Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 12:29AM

For that matter, do mission presidents and stake presidents have to sit through the same recurring worthiness interviews as the hoi poloi ?

Is there a level where one receives a lifetime recommended?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 12:36AM

What Bishop their right mind would deny a temple recommend to a MP, or to a GA? If tbe Bishop tried to deny a TR to one of the annointed, he would be in front of the Love Court.

Posted by: Tom Phillips ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 07:18AM

GAs temple recommends lasted for 5 years when I was active (over 10 years ago). Maybe that has changed and it is now longer. Big 15 recommends probably never expire.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 07:26AM

If they needed interviews, I would be love to do it and deny them on the basis they lie.

Date: January 26, 2015 07:32AM

That is right. None of them would qualify if I were their bishop or sp.

Are they " honest in their dealings with others"? No, no, no

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 09:02PM

Hehehe...

I bet they haven't paid those pesky tithes either.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 01:32PM

Tom, do non-GAs who get their 2nd annointing still have to get a recommend each year? Does you bishop and SP know if you've had the annointing?

Date: February 09, 2015 10:33AM

NormaRae,

They still need to renew their recommends but their bishop and sp are not informed of their second anointing (it is secret).

Interestingly, after I realised the truth about the church and let my recommend expire by not seeking to renew it, a GA encouraged me to go to the temple. When I said I did not have a recommend because I now knew the church was not true, he didn't seem to see any problem in me gaining entrance to the temple. I did not enquire how that was to happen as there was no way I would allow myself ever to go in again.

Tom

Date: February 09, 2015 02:29PM

Thanks for clarifying that, Tom. It's kind of funny to think of a bishop interviewing someone for a temple recommend who's had his calling and election made sure. Wouldn't the recommend seeker just be sitting there rolling his eyes thinking, "If you only knew... no, I'm not honest in my dealings with my fellow man, but then I'll just lie because it really doesn't freakin matter. I'm goin ta heaven anyhows."

Posted by: MissingDNA ( )
Date: February 11, 2015 11:32PM

Just to back up what has been said about Non-expiring recommends, the internals of MLS, the software that each ward or branch uses to manage membership records has the concept of a "NonExpiringRecommend". For computer geeks see below:

DBTempleRecommend dbtemplerecommend;
dbmember.setTempleRecExpDate(individualinfo.templeRecExprDate);
dbmember.setNonExpiringRecommend(getDBYesNoValue(individualinfo.nonExpiringRecommend));
if(dbmember.hasNonExpiringRecommend())
dbmember.setTempleRecExpDate("00000000");

One other interesting observation from the internals is that the system is explicitly designed for polygamous relationships:

public List spouses;

Date: February 12, 2015 05:01AM

Yep. Crazy isn't it.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 08:52AM

I doubt their bishop interviews them. They probably get a recommend from a higher up, or from each other.

I got my temple recommend from my MP, so if he can give one, I'm sure an apostle can.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 09:06AM

I know only one GA well enough (and he is emeritus) to ask this question. The recommend is good for life. I don't know if that is because he is emeritus, or because he received his 2nd anointing. Or just because he is/was a GA. I will ask him next time I see him.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 03:46PM

Will next time be within the next 3 months?

Posted by: Ldsnomo ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 03:40AM

Being a family friend of Eyring, I can tell you he has recommend interviews. Although I'm pretty sure it's not too often.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 03:55AM

Hey Shumms,
Do you think the GAs have to purchase their Gs or are they included in the GA buy-out package? The Boner.

Date: January 27, 2015 06:27PM

byuboner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Shumms,
> Do you think the GAs have to purchase their Gs or
> are they included in the GA buy-out package? The
> Boner.

Well if you're real speshul and get the third anointing, the sacred marks are tatooed onto the appropriate spot thereby freeing the anointee from ever having to wear Gs again.

Gs are for serfs.

The emperor is buck nekkid.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 12:32AM

Holy crap you crack me up Shummy!

;o)

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 03:55PM

Are the GAs required to have temple recommends?

Perhaps the better question is, "Why would the so called Mormon Prophet,
Apostles and Seventies be required to have a worthiness interview
and/or need a temple recommend if they've already received their "Second Anointing?"

Afterall, if a stake president, anointedone, can got his "Second Anointing"
I suspect most, if not all, the GAs have gotten theirs.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 04:15PM

Question (posted 11 September 2008):

"I was once laughed at in an Institute lesson when I asked about the Prophet having a temple recommend interview. I was fairly new in the Church at the time. So, many many years later, my question is, at what point in Church leadership does the temple recommend interview stop and what do GA's carry to show proof of who they are when entering a temple? I know you won't laugh at me here, just give me a simple answer. Thank you!"
____

Some of the responses:

--"I recall Elder Paul H. Dunn telling a joke about presenting his special G.A. temple recommend at the Salt Lake temple. Apparently it was a permanent plastic thing with 'Authorized To Perform All Ordinances' on it. The inexperienced temple worker told him the temple didn't take credit cards."
_____

--"I also recall that Paul H Dunn story too. I met Paul H Dunn once, I was so excited about it!"
_____

--"Since they are Church members, I have to think their needs would be the same as everyone else's. If an apostle showed up & discovered he had forgotten his recommend, I hope temple workers would not be either so star-struck or so intimidated that they would just wave him in. And if a temple worker did that, I hope the apostle would gently admonish him about his duty. Does the President of the Church go to his own bishop for his interview? And do his HTs ask him if he is doing his HT, keeping his TR current, & doing his best to attend & participate in his Church meetings & callings? (Smile) Also, since bishops are first in the hierarchy, who interviews them? I'm guessing their counselors, but am not sure. Also, since bishops are first in the hierarchy, who interviews them? I'm guessing their counselors, but am not sure That at least I know the answer to. The bishop interviews himself and signs the recommend twice, once as the member and once as the bishop. No, really. I know of bishops who have been called into stake presidencies, who were not replaced at once as bishops (it takes time), and who signed all three lines. I suspect it's discouraged but the recommend is still valid."
_____

--"Does the President of the Church go to his own bishop for his interview? I don't know about the prophet specifically. DH's coworker used to be President Monson's bishop when he was an apostle. I just had Rex ask him if President Monson came to him for temple recommend interviews. He said no, but he did come in for tithing settlement. He didn't know if there was anyone else who signs for and interviews President Monson. He said, for his own recommend, that his counselor would interview him and sign on the line where the bishop is supposed to sign. (This was about 7-8 years ago?) Then he said, 'What you should ask is about mission presidents.' When he was a mission president he signed all three lines on his recommend because there was no one else to sign there."
_____

--"He didn't know if there was anyone else who signs for and interviews President Monson. Maybe Jesus? (Don't Know)."
_____

--"General Authorities have recommends issued for the rest of their life, signed by the First Presidency. The ones I saw were gold. I don't know if they get a new one when the Prophet dies."
_____

--"I've always understood that there were three witnesses who sign our recommends: the bishop, stake president (or their counselors), & ourselves, plus the unseen witnesses--the members of the Godhead. So I guess in those cases, the divine witnesses override any need for additional human witnesses."
_____

--"Add me to the I don't know list. But the idea about a special line about authorized to do all ordinances makes sense. At some point, they must be interviewed like all others- not to be repeating negative things, but there was the GA who was excommunicated. So, that shows they do review people,etc. About ht: after Pres Hinckley died, I recall reading something that talked about how his HT once arrived at his home (during a dinner I think) and interviewed him to find out how he was doing in his family prayer,etc. In another example, I THINK about Pres Hinckley as well, the ht stated Pres Hinckley had written the message but Pres HInckley wanted to know what the ht thought about it,etc. (don't recall if this was the same HT)"
_____

--"I want to see the signature on his [Monson's] recommend."
_____

--"GAs still have tithing settlement with the Bishop of their geographical ward. I assume that they also have TR interviews with their geographical Bishop and Stake President."
_____

--"When they are called, General Authorities and their wives are issued a temple recommend signed by the First Presidency. It's laminated and has no expiration unless there's a new First Presidency or they are released as a GA. While serving as General Authorities they don't go to their bishops or stake presidents for TR interviews."
_____

--"Huh. Learn something new every day. I thought it was just the case for the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve, not all General Authorities. And I thought they never expired, even if there was a change in the First Presidency. So, when President Hinckley passed away, did all the General Authorities Temple recommends expire? If so, did the Twelve (actually 14) need to be issued new ones before they could go to the temple to meet to set apart a new First Presidency? What about the General Authorities stationed in far away lands. Do they all have to come back to Salt Lake to get new recommends? That doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully none of them had a wedding they had to officiate at or attend the days following President Hinckley's death. That could be embarrassing. Interesting."
_____

--"I imagine there's a grace period after the First Presidency changes for the new recommends. Maybe they're good for six months, to allow the First Presidency time to interview all the Authorities. I would imagine that interviewing all the new Authorities would be a wonderful (if somewhat burdensome) opportunity."
_____

--"The old ones remained valid until the GA received the new one. Those away from SLC get them by mail. And they have the bar code like us commoners."

("Another Temple Recommend Question," at: http://www.nauvoo.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi)

This observation about GAs receiving temple recommends, as related by a former Mormon bishop who resigned from the Church Education System as a release-time seminary teacher and who plans to eventually leave the LDS Church:

"[My bishop] concluded this segment of [my and my wife's temple recommend] grilling with 'I cannot renew your temple recommend because worthiness requires that you attend YOUR OWN HOME WARD.' I had just been released as a bishop a year-and-a-half earlier. I remembered nothing in the Handbook suggesting that that aspect of meeting attendance should be given the disproportionate emphasis he had just given it. By that standard, worthy members who travel a lot with their jobs or even General Authorities would not qualify for a temple recommend. He seemed bent on convicting us. I was taken back. It was a little surreal."

("SHOOTING THE MESSENGER," by Ken Clark, at: http://www.exmormon.org/whylft149.htm)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 04:36PM by steve benson.

Date: February 03, 2015 08:53PM

Well that last item is a no-brainer Steve.

Only a member's home ward would have the best access all the latest ward gossip which is of course pruriently passed along though the properly presiding priesthood channels in order to more accurately assess the accused's er uh applicant's state of worthiness.

Simple.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 08:59PM

I'm pretty sure Tommy and his friends don't flash their membership card when they go to the temple.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 09:30PM

It is my understanding that even the Pope has his own (personal) confessor.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 06:21AM

I seem to recall a story (myth) going round many years ago that Pres Kimball went to a temple somewhere but had forgotten his recommend, and the person on the reception desk had to ring his bishop to check he was a TR holder........yeah, as if....

Date: February 04, 2015 06:18PM

Well the 2nd anointing thing raises another question.

Excommunication of the anoited:

***Richard Roswell Lyman (November 23, 1870 – December 31, 1963) was an apostle in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1918 to 1943. He was excommunicated in 1943 for adultery, a result of a polygamous relationship. In 1954, Lyman was rebaptized. His full priesthood blessings were restored posthumously in 1970.[1] Lyman is the most recent LDS Church apostle to have been excommunicated.

Wouldn't ya think Richard had been 2nd dabbed with 25 years as a 12?

A nuther Mormonundrum, that.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 12:47AM

Keeerist Shum!! There you go again. Yer killing me!

You are either especially funny tonight or I am just loopy from lack of sleep.

I hang out at RfM for the comedy. So you are now my official laff-a-day poster since Makaruso left a few months ago. No pressure or anything ...

;o)

Date: February 12, 2015 10:31AM

"Mormondrum," LOVE IT.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 11:25PM

Dallin Oaks said that one of the best ways to gain a testimony is to bear it. That's right, just lie about it. God hates liars. No TR for Dallin. Sick stuff going on at the cojcolds cult.

Date: February 11, 2015 12:19PM

Tom, did you happen to see this and would you care to comment?

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1511742

Date: February 12, 2015 02:47PM

Make that morondrum.

So hard to beat.

Life ain't easy in mormondumb.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.