Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:31PM

We have Bible thumping doomsday sayers, climate change doomsday sayers, and other kinds of doomsdayers.
I'm at an age that I just don't give a rats arse what they say.
But to stay current I like to check out these websites.

Check out the earthquake site, there are dozens of them all over the world daily. Only big ones cause any big trouble.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

I like to watch the ones in my little neck of the woods especially because I live on or near a big old fault:
http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/

Nobody knows when a volcano or earthquake will hit. Just sit back and enjoy life as there is nothing anyone can do about it.
http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/erupting_volcanoes.html

I was captivated by a video in a museum on the Ring of Fire:
http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/infopage/ringfire.htm

Think anything you want. Thinking has no power over the earth.
4.54 billion years -- calculated age of the earth... I'm not concerned about anything. So far, it has survived everything imaginable. I doubt people can do much. Little like spitting in the ocean.

I figure I'll be long gone before any calamity and miss all the fun. I'll stick to my faith! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 05:31PM by SusieQ#1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:35PM

Yep. My scattered ashes won't care one bit what happens.

Now, if ol' mother earth decides to get frisky while I yet live, I might suffer some consequences, if I cannot avoid them!

No use worrying, though. She'll do what she'll do when and how she decides to do it.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:52PM

“We have Bible thumping doomsday sayers, climate change doomsday sayers,”

I love you to pieces SusieQ, you know that. But please don’t equate purveyors of biblical prophecy with climate change scientists. That’s kind of unfair. There is a lot of science behind climate disruption and human influence. Not so much for the bible stuff. You really don’t think they are one and the same do you?

“I doubt people can do much. Little like spitting in the ocean.”

Volcano’s? I agree. Climate change? I don’t. If the coal lobby and other energy interests quit blocking technology like thermal energy, available anywhere you decide to drill 2 miles down, we could retrofit every coal fired electricity plant very cheaply, and do a lot of good. When we equate climate change science to bible prophecy, it’s no wonder no one will act. Climate disruption is not a myth, and there are options available to mitigate its effects.

That’s my take on it. Read ‘Waking the Frog”, if you are interested, it’s a good book on the subject of climate change denial. I have young kids with a life ahead of them, they care enough to advocate for change.

Date: January 26, 2015 06:30PM

My point was about worrying about the end of the world as we know it making several points.
On another note: there are naysayers, whatever their base, there are many different kinds. All very different.
I advocate for change that produces cleaner air. Who wouldn't? Because I want cleaner air, that's partially why I live within 10 miles of the ocean or less for as long as I have.
What I have seen done re: fixing climate change equates to spitting in the ocean.
Those were my points.

Date: January 26, 2015 06:33PM

Ok SusieQ, I see where you are coming from. We can be friends again.
(Just teasing, I never stopped being your friend ...you are awesome!) ;)~

Date: January 26, 2015 06:36PM

torturednevermo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok SusieQ, I see where you are coming from. We can
> be friends again.
> (Just teasing, I never stopped being your friend
> ...you are awesome!) ;)~

OK..good.. ! I need all the friends I can get! :-) I thought a little explanation of my intent might help!

It was a take off of a thread that closed earlier. I forget which one.:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 06:36PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: January 26, 2015 06:44PM

This one:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1496916

I fear I caused it's closure. :-(

My bad.

Date: January 26, 2015 06:58PM

moose
ahh,,yes, that was it! (Too bad we have name callers throwing a fit.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 06:58PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: January 26, 2015 07:10PM

I deserved the names. I vented - angrily. It was perceived as an attack. I understand. I apologized. It's done. The subsequent thread was rightly deleted.

I pulled up my big boy pants. Lesson learned. Moving on.

But it was an interesting thread!

Date: January 26, 2015 07:05PM

Then there are the Doomsday Preppers! Nat Geo did a program on this movement.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 07:10PM

I have 340 packs of Kirtland brand "cushy" toilet paper buried on a small farm in Mira Loma.

When the time comes, I will sell them for three times their weight in gold or ammunition.

And STILL remain down to earth!

Date: January 26, 2015 07:16PM

elderolddog

HAHA! Probably my only fear is....running out of T paper!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 09:16PM

Now THAT would truly be a bummer, wouldn't it? Sorry...couldn't help it...my bad!lol

RB

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 08:20PM

I remember as a kid in the 80's growing up on the Wasatch fault the whole hooplaw about the big one. It was suppose to happen before the year 2000. The Earth Quake was suppose to be massive, topple all the old buildings we were in, cave in all the roofs. And our little desks were going to save us.

Actually a lot of big things in Mormon Utah were suppose to happen before the year 2000.
1) the russians were going to nuke the hill, everyone would die because the government wasn't going to tell us before hand.
2) the end of the world was suppose to happen because it was the "saturday evening of time."
3) We were suppose to run completely out of oil and be running on electric cars by 2000

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 08:20PM

It is proposed that in about 1 million years the sun will burn out and the earth will become a ball of ice.

All living organisms will be frozen to death.

Isn't that terrifying?

Except that I don't plan on living that long and so it will have no effect on me.

My point is this:

Why worry about something that you can neither prevent nor control. I would rather occupy my time finding a way to live in peace with my fellow man.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 09:11PM

We've already got Fukushima multiple meltdowns that very few of our board readers here know anything about. This problem is actually getting worse over time. It is WAY bigger than Chernobyl. It is killing people and ecosystems NOW!

And the storage facility for nuclear waste at Carlsbad NM is collapsing now too. Plants and storage sites are decaying and failing sooner than promised (hint: they ALL leak), more and more every day. Ukraine has the biggest plant in Europe, and it recently had a catastrophic release. But GE and Westinghouse just keep selling these turkeys around the world, with taxpayer help. Hey, they are the only solution to "global warming" and "climate change", doncha know.

But if you don't know anything about it, you have nothing to fear, right?

Date: January 26, 2015 09:56PM

"Hey, they are the only solution to "global warming" and "climate change", doncha know."

Ya, they just have the money to battle down others.

Thermal energy. Drill 2 miles down anywhere on earth and you get enough heat to boil water, making steam to run turbines. But, the players of today don't want to hand over control of the $$$ to someone else. This is what needs to change for humanity to evolve. How many yahts do each of these guys need anyway?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.