Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 01:24PM

He's blamed for every bad thought and action it seems.

Do other non-Christian religions have such an entity?

I remember in the temple, he was the one who said it was his great day of power. Seems that the script writers of the temple play seemed to think that way back when they wrote it, and it has been the same scenerio since.

I wonder if he has an inflated ego over so much attention.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 01:32PM

Not only that, but his power would seem to be INCREASING.

Note that this thinking also permeates some other religious groups.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 04:50PM

According to some of my family members, my husband and I are totally being run by satan. He's telling us what to think, do, eat, buy, and how to act and be every minute of everyday. You'd think he'd have better things to do.

I will say that he's a lot nicer than the HG. We're allowed to have coffee, tea, alcohol, and wear whatever we want. Best of all, we get to rest on Sunday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 04:50PM by madalice.

Posted by: ChubbyTheFat ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 06:44PM

Satan also tells tightwads like me to save money and use what could have been tithing for work supplies and/or groceries.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 06:54PM

.....worshiper that insists on leaving your estate to your beloved family members rather than a church-ish corporation-y thingy. Your evil makes me worry for my own salvation. ;-)

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:59PM

Not a bad guy after all!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 05:06PM

Yes, Stan controls everyone & everything, & can even break washing machines. :D

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 08:57PM

Yep. He also breaks teeth, cars, and sometimes backs. He's a pretty powerful guy. God-like, you might say.

My TBM aunt and uncle were getting their son ready to go on a mission, and the uncle had a tooth break, and then their car broke down and needed repairs. My aunt listed those examples (in an email), and then said that Satan was trying really hard to keep them from sending their son on a mission (he came home after just a couple of months, btw). Okay, so Satan is so powerful he can break body parts and cars. Check.

I had a friend who almost missed church one week because her back was hurting. But then she decided to force herself to go, because she "knew" that the pain was caused by Satan, who was trying to keep her from church. Okay, so this is just more proof that Satan can break body parts. I'm thinking he might even be more powerful than God, who doesn't seem to be able to do a whole lot. (on a sad note, the back pain actually turned out to be ovarian cancer, but that's a whole different story... or maybe believers think Satan causes cancer, too. I'm not sure.)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Mormons think Satan is actually a god. Because he can do all kinds of powerful stuff, like drown missionaries if they get in the water. He's clearly far more than just the little guy sitting on your shoulder, whispering ideas in your ear about coveting your neighbor's wife.

Posted by: GadiantonRobber ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 05:27PM

Apparently, satan plays a pivotal role in the plan of salvation. If he realized this, he would thwart elohim's master plan. Without sin, there could be no repentance or salvation. So satan just needs to do nothing. Tell his cohorts to back off and to stop tempting people.

The more and more I think about satan, the more ridiculous it sounds. Hell,, now that I think about it, I wish heavenly daddy would have chosen lucifer's plan, instead of jesus. We are all saved, no matter what. F yeah!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 08:50PM

In Mormonism, everyone except sons of perdition are "saved." Exaltation must be earned. See, that old fucker deluded you again! Boner.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:58PM

Not only that. If you think about mormon doctrine for a moment who is it that really is punished forever and ever for our sins? It's not Jesus it's Lucifer. Somebody has to suffer according to some ridiculous 'spiritual' laws that God must obey. So Jesus is sent down to suffer a bad weekend and gets all the credit. Meanwhile in the background the only guy made to actually suffer for an eternity is our friend Stan who also gets all the blame. Tell me again, who is it that was supposed to carry the punishment of our sins?

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 05:57PM

I know! Right? The whole concept of Satan just seems stupid now.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 05:58PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 05:59PM by MJ.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 06:01PM

He's so powerful because he doesn't rely on the HG to do his messaging for him. The HG always mucks things up, making messages cryptic or simply forgetting to reply. It doesn't help that HF is always defending HG's crappy methods and shoddy work ethic; blaming you if you didn't hear and/or understand what HG was getting at.

At this point, I think it's fair to say that Satan has a higher success rate than HF. I mean, just this morning alone, I thought about having a cup of coffee more than once. I'm willing to bet that millions of people got Satan's "drink coffee" message too. In a few minutes I'll be imbibing Satan's spiritual gateway beverage to the Telestial kingdom. Satan, you insidious but highly effective, easy to understand and seemingly benign minx--you. ;-)

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 06:57PM

I think I know who you're talking about.....

You mean Stan, of course.

I first met Stan as a wee lad.

Mom was not too happy.

She said I was making him happy.

So what Mom, if I'm happy . . . . who cares if he likes it too?

Mom and Dad never understood me the way Stan did so screw them.

Hale Stan!

Date: September 22, 2014 12:20AM

As a golden child god-boy emeritus, Stan is now securely ensconced as a permanent member of the Mormon Godhead.

Roll over Horny Joe, you've met your match.

Hale Stan!

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 07:29PM

Gemini mused:

I wonder if he (Satan) has an inflated ego over so much attention.

Better to have an inflated ego than to be so insecure that you are doomed if put another god or gods before the one who Moses got those tablets from. That particular god is terribly insecure and could use some ego inflation.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 21, 2014 08:35PM

The more powerful your antagonist, the more awesome your hero looks at the end of the film when he bests him and saves the day.

Posted by: upThink ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:58AM

Okay, let's look at the timeline:

Pre-Creation:
- Council in Heaven takes place.
- 10+ Billion souls have a little chit-chat
- Satan shares his plan
- Satan's plan is rejected
- Satan's angry and full of pride (Um, who tempted Satan?)
- Satan and friends are cast out (Um, to where? Earth hasn't been created yet)
- To sum up: Satan is pissed.

Creation:
- Earth takes 4.5 Billion years to "make"
- Satan is STILL pissed from that 4.5 BILLION-YEAR-OLD argument
- Um, yeah.

Questions:
1. Does Satan have free will?
2. Can Satan simply choose to stop tempting people?
3. What if during those 4.5 B years he decided to give Jesus's plan a try?
4. So at what point did Satan pass the point of no return? At what point did he become unredeemable?
- When he came up with an idea?
- When he got offended that his idea wasn't chosen?
- When he wanted glory for himself?

Um... don't they use our potential to share in God's glory as a MOTIVATOR to get us to be obedient? Why was Satan's desire for glory deemed several orders of magnitude worse than any sin any of us will ever (or could ever) commit... Yet, when WE are motivated by the promise of glory, it's counted as a GOOD thing...?

Posted by: Steve Davis ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:35AM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's blamed for every bad thought and action it
> seems.
>
> Do other non-Christian religions have such an
> entity?

Satan also appears in Islamic mythology and he was first introduced in ancient Jewish scripture (i.e. the first part of the Bible).

Why the omnipotent God has not yet defeated Satan is a great mystery. I've never heard anyone provide a good answer for this.

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:54AM

Here's what I want to know. If God is the creator of everything, did he create Satan? And if so, doesn't that make God responsible for all evil in the world? And it does seem like everyone makes Satan out to be suspiciously more powerful than God. Satan doesn't mess around with prophets who can't get messages right, no misinterpreted prayer "answers", no poverty. Did people make up Satan to justify their jealousy of others? "Oh, your life is going swimmingly even though you don't worship God? Wow, you must be under the influence of Satan!"

Posted by: Meri ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:55AM

Clementine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's what I want to know. If God is the creator
> of everything, did he create Satan?

Yes

John 1:1-31 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

>And if so, > doesn't that make God responsible for all evil in
> the world?

Yes
Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

> And it does seem like everyone makes
> Satan out to be suspiciously more powerful than
> God.

That's not just LDS, but endemic in Christianity, in general. Satan may as well be God as he is at least as powerful as God.

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:39AM

Well actually the world should be getting less evil. Let me explain:

According to LDS "theology" one third of heaven was cast out to become super loser economy class demons to torment man. Current estimates put 100 billion people on the earth (valiant spirits) during the history of mankind, which would mean 50 billion evil spirits as well. So if we use some simplistic math to illustrate, that would mean that Adam and Eve each had 25 billion evil spirits tormenting them. Now with a current population of the earth hovering around 7.125 billion, we each have about 7 evil spirits tormenting us. See? Much fewer evil spirits to go around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 11:40AM by Argonaut.

Date: September 22, 2014 05:53PM

If any of ye lack wisdom, let him ask of Stan, who giveth liberally and upbraideth not.....

If only young Horny Joe would have listened to the FIRST god that 'appeared' to him the Sacred Grove.....

I wouldn't be posting this silly $hit.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:54PM

It's just like Mormons to worship a desert god and assign control of the waters to a devil. They've never been right about anything, the damn fools.

Posted by: satangotme ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:22PM

@madalice... Go Satan!!!!

I'm sure Some think that Satan hacked on lds website and wrote that there are different versions of JS's first vision, and that they're all different. How else can you explain this

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:38PM

And God was a chump when he made that bet about Job and let Stan screw the guy up royally. Job is still really pissed at God, but he ain't sayin' nuthin' out loud....

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:35PM

"Do other non-Christian religions have such an entity?" YES Joseph Smith and they are correct about that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.