Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 06:34PM

Here is North Seattle, went to DI and checked out the book section. Found 3 books that are worth some money, but I paid only 75 cents each for them!

1) "Holy Scriptures". Joseph's inspired version of the Bible, published by Herald publishers of the Reorganized Church, now called the Community of Christ.

2) "Book of Mormon" a photo reprint of the 1830 original edition.

3) "Mormon Doctrine" by McConkie.

The clerk who was working there told me that in the past 6 months they have been getting much more book contributions than before; he speculates quite a few families are leaving the church and getting rid of their books.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: today's anon ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 07:03PM

You can see evidence of people's shelves breaking when the shelves of the thrift stores have tons of LDS books.

Posted by: Oregonboy ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 07:06PM

Cool, I have attend many locker auctions, they are a blast..and yes...very much like the TV show. Are you able to make some good money shopping at DI and others?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 07:55PM

Wow, I think that all three of your books are now on a Morg Do Not Read List!

Date: December 17, 2014 08:14PM

Hi Mr. Boner,

Yeah, my friend collects LDS books and will pay me good money for certain ones. He told me to get ALL the copies of "Miracle of Forgiveness" by Kimball, that I can find, and he will pay me $5 each. They only cost .75 or $1 at DI. Also he wants me to buy all the Triple Combinations I can find, all the books by Talmadge, and of course any rare or valuable books.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 09:50PM

What's with the Mr.? lOL I'm just The Boner!

Anyhow, I'd give you my copy of MoF...that book caused me lots of grief (as you can probably figure out from my screen name). Unfortunately, I trashed all my LDS books including some classics--JF Smith's Answers to Gospel Questions (several volumes) Dyer's Who Am I, Mormonism and Masonry, and my triple combo.

They'd be big hits with the EXMO crowd! For better or worse, I dumped the books in a dumpster correctly reasoning that if I donated them to DI my TBM would buy them back. Fortunately, when she went to DI they told her all church books go as soon as they get in!

Very best wishes, we can call you the Mormon bookman!

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 10:13PM

Are the triple combos worth something? I still have mine. Wife gave it to me back in 1966.

Posted by: Man At Work ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 02:24PM

The old triples weren't "sanitized" like the new edition.

Posted by: Man At Work ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 02:27PM

BoM copies at DI are now free.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 23, 2014 01:04PM

just kind of commands respect. It sort of makes one want to stand erect and offer a salute. :)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 08:18PM

Isn't it funny that you can tell the ship is sinking by the fire sale of their sacred spritual literature at the thrift sale--

Buy TWO Miracles of Forgiveness and get a Book of Mormon for FREE!

Wouldn't it be nice if all those new apostates put their untestimony inside each book they donate?

Kathleen waters

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 08:33PM

ohh, never thot of doing that! I just tore all books i didnt' want up and threw them in recycle.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 08:21PM

Some of these books could be coming from the "purging" of meeting house libraries, as talked about in a couple of past threads. I also wouldn't be surprised if the most devout started removing from their homes anything printed prior to 10 years ago:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1413299

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1416079,1416079#msg-1416079

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 08:23PM

That first edition Book of Mormon is a hoot. Everyone should take a look at it. Copies are cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 08:25PM by donbagley.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 11:28AM

Grammatically speaking.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:55AM

I couldn't get past first Nephi without having the 1830 version because it is in paragraph form and easier to read. I only read the BoM ONCE and that was after twenty years of membership because it is so poorly written. I could not be paid enough to read it again.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 17, 2014 08:35PM

I regularly shop the DI in Layton and Centerville.

I notice there are often collections or series that I assume come from estates of recently deceased or maybe someone moved into a retirement home.

Recently they had a series of the old hard bound priesthood manuals from the 40s through the 60s.

I was also able to get the 5 volume "from the best of books" series that was used in the relief society.

I recently aquired a set of hard bound Robert A. Heinlein hard bound books, many were first edition.

Paperbacks are still less than a dollar so I have amassed quite a reading library.

The one thing I haven't seen in a long time is glass or acrylic grapes!

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 02:52AM

So you're one of those people who gets in my way when I browse the Centerville bookshelves, AND you're stealing my SF? Gee, thanks.

Date: December 17, 2014 08:40PM

As I was saying, my friend collects LDS books. He teaches classes about Mormonism, and then gives away hundreds and hundreds of books, and tells where to find all the "gottcha" stuff.

Now he is asking me to visit as many DI's as I can, and buy up all the volumes he is interested in. Once in awhile, you can find a real RINGER, a very valuable book such as a first edition of "Mormon Doctrine".

1978 versions of "Gospel Principles" are worth keeping, to show how the Correllation Committee has changed the wording in the last part of Chapter 47, and eliminated the last paragraph altogether! (it was very embarrassing to them)

The 1972 version of the Family Home Evening manual is valuable also. And any BOM's printed prior to 1980 are good to keep as well.

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 01:15AM

I have a copy of History of the Church, volume 1, published in 1902. I also have a lot of other books that I am selling. Would you please have your friend contact me if he is interested in this or my other books? I believe you can get my email address from the admins.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 11:35AM

DIs in the mission field are great places to get these books. Their aren't alot of DIs so All the mormons save their donations for when the DI truck come to collect at the ward buildings. The save stuff and only give to DI but aren't really close enough to shop there. My mother worked at one of the stores and she says the majority of customers werent mormon, but all of the donators were.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 01:42PM

The gold edition of BofM is good one to buy if you find it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 18, 2014 04:02PM

D.I. is not always Dead Ind.

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:29AM

The book section is awesome. I've found the coolest old LDS and misc. books there.

In SLC DI and Catholic Community Services work together to get refugees some basic job and English speaking skills, housing, clothing, food, etc...As far as I can tell, the refugees aren't solicited. At least they never seem to become Mormons. It seems like a legit attempt to help them get on their feet.

If the church stopped doing frivolous things with tithing funds and dumped an extra billion a year into expanding the DI programs worldwide, or at least nationwide, that would really be something.

Posted by: rid ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 11:32AM

I'd prefer other thrift stores myself, like Goodwill, Assistance League, Salvation Army, etc.

Posted by: helptheanimals ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 07:56AM

I prefer the SPCA's thrift store! Helping out our furry friends with more logic, reasoning skills, and a higher IQ than TBMs.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:40PM

I like some other thrift stores slightly better, but it's included in my survival manual for the finanically challenged.

As the immortal Edward Abbey once said of Mormonism, "Nothing that ridiculous could be all bad."

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: December 20, 2014 12:51PM

I love a good thrift store perusal.

But the DeeEye blows.

IMHO they are WAY overpriced and the stuff is just this side of trash.

Find little "grandma" boutique style thrift stores. That's where the good stuff is.

You have to think about "who is donating to this place". DeeEye gets a lot of mormons who own cheap, plasticy crap to begin with.

The Children's Hospital gets little old ladies stuff, vintage cruise sequin blouses etc, but they also get her stuff when she kicks it, so the antiques can get terrific.

The Lifelong Aids Alliance get gay guys donating, so you get Prada jeans waist size 30, not for me, but there are fat gay guys too (like me) and while I can't pull off Prada, Hugo Boss and Gucci thrift store finds litter my place.

I just can't imagine a "mormon second hand store" would often have anything more valuable than some resin grapes.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 02:20AM

I find just the WEIRDEST bad taste music on vinyl in the DI. There was a Twilight Zone local market for local singers making "pop" albums in the early '70s who had no vocal talent, just a hankerin' to sing Barry Manilow songs very, very badly, also patriotic songs. Backing was usually some awful piano work or an early synth.

Posted by: Witness_to_the_Shameless ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 02:29PM

The Baytown Goodwill Thrift (near Houston); has dozens of LDS dvds and books. The Missionaries hang out there and get down on their luck people in need of a handout.

Posted by: jesuslovesfutbol ( )
Date: December 21, 2014 07:02PM

I've pitched out some of my momo books but have since come 180 degrees on it. I think it is smart to keep them. The more time passes, the more astonishing it is to read the older books and see how the church systematically removes embarrassing things.

Posted by: GNPE 1 ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 02:57AM

Shoreline ("north Seattle") DI
has an advantage of no close Goodwill

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 22, 2014 06:19AM

My wife is getting rid of her all text books.

Maybe that clerk should check out a couple of recent innovations. Kindle, Google Books, iPad, etc... ;o))

New technology is one reason why people are selling books or giving them to charity shops.

Posted by: Robert Hall the Utah Photo GOD ( )
Date: December 23, 2014 02:22PM

Hard to believe they want an MBA for those they hire to manage the stores...

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 02:28PM

If you need money, you can sell those on Ebay for lots more than you paid. TBMs (and others) buy books like that.
I know this because I have sold many books on Ebay including books like these.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 24, 2014 02:33PM

Maybe those are coming from local ward libraries? Aren't they doing some sort of purging of older books?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.