Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 02:19PM

My eldest sister took the liberty to sign my children up as granddaughter's of Brigham Young. In a recent post I realized that according to stupid Mormon sealing rules our family has granddaughters of Joseph Smith and not Brigham Young since we come from Zina Huntington Jacob's only child with Brigham Young and he had himself sealed to her for "time only."

I'm still pissed about it. My sister had no right to take it upon herself and list my children as Young's and put both my email and my wife's email on their list. My wife blocked my sister. I haven't.

I recently received this about their impending yearly hoopla.

"If this invite does not apply to you or your family please let me know and I will see that you only get emails regarding Family Association events and not Granddaughter events.
Thanks!"

And another email pointing me to this site.

https://brighamyounggranddaughters.wordpress.com/

Now here is what I need help with. I don't think the invite applies to me or my family. My kids are granddaughters of the bigot guy. They know I don't care for his memory. I don't know if this will ever be important to them. I think it won't. They could care less about Bigamy Young.

I don't know if I should tell them about it? They know they were signed up when they were very little. The responses I would like to send are piling up in my head. I don't want them to hold it against me that I put the kibosh on this nonsense.

What would you do?

This is the kind of crap Mormons do. They are busybody nobodies for no one worth remembering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 02:37PM

Something along the lines of:

My and my children's information about our possible heritage, our life details, our contact information and so on is not for you to share without our prior approval. It is not for you to use for your own purposes. It simply isn't yours.

In this day of data mining and identity theft, safegaurding these details is my responsibility and I ask that you respect my choices in these matters for my own data. It is my decision for how this information can and will be used.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 02:45PM

Ask her why anyone would want to celebrate being related to a muderous, racist, bigamist who was also a pedophile?

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 02:45PM

Contact that crazy organization and say you were added to the list in error. That you and your children are not now or will you ever be interested in anything related to the Mormon church.

The tell your sister the next time she hands out your personal information you will either see her in court, or post her children as members of Scientology.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 03:00PM

This reminds me... my TBM sister- and brother-in-law are shunning us, but in typical reasonable-boundaries-be-da*med fashion, they tried to reach out to my kids at Christmastime, making a big deal about some stupid homemade mormoney crap. Naturally, their goal was to try to maintain some sort of "we're wonderful" relationship with our kids, while continuing to shun us, and treating my wife particularly poorly (but that's another story).

Anyway, the brother is a semi-high ranking military officer, so I told him that if they did it again I'd be reporting them to his chain of command, the local authorities, etc, anyone I needed to to get the message across, to leave our children alone. My premise was that even though nothing would likely come of it, it would cause him plenty of embarrassment. I already know that he's highly sensitive to "being Mormon" and how people perceive it. She's always protesting, "we're not weird..." I always want to say, "yes, you are."

Anyway, maybe you can embarrass this sister into leaving you alone. I know this also fuels their "we're persecuted" complex, but if their pain threshold is low enough, it might work. And she has no business signing your kids up for "civic" or "social" groups without your permission.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 03:10PM

That is up to them, not your sister. The lds really do think they own our children, that our children are just on loan to us. Mormons have NO BOUNDARIES.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 03:14PM

Just tell the organizers that you want your daughters' names taken off of the list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2016 03:14PM by summer.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 04:12PM

Tell the organizers that in this day and age of the internet, for children to be solicited (and be sure and use that word) for anything without their parents' permission or approval is tantamount to stalking and will be treated as such. Therefore, you are demanding that their names be removed from any list.

If your daughters should ever wish to be associated with such an organization, and one can only hope that is not the case, they can pursue it at a later date.

There is no reason for you to feel bad about doing this. It is what any responsible parent would do.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 04:06PM

Tell your sister that you have taken the liberty of submitting her name for membership in the "Hot Mormon Housewives - Available to Serve!"

Tell her you have signed up her kids in the "Lucifer Legion - Raisin' Hell For a Good Cause"

Date: May 09, 2016 04:24PM

LOL! Balled to serve.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 04:12PM

This is all about invasion of privacy and lack of boundaries.

Date: May 09, 2016 04:38PM

I just read this reply to an earlier thread of mine.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1811694,1813026#msg-1813026

Perhaps I should tell the Granddaughter's of Brigham Young people that my kids aren't granddaughters by their own church's rules?

Posted by: lolly18 ( )
Date: May 09, 2016 05:55PM

Assuming they are children, "Please remove my children's names ______________, and mine from your system. They were given you not by a parent and not with our consent. After you have confirmed having done so and that you will delete all contact info from your records, do not contact us again."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.