Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Losing Her ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 09:39AM

So the missionaries are asked to report on their activities. The first stands up and mentions they'd like to go to the next town, but it's a lot of miles (no more than 15 in reality - I guess that's a lot). If someone could help them out that's great. The next one mentions he has an appointment at the regional teaching hospital tomorrow. Someone asks if he's sick. No, just his every six month follow up to make sure he isn't sick again. He's looking for a ride (over an hour away, driving). For tomorrow. Someone recommended riding the bike, to some chuckling.
I very much got the sense that if nobody volunteered, he'd miss his appointment, even though there is a perfectly good car available (I know the girls drive).
Nobody seemed to think this was unconscionable. I'm not a member, but this whole thing didn't seem Christ-like. He can't drive to a doctors appointment, because it's too many miles? Seriously?
Somebody else also announced to them that he was stealing some chocolate (that apparently was theirs/for them). Some people did call BS on that though (including me).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 09:53AM

Just curious (none of my business, really): How did you come to see this?

I gather you were in a priesthood meeting, but you aren't LDS. Why were you there? Are you the spouse of a member?

Again, no pressure to respond, I'm just curious why someone here would go to priesthood meeting if he didn't have to, LOL.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 11:03AM

All of the mistreatment is because members, parents, and mishies allow the church to run over these kids.

I blame parents for forcing their young people into these situations and not being sure how they are treated. I also blame the home wards for helping pay for this abuse.

The local Mormons have their own lives and responsibilities. They can't necessarily make up for the bad judgment of their leaders and everyone else involved.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:44PM

when one of my neighbor's daughters left on her mission last May. She said they were being taught in a room that had no air conditioning and she was learning a new language, so she was there when it got hot. She also mentioned that even inmates get phone calls.

Then when she was ready to go to a long distance away country, they had LOST her passport, so she didn't get to go with her group. They sent her the next day with 2 elders who left her halfway to her final destination. She had never traveled outside of the country before, never traveled alone before. Her mother was furious, but, of course, they did nothing about it.

Posted by: Losing Her ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:56PM

For left4good, as with nearly everyone here, it's complicated. If you search for my prior threads, you'll probably see why I was in PH meeting. I don't feel like laying it all out now.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 12, 2014 01:57PM

If I were there, I'd raise my hand and volunteer to call the Mission President.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.