Deconstructing Mormonism  : RfM
A discussion of Tom Riskas' book "Deconstructing Mormonism: An Analysis and Assessment of the Mormon Faith." 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:28AM

Right, mormonism does not have the instructions on how to get out of the box written on the outside of the box as Riskas claims, does it?

The reviewer quoting George Albert Smith:

"Even to imply that members of the Church are not to do their own thinking is grossly to misrepresent the true ideal of the Church, which is that every individual must obtain for himself a testimony of the truth of the Gospel . . . ."

You get your very own testimony of The TRUTH (well, the truth of the gospel that is).

See, there are the instructions. Plain as day. On the inside of the box.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 25, 2013 05:30PM

Very funny that Christensen makes a point of accusing Tom of using a few dated sources and then goes on to pontificate at length about Popper, Kuhn and Derrida.

He gets away with this, I imagine, because his readers probably haven't read these authors, although they may have heard about them (and may even remember some of it) from the Philosophy of Science 101 they took as first year students.

Posted by: tomriskas ( )
Date: October 26, 2013 03:10PM

Anyone interested in Christensen's review of DM posted by lemm0n above might want to check-out the recent review of it on Amazon, along with my Comment on the Amazon review.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sophic-Mantic-Vista-Deconstructing-ebook/dp/B00FSEQOJ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382814257&sr=1-2&keywords=deconstructing+mormonism

Posted by: backyardprofessor ( )
Date: June 14, 2014 12:30AM

I found it utterly astonishing that the book review ended up reviewing ANOTHER book, and wishing Riskas had written that kind of book!?! Amazing! Dodging absolutely everything. He didn't touch one significant thing about what Riskas raised in his book, but lofted up on several other authors and said Riskas should be like them instead. But Riskas ISN'T like them! THE point is, what about what Riskas actually said, not what other book authors have said! I am astonished that Mormons can't see what a complete cop out that review of Riskas is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.