Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 05:06PM

. . . so . . . We've Got to Hasten the Whitewashing with a Purge — One that Cometh like a Thief in the Night.

Indulge me for a moment RFM . . . for my white and delightsome soul has got that tingly-feeling, you know the one that says something’s lurking out there, something’s about to come down the pike, or something secretive and unspoken is slithering behind the scene. What the heck am I talking about? And what is it that I think is coming? And why is there zero leaks to-date from the COB?

On October 24, 2014, RFM poster “ULTRA” announced that his ward library is to undergo a cleansing at the local meetinghouse. ULTRA is a ward Sunday school secretary and was privy to this information even though he missed the actual kumbayah-lovey-dovey meeting announcing the purge. Later, he received written instruction of the details. (RFM link: “Information Control in Ward Houses.”) http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1413299

The library purge (as outlined by ULTRA) is summarized as follows:

1. The entire ward library is getting a cleansing (whitewashing) from top to bottom. Tons of stuff WILL BE TOSSED OUT.

2. The only pictures allowed in the library will be church approved as outlined in lesson manuals. Most everything else WILL BE TOSSED OUT.

3. Only material that has ‘Corporation of the President’ will remain. Most everything else WILL BE TOSSED OUT.

4. LDS magazines and materials, etc. older than TEN (10) years WILL BE TOSSED OUT.

5. Books written by prophets/apostles published by Deseret Book or Signature Books WILL BE TOSSED OUT.

6. If a family donates their library of old/unauthorized church books [including old church magazines] to the meetinghouse, librarians are to take them and THROW THEM OUT.

I assert that LDS Inc. is in a sneaky, deliberate, flat-out, apostolic-sanctioned, systematic-whitewashing with MORE YET TO COME. You heard that right. I feel it. I sense it.

Poster ULTRA mentioned that the ward’s elderly Sunday School President was “sure miffed about it too [the cleansing]. He couldn't believe that the library couldn't keep a copy of Mormon Doctrine, since that's where all the 'doctrines of the church' are located.” Personally, I don’t think that is going to stop LDS Inc. from using Mormon Doctrine quotes in lesson manuals, but the hard copy Mormon Doctrine editions will be destroyed due to all the unsavory DISAVOWED DOCTRINE it contains (i.e. blacks and the priesthood, etc., and crazy Bruce R. McConkie stuff).

Here are a few RFM observations made from ULTRA’s original post:

(a) …HELLO said, “This is a blatant book burning.”

(b) …MADALICE said, “The inconvenient truth is getting pitched. Too bad they can't control the world. Sounds like a book burning is in store.”

(c) …1884 said, “Down the memory hole.”

(d) …JIMINYCRICKET said, “The one church that has touted "preserving its history" is now the church that must destroy past evidence and utterances of apostles, prophets, seers and revelators. Anything that can cause disaffection must now be destroyed.”

(e) …BUILDERBOB said, “I studied my way out of TSCC by wading my way through the 7 volume official, History of the Church (1839 - 1856) that I found in my ward library. Even with all the historical revisions and as whitewashed as it is, these books have all sorts of shelf breaking information. It's no wonder they want to get rid of it all.”

(f) …SECULAR PRIEST said, “It seems like the Nazi book burnings. I cannot believe that the top 15 okayed this. If they did they are scum. If they did I cannot believe that not one of them would see something wrong with this.”

(g) …ANON 4 THIS POST said, “PMG [Preach My Gospel] was introduced to the worldwide missionary program Fall 2004.”

(e) …DECO said, “We are watching the implosion.”

(f) …LILLIUM/NLI said, “The thing is, it's much more convincing when you see it in person. When you see an old dusty book or an old Ensign that says dinosaurs were put here from another planet you tend to trust that it's real much more than something anybody could have just typed onto the internet.”

(g) …PRESLEYNFACTSROCK said, “Yep, the bricks are falling mighty fast.”

(h) …and poster OFFRADAR said, “The church is in the advanced stages of damage control, and desperate action to eradicate the recriminating words, statements, pronouncements, etc. of past prophets is currently underway.”

SO WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THIS CLEANSING ?

If the meetinghouse library *purging* is a quiet, official move directed from the tops of LDS Inc. to all of the branch, ward and stake libraries, then this has some extraordinary, serious implications. Consider this statement made by RFM poster, ANON 4 THIS POST:

“Regular poster here – Anon[ymous] to protect my identity****The ward I currently attend (in the Morridor) also received this same instruction. EVERYTHING BEFORE 2004 MUST BE DISCARDED except for Standard Works and all materials with the official Church seal on them. The instruction we received was EVERYTHING PRINTED BEFORE PREACH MY GOSPEL [PMG] IS NO LONGER OF USE. This includes older Ensigns, New Eras, Friends, etc. The deadline we were given is as soon as logistically possible, but NO LATER THAN DEC. 31, 2014.” He also said, “PMG was introduced to the worldwide missionary program Fall 2004.” (Emphasis added)

This pronouncement signals something profound. Something of major significance is in the works. I believe it is part of an undisclosed step by step strategy that is remaining hidden to the TBM masses (including ward librarians, bishops and stake presidents).

Note the urgency in the poster’s words: “as soon as logistically possible, but no later than Dec. 31, 2014.” So what is the rush? Why is LDS Inc. in such a hurry? And the bigger question is: What is LDS Inc. planning to do AFTER December 31, 2014?

Indulge me for another moment. Could the library purge be a precursor to the next secretive whitewashing? The one that Cometh like a Thief in the Night?

I PREDICT . . . that after December 31, 2014, LDS Inc., in an apostolic-sanctioned-move, is going to purge its official *LDS.org website* to match the information in local meetinghouse libraries. But first, it must QUIETLY and QUICKLY purge the hard printed materials in all its meetinghouse locations, and do it before concerned TBMs or the ex-Mormon community tries to save as much as possible.

The reasons:

(1) To make it much harder to find damaging church materials that lead to TBM’s disaffection and subsequent resignation.
(2) To make it harder to find information on LDS.org.
(3) To make it harder to bring in unsavory materials from the meetinghouse library by some rogue classroom instructor or some truly inquiring truth seeker.
(4) To eliminate damning discourses in the Ensign that critics link to. (e.g. Ensign, July 1993, “A Treasured Testament” by Apostle Russell M. Nelson, wherein he admits to Joseph Smith’s rock and hat translation method.) https://www.lds.org/ensign/1993/07/a-treasured-testament?lang=eng

I've got tons more to say, but will leave it at that for the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 02:29AM by jiminycricket.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 05:19PM

This should mark the end of any attempt for new affluent converts.

Any reasonable internet search will show intentional deceptive manipulation that will be impossible to defend.

Since these changes are happening so rapidly, should there not be an announced revelation stating that Jesus told them to do this?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 05:35PM

The ward library here was purged of all those materials years ago. I personally took many of those being tossed but have since gotten rid of them as I didn't want them around. TSCC knows it can gradually rewrite everything it puts on line and overwhelm anyone who tries to overcome the corporation. Soon, most members will have never even heard of the Journal of Discourses. Actually, that is probably already the case but as time goes on it will no longer have "ever existed". History is too often merely copied from easy sources and where lies are told often enough and loud enough, it will be presumed as true by lazy historians who don't seek original documents or understand how people are duped.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 05:46PM

For some reason I am very sad today to have had any association with this belief system. What a tragedy that we were born into this community.

There are worst places to be born without a doubt. Most of us were wanted, welcomed, and loved.

To what end--to serve Mormonism. Without that end, it can at times be very upsetting.

A religion that is purging its libraries. This definitely means something tragic.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 05:52PM

I don't want to be fair, but to be fair how many of us when TBMs would go into a meetinghouse library, look around and ask "why don't they get rid of some of this old junk? Nobody looks at these old lesson manuals anymore."

Meetinghouse libraries are not archives and not really even traditional libraries, the label on the door typically reads "Resource Center" and that's a much more fitting designation.

While it's true that the church is whitewashing its history, I don't think any cleanouts at the local level are related to that, it's about getting rid of old magazines and filmstrips in a DVD era and in a room that doesn't have that much shelf space to begin with.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 05:55PM

I agree that something is afoot, and it ain't good.

If you are correct in your prediction, the 'purge' makes sense. But, can TSCC whitewash the world? Maybe the TBM faithful, but the world?

That's a tall order. Hopefully, the interwebz is strong enough to hold on to the truth.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 05:55PM

No this is not about housekeeping.

This is about the destruction of history that damaged a lot of people for profit.

This is vile, sinister, and evil.

This is also a case where the coverup will be worse than the crime.

Posted by: oppolo ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 05:58PM

When my father passed away 5 months ago, I was looking at some old books on my parents book shelf. I came across the "The Great Apostasy" by James E. Talmage. I grabbed it immediately as my mother was asking me if I wanted any of the books on the shelf. I know it's still in print but it almost looks like an original. It has my dad's name written in it. Elder blah blah blah. Almost like he had it on his mission. He would be 84 years old. I'm going to take a look to see what else I can find.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 06:02PM

The next step is to go house to house in the wards and seize all books that are not on their "perfect whitewashed' list. They can put the bad books under the noses of trained drug sniffing dogs. Then those dogs can be brought in to each house and will sniff out those "faith Ruining" texts and magazines like McConkie etc.
If I were still a TBM, I'd be extremely pissed.
People, hide your CULT books at a non-Mos house or someplace like that.

The Memory Hole is waiting and the CULT is more like the novel 1984 than ever.

I can smell the bonfires already.

They are trying to accomplish a Taliban type control gov't but it won't work because they are in a country that requires search warrants etc. Nobody an force you to burn/ban your books you already have. Hopefully, it will stay this way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 06:09PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 07:13PM

Maybe that will be the next instruction to come down, home teachers asked to look out for faith-challenging books, or old material "we don't teach that anymore".

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 06:05PM

In the late 4th century CE, the various dispersed, arguing sects of fairly early christians got together, under Roman Imperial Decree, and decided by committee what "christianity" was to be. What they decided on, of course, was heavily autocratic, relied on ordained leaders, and tossed out any individuality -- in such ideas as gnosticism.
Once orthodoxy had been declared (which had to include rewriting of a number of "sacred" texts, and the flat-out invention of many others), it was of course of utmost importance to purge the world of any conflicting ideas. Arians and Gnostics in particular suffered, being hunted down, having their books burned, and often suffering death. After which the "orthodox" hierarchy denied for a very long time there had ever even been such a thing as "Gnostics." In fact, if it weren't for a very few who hid gnostic texts away in the hope they could be someday used again, we might never know of their ideas and existence.

Sound familiar?

The Gnostics of the 4th century, though, didn't have the internet.
Oops.

Date: October 27, 2014 06:11PM

Guys, perhaps I should share something else to make my perspective more clear, we purged our library recently while I was in the bishopric.

You know how we disposed of everything? By putting it on a few folding tables in the gym for a couple of weeks with "TAKE ME" signs.

For all your talk of book burning, hunting down, and murders, I'm starting to think we did it wrong.

There's plenty wrong with the church, but getting rid of old materials (that are not one of a kind or rare in any way) is not one of them. Most members have copies at home of half this stuff.

Making a mountain out of these kinds of molehills gives us a bad rep.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 07:20PM

..and include specific instructions to eliminate things not stamped by "Corporation of the President" (aka LDS, Inc)

Did not sound like it said something to the effect of lets get organized and clean-out clutter from our libraries.

Date: October 27, 2014 07:27PM

We had a book a crackpot High Priest had added to the library that laid out how the book of Mormon lands were Baja California, I see that as simply correlation at work, removing resources that are not needed for teaching classes, which is what the resource centre is there to supply.

I'm not trying to declare the merits of correlation, just pointing out that this aligns with it.

The resource centre holds materials used to teach the correlated lesson, these cleanups are in line with that and not some nefarious plot.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 06:29PM

If a letter from SLC is subsequently read from the pulpits encouraging individual members to turn in their old Ensigns and Mormon Doctrines and TPJS, then I will be inclined to agree that something's up.

Mormon Doctrine was an LDS bestseller for over 40 years. No telling how many hard copies are out there. It will be difficult to wipe that one from memory.

Also, many of these old works, including the JoD, are on CD-ROM or digitized, are out of copyright, and are not under SLC's control. Many of the sermons were printed in the Deseret News, which has been digitized and is already in the public domain. The church, I think, can't touch those.

BY tried his level best to have Lucy Mack's bio of JS destroyed, and that attempt failed dismally.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 06:35PM

It may very well be nefarious. But maybe not.

When I was ward librarian, I was handpicked by our stake librarian to go through the library and "clean house". I got rid of boxes of trackfeed computer paper, kept the latest revision date of teaching manuals, culled out self-help books and kept the doctrinal books and bios. And of course anything by Signature went into my personal stash.

I took a look at our library shelves yesterday. A good 90% of the books were up to date in the '60's.

Its a shame to get rid of any book, but at some point you have to clean house.

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 08:02PM

Fast forward in our imaginations from this odd "cleaning house" in ward and stake libraries to, say... 2020 AD.

The TSCC calls in double-dipping CIA Mormons to form a secret new division within Church Security called section 451.

They are called on their mission to respond to informant reports
of pre-2004 mormon lit which may be squirreled away in members' homes.

Here they come in their trucks with Elder Guy Montag dismounting
with his flame-thrower and dousing your old church books and magazines with kerosene and fire.

This elder might later repent... but lots of your books get carbonized.

Sorry, when this sort of fiction by Ray Bradbury begins to become reality... hard to resist the comparison.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 08:29PM

You can bet that Deseret Industries was/will be commanded to also purge.

Date: October 27, 2014 08:33PM

Do they currently keep a bunch of stuff that nobody wants on the shelves?

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 12:49AM

I've seen a TON of old copies of the LDS-printed KJV, BoM, books by/about prophets, etc. at DI lately. Some of it appears to be in great condition. I doubt they're being purged by dead relatives, unless a lot of old Mormons are dying now with inactive family members.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: October 27, 2014 09:22PM

Totalitarian governments have used this technique over and over; think 1930s Germany.

Date: October 27, 2014 09:23PM

And you've triggered Godwin's law, thread over.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 12:54AM

squeebee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And you've triggered Godwin's law, thread over.

Well Godwin didn't mention Stalin, or did he?

The other Joseph works well for a super-secrecy secular cult, wouldn't you say?

Date: October 28, 2014 10:26AM

Seriously people, this kind of conspiracy theory does not help our cause, if someone came in who was questioning and saw this thread they would associate ex-mormons with conspiracy theorists.

If there is a church-wide conspiracy to purge information from the resource centers then it was passed through back-channels. There is no official notice in the last year mentioning anything about cleaning the resource centers out.

When our resource center was cleaned out, it was on the initiative of the newly called Sunday School president, who looked in the library and saw so much old materials that never get touched that he decided it was pointless to store it all. Nothing in the previous thread indicated that this was anything more than an individual leader doing the same thing.

If I'm going to clean out a resource center, I am going to keep those things that are useful according to the purpose of the resource center: providing the A/V materials that support the teaching of the lessons provided in the manuals.

I don't need books on various odd subjects, I don't need a Sunday school manual from the 50's, and I don't need supporting materials for a Sunday school manual from the 50's.

This isn't a dark conspiracy, this isn't Nazi Germany, it's a cleanup, just like people occasionally do at home.

Again, on multiple occasions I've seen these cleanups performed by taking everything determined to not be needed in the resource center and putting it on tables in the gym or hallway for the members to pick through and take home. If the goal really is to flush everything down the memory hole this strikes me as a *really* ineffective way to do it.

Keep in mind that the materials in a resource center are also in almost all member's homes, and nobody uses it as a reference library in my experience, there's nothing rare in there that you won't find at grandma's house or an LDS bookstore with a used section.

Again folks, this is a single leader's initiative, there's no leadership notices prompting it. There's no book burning, the materials are typically put on a "take me" table (and few take any of it, that's how un-wanted the materials are and why the resource center is being cleaned out).

We have plenty to criticize, this is just spring cleaning. Let's not make mountains out of mole hills (and turn them into conspiracies, slippery slopes, and Nazi accusations) so that we don't start looking like conspiracy theorists to visitors.

Posted by: tapir buckaroo ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 01:11AM

Any predictions as to when they will remove the facsimiles from the PoGP?

Date: October 28, 2014 02:07AM

One of the ensign articles that will DISAPPEAR from the purge will be the 1982 May Ensign. That is the issue with the talks of April '82 General Conference. A great talk was given by Apostle Marvin J. Ashton, "This is No Harm." https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1982/04/this-is-no-harm?lang=eng

Ashton speaks about being full of honesty and integrity. He says, "A lie is any communication given to another with the intent to deceive . . . A lie can be effectively communicated without words ever being spoken. Sometimes a nod of the head or silence can deceive. Recommending a questionable business investment, making a false entry in a ledger, devious use of flattery, or FAILURE TO DIVULGE ALL PERTINENT FACTS ARE A FEW OTHER WAYS TO COMMUNICATE THE LIE." (emphasis added)

Ashton concludes his conference address with this unbelievable exhortation (one that the current Q15 CANNOT live by):

"God grant to all of us the power and strength to be people of INTEGRITY, and the insight and wisdom to avoid being led into the snares of the DISHONEST..." (emphasis added)

When the Q15 are HONEST and measure-up with full INTEGRITY and follow all the precepts in Gospel Essentials Lesson 31 on HONESTY, only then will they be able to remove the facsimiles from the PoGP.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 02:41AM

Will they then encourage all members to hand over any old books they still have on shelves??

I WILL be phoning my mother today, and tell her that I want all her old church books! And to NOT by any means toss them or give them to the church.

But in this day and age,with everything online, do they really believe the can make an entire church history go away?

Date: October 28, 2014 03:17AM

Becca said: "Do they really believe the[y] can make an entire church history go away?"

Of course not. That's not the point. The point is to make it MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to find hard copies of material, especially statements, writings, magazine articles etc. from previous church leaders (apostles and prophets) that LDS Inc. wants to bury. Many TBMs want proof to substantiate critic's arguments (especially when critics quote from LDS resources to make a point). In these cases the TBMs don't believe unless they see with their own eyes.

There have been so many statements made by general authorities that need to be disavowed or hid because they conflict with the current Q15's agenda. Also, older general conference talks recorded in the church magazines need to be DE-EMPHASIZED or IGNORED because those prophetic utterances aren't in keeping with current marketing strategies (e.g. recorded sermons where the church president or a Q15 member testifies that this is the 'only true church on the face of the earth' or that all of the other churches are false).

LDS Inc. is being cagey here. By emphasizing Preach My Gospel, which began in 2004, LDS Inc. can invent a pious reason for this systematic whitewashing. Many TBMs will follow whatever new direction comes down from their precious apostles and prophets. They'll embrace the purge and won't analyze the rational reasoning for the change much further. It will just be the NEW direction from their INSPIRED LEADERS. (The sheeple will just follow, follow, follow.)

Meanwhile, the Q15 are celebrating behind closed doors that their devious plan (as outlined in the OP) is going ahead as planned. Maybe Boyd K. Packer will get up and dance a jig.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 03:30AM

They might end up saying things like: "Oh but we don't use those old books anymore.." which will be supported by the fact that those books are no longer present.

*Shakes head*
Unbelievable...

And they wonder why we hate the church so much.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 28, 2014 03:07AM

even if this is true, i doubt it can be accomplished by the new year. It will take more than a couple months to pull this kind of thing off.

Date: October 28, 2014 03:47AM

This clear-cut meetinghouse ward library whitewashing CAN happen by the end of 2014. As we all know it takes a long time to build a Lego village with Lego brand toys. I used to do this for hours growing up as a kid, and it only took seconds to toss everything into a big box (dumpster for this analogy). It just doesn't take long to clear out a library or toss the mandated anti-correlation stuff into the meetinghouse dumpster -- easy 'n quick. The directive/goal is to get it done ASAP by Dec. 31, 2014, but no later. That’s not difficult at all.

We aren't privy to the confidential memos that go out to church leaders on a regular basis. But they do go out and LDS Inc. expects total compliance to their marching orders. We don't know how many reminders church officials might receive on this matter to cleanse the libraries. We don't know if stake presidents receive additional "Notices" to inspect/insure that their bishops and branch presidents have complied; or that the stake president (or a designated high council member) is instructed to verify a church authorized “completion form” and send it to some higher authority, verifying that the 'cleansing' has been successful.

Take for example one such memo or announcement called a "Notice." It does not come from the First Presidency to be "announced" in Sacrament Meeting. It's just a notice for specified male leaders from the Priesthood Department directed to: General Authorities; Area Seventies; Stake/Mission/District Presidents; Bishops and Branch Presidents -- regarding the new essays: http://imgur.com/VkKtakr

Also consider this: such a memo regarding the cleansing of materials from the meetinghouse library wouldn’t need to be made public from the pulpit and the implementation would only be carried out by a select few. Most of the remaining local members would be uninformed as to the 'memory dump' in progress. The shock is when members try to find something in the future, only to realize God’s ‘record keeping people’ were previously ordered to dump manuals, books, and magazines, etc.

Don't forget, there are a lot of old manuals in thousands of meetinghouse libraries. The utlm website (Tanner's), and Richard Packham's website, and MormonThink have referenced several LDS teachings (doctrine) in their fabulous articles with footnotes and quotes to these older publications. TSCC wants the old stuff destroyed for obvious reasons.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 11:53AM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 31, 2014 06:42AM

agree in limited practice, jc, but there are 30,000 wards worldwide, so I thot it might take some more time to get them all into compliance. But I'm happy to be wrong on this one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.