Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 07:53PM

Here are the facts.

I am the great great great grandson of Brigham Young and Zina Jacobs.

Apparently they were only married for time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zina_D._H._Young

My father is the eldest child of Rulon Jeffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rulon_Jeffs

My father changed his name legally at 18 to get rid of the first name Rulon (I think that was probably a good idea) and take his step father's surname. His step father didn't legally adopt him until he was 30 but it must have also been a sealing thing as well because that is how it shows in the Mormon genealogy.

My grandfather (my grandmother's second husband) is a direct descendant of Joseph Smith (not paternal only so Smith isn't my last name.)

Now, if Zina isn't sealed to Brigham does that mean I'm sealed to Smith through her? And am I sealed to Smith through my father's adoption?

I don't have any Smith DNA but I suppose in freaky Mormon temple logic I'm doubly sealed to Smith?

I ask because it would be funny. My family is always talking about our illustrious ancestor. In fact my eldest sister gave my parents a gigantic expensive lithograph of the horny monster. I do have his DNA in me. But I don't think that I'm actually sealed to him in anyway????

Funny how "my people" all talk of Young when it is Smith they should talk about and that would be ridiculous because we were all adopted into into this ancestry when my father was a grown man with several kids.

I would like to think that their touting their relationship to Brigham Young isn't even "temple worthy." I hope that is the case. If it is then they are even more ridiculous in their ancestor worship than I had previously thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 08:38PM

It would only be valid if it were true that it has validity to begin with.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 05, 2016 09:06PM

I couldn't post on your other thread, so here goes...you are a remarkable man. There was insanity all around you, yet you figured out who you are. You've broken the cycle of secrecy, abuse, and dysfunction. You love your wife and kids. You have a sense of humor and a probing mind.

You and your wife have bound yourselves in marriage. Eventually, the kids will leave home, and it will be you and your wife.

Somehow, in all your ancestors' dysfunction, you came around to being a REAL human being. That's all that's important Elder Berry!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 09:06PM by BYU Boner.

Date: May 05, 2016 11:19PM

I hope I'm real. Sometimes I wonder. Being raised a wooden boy never to play with my woody I wonder if I've ever become real.

But my curiosity kills me.

I know sealing doesn't matter and this thread screams it. It isn't important that my famous ancestor was married in polygamy only for time. What does that say about "forever families"??? When my siblings get to "heaven" and rush to meet Brother Brigham he will tell them that they aren't of his family but of The Smiths?

LOL! I guess I "should be grateful" as I have an "in" with the gatekeeper of heaven right?

Date: May 06, 2016 12:22AM

I think you're pretty real! But, I'm a Boner, what, the fuck, is real? Besides, I give you permission to play with your Woody all you want, it works for me!

Date: May 06, 2016 12:27AM

Besides, maybe we're related and I'm your brother from the Smith line. You never know, Joseph did get around a lot. Ha, me with English blood! No fuckin' way, I'm Central European to the core and have got the hair to prove it!

Date: May 06, 2016 01:44PM

We probably are. I think I misspoke about being directly related. I don't think many Mormons connected to Joseph Smith are directly related. I would have to check but I think grandpa was related to the Smith's through Hyrum Smith or John Smith.

Smith was good at not impregnating his conquests. My ancestor was never impregnated by him but from her Nauvoo Journal it is fairly obvious he did something husbandly to her and made her write about it vaguely as making her feel like a sinner but knowing it was righteous.

Date: May 06, 2016 01:46PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you're pretty real! But, I'm a Boner,
> what, the fuck, is real?

Come, come ye saint, no toilet paper here is real. REAL bad.

> Besides, I give you
> permission to play with your Woody all you want,
> it works for me!

Your woody or playing with it?

Date: May 06, 2016 08:06PM

Playing with my woody is what I do, I'm a guy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 09:22PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 01:54PM

Oh boy!! That sealing stuff sure does make a mess of things.

The one thing in your favor is that the whole idea is imaginary. It only exists in the imagination of the LDS believers.

Joseph Smith Jr etc. had a grand ole time sealing themselves to women, children and to men in an effort to guarantee some kind of favor in their imaginary Celestial Kingdom.

I'm 100% convinced that all of these goofy ideas are totally non-existent in any after life. Interesting ideas though.

I married into the lot, that is, if it's the same direct line. I may ask the family genealogist! The info is probably on a disc someplace. She was that thorough. I'm checking!

When Joseph Smith Jr claimed he found the golden plates in 1827, his older sister Sophronia was all ready married.
"Before the Church was organized, Sophronia married Calvin Stoddard on 2 December 1828." (Church organized in 1830)

Posted by: anonhellyes ( )
Date: May 06, 2016 08:41PM

I think the answer would depend upon whatever "inspired leader" answered your question. A lot of that stuff is just a
headache, and was never really meant to be "figured out" as the next "prophet" could get him some revelation that could change it all anyhow.

Date: May 06, 2016 11:55PM

Yeah, but Joseph Smith himself is the inspired leader they would need to change this on to make my family sealed to Brigham Young.

Quite the quandary and I love it. Our most illustrious ancestor gave old Joe a baby from whom we descend.

Just another example of Mormons accommodating themselves to what they want instead of the shenanigans of their founder.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 05:40PM

Wow! you are royalty! I would say, yes, you are sealed to Joseph Smith, so you have it made. History says that Zina was sealed to Joseph Smith, and married for time to BY.

Date: May 09, 2016 12:46PM

Kinda of ironic that I would be Celestially related to the gatekeeper of heaven and hate him.

I think that kinda cancels out my chances.

Date: May 09, 2016 12:54PM

"What is wanted? The Boner having conversed with the Elder on RfM now desires to enter into his presence."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 12:54PM by BYU Boner.

Date: May 09, 2016 01:00PM

I'll recognize you by what body part parts the veil.

Date: May 09, 2016 01:06PM

HA, we would have a pretty good time, given our earthy sense of humor!

"What is THAT?"
"It's the first token of the Aaronic Penishood."
"Does it have a name?"
"Boner!"

Me, why is there a bulge in the veil?
The sure-sign of the Boner!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 08:11AM

You are pretty real.

Yep, sealing. Insane. As I've talked about before and the story is in the temple thread, after doing multiple sealings in the temple to some guy I didn't know, nothing more mind boggling than that. To think I thought I needed a temple marriage so I'd have my family forever.

You do have a very screwed up lineage. I found Zina's thoughts and experiences in "In Sacred Loneliness" to be really messed up.

Date: May 09, 2016 12:47PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You do have a very screwed up lineage. I found
> Zina's thoughts and experiences in "In Sacred
> Loneliness" to be really messed up.

I cried reading that book and especially that part. My polygamist sister loves this book and it bolsters her faith.

I don't understand. It seems masochistic to me.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: May 07, 2016 02:20PM

With all that insanity in your family, how did you turn out so (relatively) stable?

Date: May 09, 2016 12:51PM

I don't know. My oldest sister tells everyone that because I was the only of us 10 children to rebel as a teen against my narcissistic, controlling, and emotionally abusive mother that I probably have the fewest psychological problems as an adult.

I don't know about that. She is a psychologist so maybe that is where she got that theory.

I'm now one of 2 of these 10 to opt out of Mormonism. I think my just older than me older brother doing this has helped him immensely. Choosing his gay son over the morgue has made him a new man. I actually like the guy now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 12:51PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 04:35PM

In the Mormon world Zina is sealed to Joseph Smith and any
children she had (even from later "for time" marriages to
Briggy) would be sealed to Joseph Smith as their father.
Therefore, in the Mormon world you are the great great great
grandson of Joseph Smith.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.