Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 08:29PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 08:32PM

No they can't, because missions are not about mission work. Missions are about breaking the kids away from their friends and families for a couple years, so the cult has them to themselves for indoctrination reasons.

It's also why the missionaries get moved around every few months, can't leave their areas without permission and have restricted communication with people they meet in the mission field. Can't have them having any other social support network, other than the cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 08:33PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: March 11, 2014 10:21PM

You can't get the really good brainwashing done at home, it requires isolation.

Posted by: Anon Regular Lurker ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:55AM

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:16AM

I absolutely agree with this view of the primary purpose for sending young people as far away as possible. It is a diabolically ingenious system! Everyone--family, younger youth, older members--is co-opted into delivering elders, and increasingly, the sisters to the big lds machine so they can be remade into the proper widgets. As widgets, they are interchangeable, no individuality required or allowed. As a result, any worthy male and any worthy female will have a successful, productive marriage. It's really pretty scary!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:40AM

bordergirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a result, any worthy male and any
> worthy female will have a successful, productive
> marriage.

Successful, productive marriage = lots of kids trained to be
faithful Mormons.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 02:22AM

ah, the pleasure of getting ahead of the Morg!

Date: March 12, 2014 01:00PM

guynoirprivateeye Wrote:
> ah, the pleasure of getting ahead of the Morg!

According to the First Presidency Letter of January 5, 1982, you
are not supposed to experience the pleasure of getting head.

Date: March 12, 2014 01:02PM

A standard joke at the MTC:

Q: What's the difference between the MTC and prison?

A: In prison you are allowed visitors.

Posted by: Done! ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:32AM

It is very similar to military training. Taking people from their homes and sending them to far away and unfamiliar places so that they can't dessert or abandon the post and they are forced to rely on the institution or those similarly brainwashed. Islands in the south Pacific work the best.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:47AM

I'm still trying to find out when the church switched from sending married men on missions to sending out young single men.

Posted by: brosephsmith ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:51AM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
> I'm still trying to find out when the church
> switched from sending married men on missions to
> sending out young single men.

Too many married elders came home to polyandrous wives?

Posted by: Anon2 ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:44PM

That started right away to get the strong, good looking boys with lots of thick hair for the girls to run their fingers through out of the way long enough for the young ladies to give up hope waiting and submit to the badgering of the smelly old fart that has been pestering her with empty promises, insincere flattery and very real personal threats in order to get her to agree to be a plural "wife."

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:51AM

The LDS church teaches that Jesus sent out his disciples "two by two" and that is the pattern they are following.

But I agree with you...why does it have to be for ALL Missionaries to go away?

The premise is to send the missionaries out to the world to convert people, but the real conversion takes place in the person that is isolated. This way they cling to the ideals, rather than the relationships.

All the Mormon relationships I have ever had were never out of real bonding, emotional or devotional.

It was always out of obligation TO THE CHURCH.

Count me out. I want the real deal now:)

RMM

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 03:29PM

I'm still talking send them off initially to the MTC to do all the regular prelim crap and brainwashing but then send them back home with a local companion and make their day 9am - 7pm and they still have to report to their local DL's and ZL's as any missionary would but then they get a normal life for the evening part of their day with their family etc.

No more learning languages...let the missionaries in their own countries stay and do that.

What harm could come by loosening the ties that bind and LDS Inc would still be getting their same overall convert numbers i bet...if not more.

Not that i want to give the Morg any ideas but i'd bet they'd even see more of a swell in their Missionary ranks.

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 05:25PM

With the plan of letting them stay home and serve in a local area, some places would have no door-knocking, brain-washed young men (or women) trying to sell their religion.

The pool from which recruits are successfully drawn is getting smaller and smaller, one day it will be solely SLC or Utah - nowehere else.

I am convinced.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 06:48PM

If they were closer to home, family would intervene in the abuse tactics used by LDS Inc during the indoctrination process.

Posted by: Losing Her ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 07:16PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1201028,1201331#msg-1201331

If they were home, they wouldnT be reliant on the church to go to the doctor, thus they wouldn"t be reliant, which appears to be the real purpose of the current missionary programs. Any converts are unlikely to last, and are just gravy.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 08:48PM

By convincing others of pure bollocks it's easier to convince one's self of same.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.