Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Annie Onymous ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 04:33AM

I have taken on a new personal project. I'm putting together a collection of the silliest, most offensive, and embarrassing quotes from leaders and top authorities from TSCC. Things like the Journal of Discourses (direct quotes from prophets), conference talks, scriptures, and the lds.org essays. I'd prefer to stay away from apologetics other than lds.org, as TSCC could easily distance themselves from the vastly differing "not officially supported" theories.

I've got stuff like Martin Harris apparently visiting the moon (followed up by Joseph F Smith stating that man will never visit the moon or space, ever) and that one time SWK ran into Bigfoot/Cain for a casual chat. I'm most interested in this flat-out weird stuff, but also things like Joseph Smith's (many, many) false prophecies and declarations of war against Missouri/the Federal Government/all other churches.

I plan on putting them together in a small blog, posting one or two a day with sources. I think it'll be interesting to see what kind of strange things ooze out of the woodwork, and hopefully people will get a good chuckle out of it. If you guys have any favorite quotes, I'd love to get a few suggestions as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 08:09AM

'satan rules the waters' as declared by Horny joe, after he fell out of a canoe

Posted by: here you go ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 11:45AM

There's so much to choose from, this could be a very long-term project. This will give you a start.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1739452

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1324407

Also go to MormonThink. They've got a lot of good quotes on many subjects.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 12:10PM

One of my favorites:

"I think no more of taking another wife than I do of buying a cow." - Apostle Heber C. Kimball

Posted by: Annie Onymous ( )
Date: February 11, 2016 12:50PM

Oh, how romantic! And just in time for Valentine's Day! I might post a few on the 14, like how Brigham would impale any of his wives and monogamy is a curse on humanity. A love bomb, if you will.

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: February 12, 2016 10:44PM

I don't have a quote at hand, but I always found the 'three Nephites' going around the world so strange.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 12:31AM

My wife has supposedly educated cousins in W. Virginia who don't think NASA ever put a man on the moon and that all the rocket launches are done using CGI....the earth is 6000 years old 'cause their hellfire and brimstone evangelical preacher told them so.
Sweet hillbilly folk...but dumb.

RB

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 13, 2016 01:01AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.