Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 01:11PM

My boyfriend, who is into conspiracy theories, keeps telling me every few months about new developments in the Yellowstone super volcano, and how it's going to blow soon (ish).
My mom, on the other hand, says Yellowstone has had quite a bit of seismic activity for about ten years, and that Old Faithful stopped because of the drought, not because the volcano is going to blow us all to bits, but that she doesn't doubt it will blow someday (because that's what volcanoes do).
Thoughts?
Just curious what everyone else has to say about the matter. I don't really have an opinion (I mean, if it blows it blows. Not much I can do about it lol).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 01:21PM

Keep it on the back burner. Its a slumbering valcano and interesting to watch it snore and gets really interesting when something changes around it. No I dont think the stampedes are not normal. Its their migration. As all things watch the locals and how they react, the multi generational ones that have lived there a long time.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 01:26PM

I think geologically speaking the locals haven't been around the volcano any longer than anyone else, right?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 01:30PM

Start worrying about it in another 50,000 years.

Until then, business as usual.

Climate change is something to be more concerned about. Keep in mind that we are only a couple of global crop failures away from the end of the human race.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 01:54PM

End of human civilization as we know it, yes.

End of humanity? No.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 01:40PM

Another couple earthquakes like the one in Japan back in 2011 could make some things happen. That one caused a tiny change in the earth's tilt and if that tilt was altered enough, another ice age might occur.

RB

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:14PM

It’s interesting to note that with all the previous extinctions, it wasn’t the trigger event that killed everything; it was more the reduction in biodiversity that the event caused that resulted in the extinction. Mankind has done just as much in his short time here to eradicate biodiversity as any of the previous extinction triggers that have come before. We are a pretty short sighted and foolish creature.

I like what a friend of mine once said about it: "All these people are worried about the poor planet. Ha, the planet will be just fine. She’ll just give a little shudder one day and shake us all right off. No, the planets doing just fine, always has and always will, for some time to come. It’s the people who are the ones in trouble, not the planet."

After he said that, I just clinked his drink with mine, and continued to stare out across the river rolling on by. Silly humans. Maybe we’ll get our act together. Maybe.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:29PM

A thousand years after we're gone, it will be hard to tell that we were ever here. Those who push for more industrial development are just "hastening the work."

Date: January 26, 2015 02:58PM

Really, while noble, planting a tree or introducing a fox pup back into the wild is pointless if you don’t fix the root of the problem, the source. We need to fix mankind first; the other adjustments will follow.

MarkJ said:
>> A thousand years after we're gone, it will be hard to tell that we were ever here. <<

In the book “The Sixth Extinction”, it was notable that some of the geologists in the book thought:

“A hundred million years from now, all that we consider to be the great works of man – the sculptures and the libraries, the monuments and the museums, the cities and the factories – will be compressed into a layer of sediment not much thicker than a cigarette paper. “

Most geological sedimentary layers are much thicker than this, much.

And with me paraphrasing now, they noted that within this paper thin layer would be the most bizarre concentration of nearly all the earth’s supply of many chemicals and metals all dug up and re-deposited into this one sediment layer. The rat like creature wearing a coat and examining the findings would astonishingly remark, “What the hell happened here?”

It may be too late already, or it may not be, but people need to change with some sort of leap in consciousness and refocusing of their priorities. There is always hope.

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:47PM

> A thousand years after we're gone, it will be hard to tell that we were ever here.
But our nuclear waste will still be (t)here - sort of 'radiant greetings from the past'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQW8Pj5yU6U
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albtraum_Atomm%C3%BCll

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:42PM

Maybe you should worry more about your boyfriend's critical thinking skills and less about volcanoes.

People who live in fear and get agitated by emotional issues tend to narrow their focus and block out facts. It leaves them vulnerable to crazy stuff like Mormonism.

Seriously, we all really have to use logic to decide which of the endless threats are meaningful enough to act on. Judgment is a critical factor for a human.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:02PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:44PM

The only ghawd to fear is the exterminator ghawd, the one who looks out for order and decency in the Universe.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:48PM

Yellowstone is a caldera AKA huge volcano.

If is blows it could be and ELE (Extinction level event).

It doesn't have to do it on my behalf.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:53PM

Just go here if you're worried.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/yvo/

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:31PM

If you are into this kind of stuff, this is a great read.

Many different pages with info on them.

I think I need to be much more worried about getting into a fatal car accident than Yellowstone killing the entire planet.

Not that I ever gave either of these things much thought in the first place.

Anyway, thanks for the link!

Date: January 26, 2015 05:11PM

You're welcome!
Thanks for taking the time to read.

*snort*

;^)

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 02:59PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 03:01PM by steve benson.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:09PM

Paranoia strikes deep...

That's utter s#!!% talk about Old Faithful stopping... Sucks to be a shinola shipper in the Internet Age when conscientious sorts are willing to call B.S. and back it up with facts.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message969206/pg1

>Webcam feed shows it just erupted, right on time...

That report is only a few days old.

And another geyser near OF has erupted after being dormant for a time.

http://www.livescience.com/42992-yellowstone-giantess-geyser-erupts.html

>Giantess Geyser is nearby the more famous Old Faithful, but it is far less regular.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 03:11PM

Don't worry, they are building 3 arcs in Tibet for all the elite to be saved (2012 movie)

Date: January 26, 2015 03:46PM

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/yvo/

From the site:

Yellowstone Monthly Update
Thursday, January 01, 2015 8:21 AM
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

Even though this status is from Jan 01, no worries!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:06PM

Every cloud has a silver lining. Maybe it would wipe out SLC.

Date: January 26, 2015 04:11PM

It probably would bury it in ash. As well as most of Wyoming, Colorado...

You get the idea.

I think there is a map of what would happen on the site I've mentioned (twice) here.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:20PM

A Yellowstone caldera eruption would be a minor affair compared to all the 3rd Nephi depradations.

Just look how quickly those civiliztions bounced back after Jeebus's temper tantrum.

Don't worry be happy.

Date: January 26, 2015 04:31PM

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:50PM

very good comparison - LOL

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 04:51PM

So who's the father of all bad words?

Let's all chill. So far, no trigger happy moose hunters in sight here.

Don't worry be happy.

Date: January 26, 2015 04:54PM

Hehehehehe, good point! I don't know!

Anyway, Shummy, see my response down below. I'm not that ticked off, but some things are a trigger for my ire. Laziness (perceived or real) is one such trigger.

I'll be a good moose now.

;^)

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:00PM

He started it Shummy.

Date: January 26, 2015 05:05PM

apparently created an explosion. Maybe I should add a FAQ showing the ash dispersal pattern...

My apologies to the forum for this brouhaha!

Date: January 26, 2015 05:10PM

No worries moose. It was like getting a little simulation of a super volcano event.

In comparison to the scale of the 4.6 billion year evolution of the planet, what happened just now was a pretty minor event. :)

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:10PM

Well first you exploded idiot. I should be a profit because I am a better predictor than Tommy. What don't you just shut the fuc up..seriously? I predict you won't. Yeah you're right..act like an as*hole..unwarranted insults...unprovoke attacks..they do cause eruptions genius.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.