Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dog-owner ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 04:49PM

We got to take the dog to a vet and let her fall into eternal sleep.

Can not find the words.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 04:55PM

It's the worst. That's the down side of them being so wonderful and loving you no matter what. Nothing helps so I have no words either. I'll hold mine a little tighter tonight.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 04:56PM

Posted by: Tom Hall ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:04PM

You can find comfort that your dog loves you unconditionally and wants to please you; relieving your friend of that responsibility, as it gets more difficult in declining health is OK.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:05PM

We all die.
Your dog got to be with you during its life.
From what I can tell...it was a lucky dog :)

Date: October 30, 2017 05:15PM

Thx for your support. She will be missed.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:20PM

The days I lost my dogs have been the worst days of my life. I'll never completely get over it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:33PM

Be strong. You're doing the right thing for your good friend.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:43PM

So sorry about your loss. So tough.

You gave her a happy life. Any dog should be half so lucky.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:43PM

We mourn with you.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:46PM

This is from "The Last Will and Testament of an Extremely Distinguished Dog" by Eugene O'Neill":

I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain. Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said good-bye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me. It will be sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:47PM

I'm so sorry. Your dog was very lucky to be so loved and well cared for.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 05:54PM

I had to put down my 13 year American Cocker Spaniel 6 weeks ago. That was tough. Glad I've got one left to love.

Date: October 31, 2017 08:13PM

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 02:28PM

I agree Mr. Reprobate, you have had a lot of loss and separation recently...

(((((((Hugs))))))

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 06:03PM

Thank you...

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 06:02PM

I feel so much for what you're feeling now...

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 06:39PM

I think I cried for days when we had to put our first Anatolian Shepherd down.

If your dog is in pain, you're doing the right thing.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 07:23PM

<3 <3 <3

That will be happening to us in the next day or two for our cat.

May her memory be for a blessing to you and yours always

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 07:32PM

Hugs to you too, angela.

TG

Date: October 30, 2017 09:02PM

Tahoe Girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hugs to you too, angela.
>
> TG

Hugs from me, also.

:(

Date: October 31, 2017 08:17PM

Thank you both. It will be in the morning. We are fortunate that the vet will come here. The trip to the vet would be far to stressful on her.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 07:32PM

There are no words. I understand your pain, having had to the same thing on multiple occasions. Hugs.

TG

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 08:08PM

The "Ducky" character on NCIS had a great line a few weeks ago. I had to go back and write it down...supposedly from a tombstone in Ireland (as Ducky said, "Nobody does death quite like the Irish!")

Death leaves a heartache no on can heal.
Love leaves a memory no one can steal.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 08:18PM

(((Dogowner)))) I am so very sorry. I feel like crying with you.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 30, 2017 08:27PM

Thank you for being a caring dog owner. They depend on us to do the right thing for them and prevent them from suffering.

They cannot ask for an aspirin or tell you about their pain very well. They patiently wait for us to help.

I know my dog would do the same for me if she could.

I'm convinced that one way to spot a good person is that they are kind to animals. :-) Sorry for your loss.

Posted by: MnRN ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 12:12AM

I hope the anguish is decreasing a little every day. Such is the price we pay for having such wonderful companions.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 12:54AM

((((Hugs))) for all the animal lovers experiencing loss. Our animal companions provide us with mischief, joy, and unconditional love. Not allowing your companions to be in pain is a loving gift you can give them. It’s still very hard.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 01:23AM

Our neighbor is a vet, and she gets so incensed over owners that let their pets just linger and languish until they die "naturally," rather than easing them to the Rainbow Bridge with the help of a caring vet.

Over the years, I have gotten some of the sweetest "condolence" cards from various vets, signed with loving little messages by each staff member. I still have many of those cards.

I'm glad for the time and love that you and your precious dog have shared! Please let these memories lighten your grief a little!

Posted by: mrsnotasiplanned ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 06:41AM

So sorry.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 07:32AM

I am so sorry. I have lost many beloved kitties over the years, and it never gets easier. If there is any heaven worth being in, all our pets will be there too.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:31AM

I'm so sorry, Dog-owner.

I still miss my black lab. She was a rescue dog, the last of a litter of puppies, in a pen, at the mall, at Christmastime, and the kids and I fell in love with her. My husband (the father of my children) had just abandoned us, and we were uncertain whether we would even have a home, ourselves, and we had very little money, so I said no. On our way home, in a snowstorm, at night, we talked about how that puppy was going to be put in a cage in the back of a freezing cold truck, and driven all the way back to Kanab, that night, having missed her chance of finding anyone to love her. We turned around, and went back to the mall, but someone else had adopted the puppy. We were sad, because we felt she belonged to us. I felt that we should stay until the mall closed, just in case. There was no way I was going to leave! Just at closing time, a girl came in the mall entrance, carrying our puppy! She said her husband didn't want the dog, because the dog was sick.

We adopted her, and took her to the vet the next day, and we worried that she might not pull through. We kept her warm, fed her chicken soup, and antibiotics, and gave her all the love in the world, to at least keep her happy. She would have died on the journey to Kanab. Yes, words can not say how much love and joy that dog brought into our life.

You spend more time with your pet, than you do with any other living creature (except maybe a mother with an infant). My dog slept on my bed all night, and when I was home, she was never farther than 4 feet away from me. We hiked in the canyons every day after work, in all kinds of weather. She would go with me to my special "thinking place" up the mountain, while I sorted out the effects of Mormon lies and Mormon abuse. She comforted me when I was sick and in pain. She was my companion, day and night, always there for me, with a smile and a wag. She would actually smile! The neighbor kids called her "The Smile Dog." When the children went away to college, and got married, and had homes of their own, the old dog remained home with me. She lived a normal Lab life-span, and after her last walk, at sunset, and after going back up the trail one more time to sniff her favorite tree, she told me it was time for her to go. Everything about her was beautiful. I was so heartbroken, I never got another dog.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 08:14PM

That is a sweet love story.

Glad you had the foresight to go back and wait. Who would've guessed the other person was going to come back with that puppy, but you? That's amazing.

Date: October 31, 2017 08:21PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2017 08:29PM by cl2.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 11:50AM

My condolences. We have a 9 y.o, black lab and I know that all too soon I'm going to face the same thing. I'm tearing up here just thinking of it.

Dogs are beautiful innocent animals that give an endless supply of very pure and potent acceptance and affection, while asking for very little in return. Warm living breathing teddy bears. Humanity's love of dogs gives me hope for humanity's progress. I saw a bumper sticker once that said "Wag more. Bark less."

Dogs are the reason that, even as an unbeliever, I really wish there was a heaven, just to reward them.

Here's to your good old dog.

Date: October 31, 2017 02:25PM

ptbarnum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Dogs are the reason that, even as an unbeliever, I
> really wish there was a heaven, just to reward
> them.
>
> Here's to your good old dog.

Here, here. Well said.

Posted by: Anonagain ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 02:33PM

I am so incredibly sorry you had to put your dog down. That is a pain I remember well as we had to do the same around this time of year. The emptiness in our house was devastating.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 03:34PM

I'm so sorry. I've gone through it 4 times, and it is hard. I hope you are comforted by your memories.

Other Susan

Posted by: namarod ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 04:51PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard losing a beloved pet. My 13 year old cock-a-poo passed away a month ago. I took it pretty hard. He was my little buddy. He loved going on rides with me, playing fetch, and just being a great dog. Other than the dog I grew up with, I think he's been my best dog. I get choked up just typing this. Hang in there. You have wonderful memories to cherish and he'll always be a part of your heart. If there is a Heaven, it won't be a Heaven without my dearly departed pets!

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 07:47PM

So sorry for your loss. Sending biggest hugs

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 08:11PM

My 13 year old pup had to go in for surgery this morning to have tooth extractions.

He's not a happy camper tonight. Can't give him any pain medicine before tomorrow though per doctor's orders.

I may renege though if he keeps whining.

Poor baby.

Sorry about your dog. I'll miss mine when it's his time to go.

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:02PM

I know this feeling all too well. Pets know more than humans. Blessings and prayers upon both of you.

Date: November 02, 2017 02:21PM

Wow! Love you all for showing your great support.

Three days have now passed and all that is left is all the daily situations that instantly reminds me of my dog and her habits. The whole family planned many things in our life around her habits so it feels a bit empty in our hearts every morning we step out of our beds and notice that she is not there with us anymore.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 02:58PM

Hugs and sincere condolences.

I debated for several weeks whether or not to have our beloved black lab go to the "Rainbow Bridge" but didn't admit to myself at that time that I was being selfish. Reading the quote that Crisping Pin wrote, above, was comforting to me even now, more than a decade later. You may wish to read it again and I hope that it 'speaks' to you in the same way it does me :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2017 03:02PM by cinda.

Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 05:38PM

Awww I'm SO sorry!!!! :( there really are no words I lost one of my best friends my sweet American Eskimo four and a half years ago we put her down on Easter three words WORST EASTER EVER!!!!!!!! :( I'm so sorry! Anyways here's a virtual hug!!!!!

Posted by: stellam ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 05:53PM

It is never easy. We lost our little Bichon in January. It’s still incredibly painful.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 06:41PM

Our final duty to our loved dog.

And yes it hurts

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 07:34PM

So sorry. Heart breaking.

HH =I

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 05:03PM

I just one of our beloved dogs yesterday My heart feels for you.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2040701

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 10:46AM

For there is no more faithful family member than an old dog
Who could never betray you love but only by death would they ere part, your dog would never willingly go far from your side

That's love. I feel for you .

Posted by: itzbeen20 ( )
Date: November 13, 2017 09:04PM

Very sad. You were fortunate to find each other.
May there be another bright, hopeful bundle for you. In time. Always there.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 10:13PM

Had to put our chihuahua down today.

He had been sprayed several times by skunks, but that was two months ago.

He began having extreme pain--we couldn't tell where--it seemed all over him.

Took him to the vet who said he had some stomach distress, gave him a shot and antibiotics.

That helped for a day.

But, this week, he began screaming. Vet was on vacation.

Took him to Animal Control, had him put down today--probably waited too long.

Wonder if the skunk spraying had some long-range effect.

Broken hearted.

We've had lots of heart break this year.

Date: November 18, 2017 12:18AM

Oh, Kathleen...I am so sorry...

I hurt for you...and I am glad your chihuahua is no longer in pain.

:(

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 18, 2017 02:09AM

Thank you, Tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.