Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 23, 2017 06:21PM

Or is it hanging on the mental state of America's head of state? (which, if the latter, might mean that the Constitution is, in fact, hanging by a thread--unless the 25th Amendment is invoked in order to correct the problem).

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/8b63ed44d2c6a031e5f87232a2fa6b2e3d963bc9/c=0-49-3759-2875&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2017/02/18/Phoenix/Phoenix/636230206804401316-benson-cartoon-mental-illness.jpg
_____

Here's the following recent exchange that I had with an upset correspondent about that 'toon.

--from the Complainer:

" . . . [With] your cartoon of President Trump which depicts him as having mental illness[,] . . . [y]ou have stepped over the line this time you commie, pinko, ultra left wing liberal moron!!

"Portraying the President as having mental illness is below contempt!!! You are a slimeball Of epic proportions . . . [You work for a] left wing, hate spewing newspaper."

--My reply (sent in the form of the following links):

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/lawrence-odonnell-msnbc-donald-trump-mentally/2016/08/02/id/741865/

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/02/16/psychiatrist-insult-mentally-ill-call-trump-mentally-ill.html

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/kristine-marsh/2017/02/21/msnbc-uproar-over-meaningless-museum-visit-trump-out-chances

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/opinion/mental-health-professionals-warn-about-trump.html?_r=0

--Complainer's response (original spelling left intact):

"All heresay and speculative to say the least. Until the man ever has a full phycological profile by an eminent Dr, it's heresy to continue to demean the man."

--My reply:

"These are actually perspectives expressed by mental health professionals, based on their collective knowledge and experience.

"I did the research. You did the screaming.

"Thanks for writing."
_____

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 08:53PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 23, 2017 06:46PM

Personal slurs aside, the Tribune is a "hate-spewing newspaper?"

Hoo boy.

Date: February 23, 2017 07:11PM

Date: February 23, 2017 09:53PM

Sorry, Steve. Senior moment for me. Is the Republic a liberal bastion?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 09:56PM by donbagley.

Date: February 24, 2017 12:01AM

Thanks. I'll read it.

Update: Impressive. Two Pulitzer winners and several national awards. Lots of public service. Thanks, Steve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 12:05AM by donbagley.

Date: February 24, 2017 02:15AM

Posted by: Toonimony ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 10:05AM

Sing Praise to the Cartoon Man!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 10:15AM

Well, this is starting to sound Looney Tunes to me!

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 04:13PM

The Arizona Republic has long been on the conservative side when it comes to politics. It did, however, endorse Mrs. Clinton in the recent election.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 04:29PM

Lumberjack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Arizona Republic has long been on the
> conservative side when it comes to politics. It
> did, however, endorse Mrs. Clinton in the recent
> election.

Pay no attention to that buzzing noise, it's only Barry Goldwater spinning in his grave.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 09:28AM

I always thought that the Arizona Republic should just change their name to the "Arizona Democrat". They refuse to use the words "illegal alien". They buy-in to all of the "new world order" nonsense, and for years opposed our democratically-elected Sheriff. The Arizona Republic exerted so much liberal influence for so long, that our otherwise Conservative state has approached the liberal end of the scale on many issues. Then to top it off, they endorced Hillary.

I quit reading the Arizona Republic long ago for one primary reason. I often started to say on some issues 'gee... maybe the liberals are right this time'. Then for the first time in my life, I started fact-checking what I read in the daily newspaper. Every time, they had lied and/or made things up that couldn't be proven, to sway the public in a to liberal direction. Finally, I decided for myself that the Arizona Republic is mental posion. Now, if I happen to see a compelling front-page headline on their news stands, I'll type that headline in to a google search and select articles to read there, from sources that I trust. The last thing I want to do is to put coins in to their machine to actually make it look like I bought-in to any degree, with whatever they wrote.

Posted by: AnonNowatthemoment ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 04:41PM

It was, I believe, the first time in the history of the newspaper (over 100 years) that it had endorsed a Democrat.

Date: February 26, 2017 08:59AM

Posted by: up ( )
Date: February 23, 2017 08:54PM

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 23, 2017 11:52PM

Isn't it peculiar that for the most stressful, most powerful leadership position in the world has no mental health evaluation?

Date: February 24, 2017 02:24AM

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 01:16PM

Hervey Willets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't it peculiar that for the most stressful,
> most powerful leadership position in the world has
> no mental health evaluation?

I had to take a "mental health evaluation" test to go to work in a BOOKSTORE. Same thing in a loan company and then again in a bank. Here's the funny part: I got the job at the loan company and at the bank (and had the best over/short record of any teller ever, for what that's worth), but the bookstore would not hire me. It's the way the questions are worded on some of those tests and when I filled it out, I knew I was putting something they would take the wrong way, but the way they had it worded--I just decided to be honest. They seemed to think I was the type person who would not turn in an employee who was stealing from them, which I would do. (Sadly, if I liked the co-worker, but right is right.) So--the bookstore lost my honest work ethic and the loan company and bank both gained. As for America, I don't think any of the standard tests would tell us anything we don't already know. :(

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 12:28AM

"All heresay and speculative to say the least. Until the man ever
has a full phycological profile by an eminent Dr, it's heresy to
continue to demean the man."

Heresy? I knew the religious right was solidly behind Trump but
"heresy?"

Date: February 24, 2017 02:17AM

That must be a whole new category of soul damning.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 06:43AM by steve benson.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 12:47AM

I agree with the statement "its an insult to the mentally ill to call trump mentally ill."

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:53AM

NPD, especially of the malignant kind, is a different animal than other disorders such as bipolar, schizo-affective, DID, and schizophrenia to name a few.

Everyone has a little bit of narcissism, but the people who take it to pathological levels are the generally untreatable and destructive to society. I would venture to say that most politicians, religious leaders, and CEOs have some level of NPD on a spectrum, but ideally they try to mitigate the worst of it.

Just because someone is mentally ill doesn't mean they can't be held accountable for their actions. It's not a get out accountability and do what I want card without reaping the eventual consequences.

Posted by: Loyalexmo not logged in ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:35AM

If he's mentally ill...He's got a lot of supporters. They scare me more than he does. Maybe he's motivated by mental illness, but that's a personal issue. The racism, sexism and homophobia that people are eating up and feeding off of are a widespread social problem. To me that's the bigger issue. Even if he has NPD, fine-- while that might be bad it's not an epidemic. Xenophobia, rabid fearmongering...Those are.

Date: February 25, 2017 05:59PM

I too have PTSD but he does not have your normal mental illness, He definitely has other things like childlike behavior but I don't see a man that has schizophrenia like you said and I've been around a lot of mentally people in my life.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 12:47AM

Victim trope. Everyone gets a trophy. Thx for the laugh.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 01:10AM

I think there is a larger narrative to consider than Trumps mental competence to conduct the affairs of the oval office. I have to trust that those who hold the power to invoke the 25th amendment are of sound mind and will make that decision should it be deemed necessary. I don't agree with everything Trump says or does but I agree with much of it.

I believe he has done the unthinkable; he has assumed the power of the office and refused to be a pawn for deep state establishment interests. I think JFK tried this also. Worse yet, he is actually draining the swamp and the creatures lurking beneath the surface scum that don't want to let the water level drop to expose them.

Date: February 24, 2017 02:05AM

Cute but lacking substance, just scribbling with colors!

Date: February 24, 2017 02:10AM

For you, Russian tyrants, Wall St. bankers and immoral hypocrites are "cute."

Case rested.

What would Jesus do?: Tell him to "go thy way and sin some more"?

My scribblings beat your dribblings. :)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 02:33AM by steve benson.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 01:20AM

Date: February 24, 2017 01:29AM

+1

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 01:29AM

Steve,

Do you colorize your drawings yourself, or defer that to an outside entity? And if you do, how? Photoshop or other electronic means, or watercolor, or something else? (If you've described your artistic process elsewhere, feel free to point me in that direction.)

Date: February 24, 2017 01:49AM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 02:22AM by steve benson.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 02:41AM

Trump doesn't wear striped ties. Loosely.Bahaha.

Date: February 24, 2017 02:58AM

Trump wears striped ties:

https://themanofesto.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/trump3.jpg

And he wears ties loosely:

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/57bb3d82ce38f235008b820e-2400/donald%20trump%20roast.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 03:02AM by steve benson.

Date: February 24, 2017 03:21AM

I don't perceive Trump as a threat to the constitution. Any threat to the constitution existed long before he even thought of pursuing the oval office. The threat to the constitution comes from corrupt and lawless activities of the deep state wich have been in operation for many decades. Operations that intentionally disinform the public, create divisions and civil unrest that neutralize any power of the people to challenge their oligarchic rule.

Date: February 24, 2017 03:27AM

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 04:36PM

Felix,
I suggest that you read "All the President's Men". Even though the current administration has only been in power a few weeks, you might already be able to notice some commonalities it has with the Nixon administration. Don't just watch the film version, however. The book gives you a much better picture of what was going on.
Perhaps you read it years ago, I don't know. Maybe its time we all read it again.

Date: February 26, 2017 09:01AM

Date: February 26, 2017 09:49AM

This is something we studied in depth in Political Science as an undergrad. Thanks for the refresher mini-course.

The founding fathers planned our country in such a way as there to be in-fighting among the masses at the local and grassroots level. So there'd be less energy and resources to concentrate on the big dogs at the national.

So far it seems to be working, eh?

It goes along with the "Conquering by dividing" theme.

Date: February 24, 2017 03:41AM

Hahaha you really don't like trump I think hes more likable than some politicians and more real than a lot of them that have been doing it for decades even though he has a lot of issues he's still better than half the existing politicians in my opinion but I could be wrong I know you have STRONG views on this.

Date: February 24, 2017 04:04AM

Date: February 24, 2017 04:17AM

I take and accept that, you have more knowledge on the issue by far so keep on keepin on

Date: February 26, 2017 10:08AM

I know the cartoon man is a twoo pwophet

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 04:15AM

I'm a retired 20-year vet of the USAF and I have always been proud of my country...until now. Perhaps it was necessary to have someone like Trump in office to show us how much further we really need to go. I used to think that racism was in the past, sexism was no more...obviously I was looking through rose-colored glasses but it really seemed that for a while we were rising above such things and now we are awash in it.

Our government seems broken. It appears that our "Divinely Inspired" Constitution is not as important as defending the party line or over-reacting about immigrants.

The uber-rich are now running the asylum. Perhaps they always did.

Posted by: Michjjk ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:07AM

Govt. That is the problem. Any politician wanting to limit power of feds is a friend of mine.

Date: February 25, 2017 04:22AM

I think they've always been running it

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:29AM

After kennedy, a law was passed prohibiting family members from working in the administration.

I'm hoping that in 2021 two laws are passed:

1) mental fitness requirement
2) tax returns mandatory

Posted by: Doctor Know ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:37AM

How about

3) Health Records
4) College transcripts

?

Date: February 26, 2017 09:58AM

That takes a leap of faith to believe we're going to survive these next four years as a nation!

Date: February 25, 2017 10:31AM

I know the cartoon is twoo

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:42AM

Funny how they complain about you saying negative things about Trump but they are A-OK saying things far worse about you.

Darn hypocrites!

Compared to what that guy said about you, mental illness is a compliment!

I periodically check out your cartoons. Thank you for speaking out. Thank you for being a professional who can provoke people to expose their core beliefs AND HOW THEY JUSTIFY them.

That is all.

Date: February 26, 2017 09:03AM

Posted by: Free418years ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:42AM

You're a great cartoonist and I just love how you exercise your First Amendment rights!

Date: February 26, 2017 09:09AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 09:09AM by steve benson.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:49AM

What's with the "accept that he's the president" stuff? If he
weren't the president you wouldn't have drawn that cartoon. If
he weren't the president his mental health would not be a worry
to us. His critics accept that he's the president. In fact,
that's the point of their worry.

It's kind of like when Mormons say, "hey, the Church has the
right to make the rules for who they baptize and who they don't."
Nobody is disputing their legal right, just their sense of
decency.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 01:22PM

Keep telling the truth. There is a severe and dangerous precedent sent by Trump by trying to undermine the free press. It's our Constitution right to knowledge and information that is being attacked. A little observation and history shows that is dangerous as it undermines our rights!
Dictators/fascists want to control the press/media.
That goes against the core of our Democratic Republic.
There is one article that shows video examples of Mr Trump as a "malignant narcissist"!
The scary part is the number of people who are willing to accept their degrees as legitimate but disparage any degree in psychiatry or psychology!
The inability of many to recognize the current dangers is very disturbing.

Posted by: mssii ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 07:27PM

There's a constitutional right to knowledge and info?

The First Amendment simply means that no one goes to jail over criticizing the government.

It doesn't mean that the president has to grant you his time for an interview.

If you think this is the case then where were you during the Obama years.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/media-critic-trumps-attacks-on-the-press-are-bad-obamas-are-worse/

Date: February 26, 2017 10:26AM

A free and open press is one of our means to challenge government.

I believe that's what SuzieQ is referring to. That is constitutionally protected. And it would seem, one protection that is under challenge as we speak.

The press is meant to be adversarial, at times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 10:27AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 01:55PM

Cartoon seems dead on to me.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 02:23PM

I just can't figure out Trump's endgame.

He is either mentally ill, OR is a sinister dictator wannabe.

Clearly he is a racist white supremist.

Perhaps he will divide the country and be the dictator of some southern states, and the northern states will align more ideologically with Canada.

He is trying to stop the natural evolution that this world is the smallest it's ever been. There is massive air transportation, and intermixing.

The world is very diverse and it will continue to intermix, that cant be stopped.

Toronto is the most multicultural city on the planet, and the safest in N America. It is also the 4th largest city in N America. Trump really needs to spend a few weeks in Toronto and realize that the world he lives in, is extremely diverse. We even show hockey games in Punjabi.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 03:19PM

But you know, concerning, to me is gravest disrespect to the Khan family after their son received a Purple Heart giving his life for this, our country.

Is this not reminiscent of Hitlerian disrespect of the Jews pre WWII ? Distancing and disrespecting even the ultimate sacrifice when a family has given their all for a country. What is next papers to carry? Documentation? Oh got that. Then the stars then camps?

Someone has to complain.

I am most concerned about a leader disrespecting and not being gracious to parents of dead veterans , decorated Purple Heart veterans.

Date: February 26, 2017 05:34AM

I think that it is sad that Benson brings a cult-like mentality to a place where people come to escape a cult. I expect that others here are likely to bash my post, because I am going to disagree with him. Note to moderators: when a person uses their press credentials and some degree of celebrity (why else would you let him get away with this crap) and their employment status with a large media outlet to promote personal politics elsewhere (like here), that person reasonably opens their employer up to criticism as well. I am asking the moderators to keep this in mind as they consider reaching for the delete key with regard to this response to Benson's post.

Steve Benson has brought fake news to the Arizona Republic for a long time now. The media does not like being called out, especially by a worthy adversary who wins real battles against them in public opinions that they're currently losing control of now, because of Donald Trump. The real mental illness is in Benson's flaming liberal world-view. If his employer likes the fact that he can anger people and stir-up controversy in public thought, they have that right. To do the same thing here has little to nothing to do with recovery from mormonism, unless we want to show real-life examples of cult behavior.

To show an example of how Trump is beating the media badly, consider this. On most of the real news involving Trump, I hear it from him directly via twitter, in real-time and unfiltered. Then a few hours later or the next day Fox news anounces and discusses Trump's tweet. I don't even turn the channel to CNN, nor do I read the Arizona Republic, to get their side of it, because I don't like reading fake news. If I want print media, there's always the Drudge Report. Increasingly, Benson's employer and the rest of their kind are becomming increasingly irrelevant in the public eye. Eventually, the investors will demand that their businesses become profitable, or that they will simply cut expenses (as in closing unprofitable business units). Fake news may make some liberals feel good, but it's not going to be profitable much longer.

And what ever happened to that ^ guy? I used to ask myself if Benson's employer didn't tell him that he better lay low here and that Benson's more mild alter-ego named ^ appeared here as a result soon afterward. That's just a guess of what happened there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 05:54AM by azsteve.

Date: February 26, 2017 09:17AM

. . . for resisting that unAmerican effort? Next, you'll be complaining that the Founding Fathers were cult leaders for supporting free speech.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 09:42AM by steve benson.

Date: February 26, 2017 09:51AM

If George Washington were to somehow come back from the dead and sign up for this "Recovery from Mormonism" board, and then use the board to support liberalism instead of recovery from mormonism ideas, we would need to first ask ourselves why he was doing it and how he can get away with it, considering board rules. If the moderators tended to look the other way from the board rules because 'after-all, this is George Washington', we might be suspicious. If they eventually changed the board rules to allow some mormonism-related political discussion and then George started using a single phraise like "Constitution hangs by a thread", to attack the legally elected and standing president, I would question his motives with respect to compliance with board rules. If the moderators were allowing it to continue and many people piled-on to the attacks in an "... I have the truth and everyone else is wrong" manner, then I would accuse George Washington of using cult-like tactics, or running a cult. I've had far too many of my posts deleted after doing exactly as Benson did, but that my political opinions aren't politically correct, and besides, Benson gets a pass. In this manner, I believe that RFM can be harmful to some new people who come here for help, only to see their beliefs under attacks.

Date: February 26, 2017 09:39AM

Your personal Christmas message on RFM was to attack the "liberal left" and "political correctness"--favorite targeted themes of you and yours on the political right.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1914967,1915388#msg-1915388

There's more of your political gems from where that one came from. If you choose to push it, you can hang yourself with your own politically-partisan words. The search tool on this site is alive and well. Don't make me use it.

Wait. I will use it--right now, in fact.

To quote you:

"The real mental illness is in Benson's flaming liberal world-view."

That came from you in an earlier post in this very thread:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1943015,1944126#msg-1944126

Where are your complaints about the passes you gleefully give yourself in this founrm for your blatant political posts?

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 10:08AM by steve benson.

Date: February 26, 2017 10:27AM

Rush Limbah often gets attacked because his show is not 'balanced'. His response is to say that "I am the balance" to an otherwise fully liberal media. I stand by that "Merry Christmas" post. There is no question that my political beliefs lean quite conservative. I don't necessary follow all beliefs of all other conservatives. So bring it on. Nothing I have written is shameful, although I have grown to be a better person in some cases because of how others responded to what I wrote.

Surely, you can produce more than a Merry Christmas wish to trap me in my own words. The christmas wish disparaged only those who would limit my freedom of expression, and did not exclude anyone who chose to accept the christmas wish as it was intended. Putting aside politics, I have healed some and learned to be more tolerant, and a better person on some issues from feedback from others on this board. For example: I've gone from being prejudiced against gay people and other non-traditional sex roles, to trying to see things from their side, and realizing that not everyone else was born with the same biological drives that motivate me. But you've got to see, this is different from hard-leaning partison politics. Your attacks against an elected US president are no better than mine were when I felt justified in shamelessly attacking the gay community. But this isn't a 'Recovery from Politics' board. And you're not learning the critical lessons either. Just like intolerant mormons who believe that they have the only true church, yours is the only true politics. That is not what this board is for.

Date: February 26, 2017 09:37AM

I see Trump as testing the constitutional limits where no other US president has gone before.

If he wins ... we lose.

And no, in that scenario the Constitution is not hanging from a thread. It will be hanging by a noose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 10:10AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: cog-dis ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 10:05AM

It is not cult-like to agree that a man who acts as if feeding the public 140-character twitter quips is (not) defeating "the fake media," but I find it sad that anyone could be sated by those quips, feeling that they have finally found "the truth," or, that Truth Itself could be found on twitter.

There have been many, many discussions on this board as to the depth, breadth and personal nature of "truth." "Facts" are an entirely different matter. Opposing what is true for one is not the same as opposing what are facts for all, whether each accepts them as "his truth" or not. It may be true for Trump, so then automatically true for you(?), but that does not make it fact.

I don't find it surprising that Utah went against the Deseret News opinion, even though it is little more than a mouthpiece for the Q. The Q have trained members to respond to bigotry, and leaders whom espouse bigotry, with acceptance and compliance. The DN may as well have have written, "Only the Q may tell you whom to hate and define your enemies." It wouldn't have mattered; their machine performed as programmed. Exclusion, shunning, judgement, hate, push the buttons; the gears moved.

Steve B. also was artfully slamming Trump, from the bastions of "fake news," as you put it, azsteve, but from a very different place than the Q. Anyone able to blind himself to those differences has little hope of discerning the "fake" of cult-like behavior. Political cartoons have a long and rich history in the US, and that is a cause for pride (and luck) in having 1st Amendment rights.

There never has been a POTUS who was exempt from critisism. This POTUS not only acts as if he has some sort of imaginary "right" to be free from being critiqued, but calls publishers so "bold" as to offer that critique "fake" and "enemies of the American people."

He has people like you, azsteve, defending those imaginary "rights."

He has people like you, willing to dismiss, or at least bemoan, the Constitution. Didn't he just take an oath to support and defend that document, the cornerstone of our "freedoms?" Are the facts (that he swore to defend it) not as useful as the truth (that he has no use for the 1st Amendment)? Is his oath really so small a thing?

Excuse me, but he does not speak for the majority of "American people," something, as president, he should realize. His powers are derived from "the people," (including those members of the press), not imposed upon them (the people) by a magical, non-existant POTUS authority. ...Unless you'd like to shred the Constitution, that is.

"Facts" about reality are as easily researched as is Mormonism. You have just stated that you have no desire to read "anti" material. Researching Trump is easy. No one can force you to do so.

Again, I ask, whom is exhibiting cult-like behavior?

I believe that is how and why Steve B.'s posts rise above mere politicizing. I dare say that his "blue blood" is not only in his deep knowledge of the wrongs of Mormonism, not only in the Pulitzer prize-winning thought that goes into his cartoons, but that part of his character he uses to shine a light on what he believes to be "evil," no matter the subject in question. His truth, his authorship, his 1st Amendment rights. I have no illusions about his being as faulty as the human next to him, but that is also a matter of degree.

I don't have to agree with him all of the time to admire both him and his work. You would do well to research some of the "anti" material you reject, as you have left yourself disarmed against those who keep up with both sides of the argument.

Did Smith sleep with a 14 year old? Did Trump say he groped (assaulted) any woman he wanted to? Do either of those things go to character, or do you condemn one, support the other, and why? Would you feel no outrage were it you, or yours, whom he groped? Would have you voted for him had it been your daughter?

The fact is, this nation has just elected a man who stated (among many other things, that he, as a very wealthy celebrity, could get away with assaulting any woman he chose.

-Just like kings of old and others so entitled. We don't call them kings anymore, but there are those who by position, celebrity and/or wealth still do this today. Few are so stupid as to brag to members of "the fake media" about it. Were Trump's words fake (oh my) and the reporter - what? The reporter reported what Trump spoke, so that makes the report "fake?" Wow.

Is it a fact, true or not (but why would you call him a liar), that he bragged about his kingly privileges with any woman he chose, regardless of her rights? Allow me to agree with you in advance that he's a liar, and never groped any woman, and that groping any woman as he wills, even yours, is only wishful thinking on his part.

Would you let this man be a scout leader?

Millions of teenage boys must have heard those words on youtube by now, and this nation, even you, said, "So what?"

"What of it? Horney Joe liked him some girls. The truth is not useful. It doesn't matter if he were everything the antis say he is, because we want what we want. And we want to rule our own world."

I would be very careful, azsteve, about whom you feel is entitled to do what. You may be in Trump's neo-protected-class, but you may love someone who isn't. I would not be so defensive of him, in toto, were I you. I would read that again, and and complete the statement:

The only times that I defended anyone in toto, other than myself or my family, were when __________.

It is Trump's own words that go to his ability to govern an extremely complex nation in an even more complex and shrinking world; his inability to consider more than his own world view challenges the notion that he will meet the call. His over-simplifications of issues of which he spoke were fearful to those who could view more than a single perspective. He has induced fear and loathing in most every other world power and their peoples, but then, that would be the "anti" material that you have stated you don't read.

It will be interesting to learn if you will address these points, or merely call me an agent of the adversary. An apologist is an apologist is an apologist. Please offer non-debunkable facts. I'm weary of faith offerings (truthiness) for He whom is purported to be the "most powerful man on the planet."

A thread, the one by which the Constitution hangs, the cornerstone of the freedom to hold our governing powers to public account for their words and actions, be they religious or political, is in our hands. You seek to destroy this one small strand (this thread) in asking if political freedom on RfM is to be completely shunned. You (and others) stubbornly cling to the notion that "anti-trump" is an evil to be destroyed, not a difference to be explored.

btw, I'm not so much "anti-trump" as I am "anti-trumpism." Supporting any leader without criticism or question is not healthy. Period. I would rest easier if those who elected him would do a little of the heavy lifting. He's in. Now hold him to account.

Date: February 26, 2017 10:09AM

Your loose political lips serve to sink your right-wing political ship.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 10:13AM by steve benson.

Date: February 26, 2017 10:25AM

When the cartoon man speaks, the thinking has been done.

Date: February 26, 2017 10:33AM

You're sounding more and more like a cult figure, instead of an advocate.

Are you a follower, or do you think for yourself?

Steve is not a cult leader, why do you give him that title?

He doesn't speak for me. Does he for you?

RfM is a forum to denounce cults. Not sustain one or any. Including self-deluded or self-appointed cult figures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 10:35AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: cog-dis ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 10:27AM

Huh? I didn't state anything right-wing. It's possible that I missed a "not" or something, thereby creating a false impression...?

That I find his followers more fearful is in the numbers, not in the nature.

I'm confused by your response.

Date: February 26, 2017 10:42AM

I get it Steve, yours are the only true politics, and all other politics are wrong (NOT). Other than that we have a narcissist here who can't follow the board rules about political discussions because he believes that his own beliefs trump the rules (a familiar belief?), I am not sure exactly how this chain relates to recovering from mormonism. None of us are perfect, and you're a great artist. But I think you're wrong to often promote your personal politics here on this board, when such talent could be put to better use, and that politics are not directly the purpose of this board.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.