

John E. Hill's manuscripts of hymns and tracts in Hungarian

Historian's Office Journal (1858-1878)

Historical Notation manuscript (Guide for material used in compiling DHC, 1841-1857)

Orson Hyde manuscripts containing some sections of D&C

Orson Hyde Revelation (3/14/1846)

Independence, Missouri, Temple Plans

Indian Wars, manuscript by John L. Ginn

Inspired Version manuscript by James E. Talmage (cross referenced to Inspired Version)

List of Persons Driven from Jackson County, Missouri, in 1833

Andrew Jenson's Temple garment

Kirtland, Ohio, Plat

Masonry Affidavits and article by William S. Paine

William McLellin Diary

Petition of Citizens of Carroll County, Missouri, 1838

John Moore's Application to become a citizen, and trial in Bishop's Court

Mormon Battalion Member List

Mountain Meadows Massacre manuscript, John L. Ginn

Nauvoo, Ill., Act to Incorporate the City (1840)

Nauvoo Municipal Court (impression on seal of wax, 1843)

L. John Nuttall Diary [May have been moved]

Obituary Notices of Distinguished Persons (1837-1872)

William S. Paine manuscript of "In Defense of Joseph Smith the Prophet"

Patriarchal Blessings, Vol. 2, Joseph Smith Sr., (includes transactions of the Twelve, 1835)

Pearl of Great Price, Book of Abraham manuscripts

Pearl of Great Price, Book of Moses manuscript

Pearl of Great Price, Egyptian manuscripts

LaMar Peterson's manuscript for "Hearts Made Glad," and his excommunication minutes

William W. Phelps Journal (1835)

List of Original Pioneers

Various Portraits (Daguerreotype, tintype, ambrotype, and glass) of Old Tabernacle,Temple Square, Joseph F. Smith, Isaac Hale, Polly Walworth Lambson, Joseph Smith III, Eliza R. Snow, Charles E. Keetch, J.T. Ross, John W. Young, Nauvoo Temple ruins, Brigham Young Jr., Robert Warner, Julia Earl Warner, John Smith, Brigham Young, Emma and Bertha Howell Jenson, Mrs. W.C. Staines, Parley P.Pratt, William Stewart Seeley, Lovina Smith Walker, Capt. James Brown, and numerous unidentifiable persons

Parley P. Pratt's Temple apron

George Reynolds letter (1888)

John W. Rigdon's manuscript on the life story of his father, Sidney Rigdon

Brigham H. Roberts' manuscripts of "Data of Verbal and

Grammatical Errors in theBook of Mormon," "The Life Story of B. H. Roberts," and "The Way, the Truth, The Life"

Orrin Porter Rockwell, Affidavit by Milo Andrus (1934)

San Bernardino Ranch Deed (1857)

Paul G. Schettler's Temple apron

Annie Smith letter in Deseret Alphabet (1869)

Hyrum Smith Journal (1838-1839)

Piece of Joseph Smith's shirt and vest

Joseph Smith Journals (1832-1834, 1835-1836, 1839)

Joseph Smith Letter Book (1829-1835, 1838-1843)

Joseph Smith letters (1831, 1832, 1833, 1836, 1839-1844)

Joseph Smith petition of Saints to Congress of U.S. (1839)

Joseph Smith painting on tin

Joseph Smith Revelations (not included in D&C)

Joseph Smith wax seal (1844)

Joseph Smith's "Views of the Powers and Policy of the Government" (1844)

Lucy Mack Smith's manuscript of "Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith and His Progenitors"

William Smith essay (notes written on Chamber's Miscellany)

Eliza R. Snow's Temple apron

Lorenzo Snow Revelations

James J. Strang's 6/18/1844 letter (Purportedly from Joseph Smith)

John Taylor Diary [May have been moved]

Moses Thatcher's High Council Trial Minutes (1897)

Twelve Apostle's Minutes (1835, 1849-1870)

Utah Territory Census Statistics (1872)

Nelson Wheeler Whipple Journal

David Whitmer Testimony (1881)

Newel K. Whitney's 1842 letter from Joseph Smith

Lyman Wight's petition to the Honorable Senate of the United States

Frederick G. Williams' manuscript on questions, characters on Book of Mormon, etc.

Wilford Woodruff's handkerchief given to him by Joseph Smith

Wilford Woodruff Revelations

Charles S. Woodward letter and account of Dream Mine investigation

Brigham Young promissory note for $18.50 to be repaid in kitchen chairs (1830)

List of Zion's Camp Members

--“Materials not listed in Manuscript Card Catalog:

Coins (Centennial coin issued by Reorganized Church; Deseret

gold coins; Joseph Smith's coins [paid by Joseph just before martyrdom]; Joseph Smith penny

Coins (Dies for gold coins)

Coins from many countries

Council of Fifty Minutes, rolls (1845-1849, 1867-1868, 1880-1882)

Various Currencies (Kirtland Safety Society; Deseret currency;

Deseret Currency

Association, cooperatives, mercantile institutions; Bank of Monroe; City of Nauvoo; Nauvoo House Association; Nauvoo Legion; storehouse notes; Drover'sBank; First National Bank of GreatSalt Lake City; GSLC Corp; Salt Lake CityCorp; Salt Lake City National Bank of Utah; Utah State National Bank; Utah Territorial Mercantile Currency; ZCMI; etc.

Awards in the form of coins, issued by Deseret Agriculture & Manufacturing Society, etc.

Badges, for Pioneer Jubilee (1851); state celebrations; old folks day, etc.

Medals of Lorenzo Snow; Mormon Temple; Pony Express Diamond
Jubilee; BrighamYoung, etc.

Obscene Material [I don't know what this could be]

John Taylor Revelation (1882)

John Whitmer, photocopy of his original manuscript

Seer stones

"’Obscene Material’?$18.50 to be paid in kitchen chairs"??? I love how this list is a mixture of the obviously historically relevant, the mundane, and the absolutely whacked-out absurd. Who knows what else could be in the vaults? A research lab, where they are developing better equipment for spying on the membership, maybe? ; ) In any case, I always enjoy threads like these, since they rankle the hypersensitive TBMs to no end.”

(“What's In The Secret Church Vault?,” July 2007)

Conclusion:

The "First Presidency Vault”/“President's Vault”/"Church Vault"/“F Vault”/"Vault” appears to exist. It also appears to basically be an over-stuffed, somewhat haphazardly-stored collection of various odds and ends--some of it mundane, some of it bizarre, some of it inconsequential, some of it quaint, some of it curious, some of historically significant, some of it inexplicable; and perhaps all of it something the Mormon Church doesn't want most folks to see.

In short, it's the Treasure Chest of a Crazy, Backwater, Loony Little Cult.

The place essentially consists of a room of shelves holding--in no real sort of systemized organization or retrieval, an assortnent of old books and journals--and outside of which is a small fresh-water pool for drinking that is fed by the mountain.

No reliable evidence exists that it sports the Urim and Thummim, Sword of Laban or gold plates.

There is, however, a leprechaun dressed in green garments who sits at the entrance of the vault singing "Give Said the Little Stream." (Ask the Angel Moroni. He'll confirm it).

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2017 05:30PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 04:40PM

and stories regarding the vault are located here:

http://salamandersociety.com/museum/vault/

If/when the LDS Church comes across hard times financially they could sell the entire contents of the vault to The History Channel for another stranger than fiction episode. LOL

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 06:19PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 06:34PM

Don't forget the bigfoot and Roswell evidence.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 07:10PM

How many times have the brethren snuck a peak at that?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 08:22PM

Dayum Steve, thar's a nuther Pulitzer my man.

Eric will definitely need to archive this.

Thanx for the groundbreaking R&R.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 01:03AM

BTW, FCI has appeared here once or twice in the last six years or so, and I'm hopeful we'll be offered more information in the future. He was worried about "being outed" with possible serious family recriminations, so... In truth, though, my friend, if you're reading this, I'm having a senior moment on your real name but my regular e-mail is the same.

FCI mentioned the "Do Not Call List" as part of the protocol for filling the offices of bishp and above, and he "sealed the deal" with me by mentioning someone I'd known since high school. I later confirmed that individual was involved in an "ethics scandal" that embarrassed him publicly. FCI mentioned he was a son-in-law of one of the apostles, and said he was "called as a result." I haven't been able to confirm that one despite looking at church marriage records (divorce? That's strikes me as possible).

The "F Vault" which we were particularly interested was now accessible only by the FP; apparently that was a reaction to Hofmann's pilfering material and apparently selling it back to the church.

FcI's description was "everything was really old."

Okay folks, this discussion always attracts the trolls, so be good little exmo's and use the "report" button.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 01:23AM

apparently the vault builders don't read their own scriptures.

The mountains WILL be coming down. Not a good place to hide history.

Did they forget about things buried in the earth becoming 'slippery'? Just when you think you've got it, those darn valuable things get swallowed into the earth. How inconvenient is that?

Those vaults are proof of mormon paranoia and insanity. There wouldn't be a mormon on the planet if they knew what was hidden in those vaults. Well, except for the ones that are raking in cash for themselves and their families for generations to come.

They thought they had it all under lock and key. They never saw the internet and Google coming at them full speed.

I'm one of the most grateful exmos around. I never ever thought i'd see the day when mormonism would be exposed for the hoax it is. It's incredibly validating to me. I can't get those 50 years back, but i'm so glad that i've seen the mormon con get drug out into the light during my lifetime. The next 20 years are going to be interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2017 01:23AM by janis.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 09:44AM

Just like when JS would claim, in order to preserve his integrity that things buried in the earth became "slippery" because, in reality they weren't there at all, the Mormon Church has things in their vault they don't want anyone to see because it proves their fraud.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 02:00PM

F Vault = The Memory Hole.

I'm surprised they don't destroy everything in there.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: July 20, 2017 04:59PM

Reminds me of Nixon, who couldn't keep himself from keeping the very tapes that, in the end, 'done-him-in'.

Quite a trip through this material---thanks for sharing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.