Exmormon Bios  : RfM
Exmormon's exit stories about how and why they left the church. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paravis ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 12:20AM

My story is long but I'm not currently in the mood to give a full write up but wanted to share a bit.
I used to be a TBM to the utmost degree. I come a multi-generational staunch Mormon family. There are 11 siblings in my family all TBM.

I recently got out of a 6 year drug addiction (with 4-6 years of prior drug addictions that were not as bad). It was a very scary and devastating addiction that had me having trouble taking care of my own hygiene and hardly eating, as well as being jobless for those 6 years.

I am a returned missionary and fell into the addiction a few years after returning home. During my mission I battled with pain killer addiction and even a 3 month period of downing bottles of robotussin every day.
Needless to say I have battled with depression to a suicidal degree (though never attempted). I've been on anti-depressants since my mission up until last year.

I came to understand that Mormonism was tearing at my soul for years, fueling my underlying depression and causing it to thrive. This was during my massive 6 year addiction. It was an isolating addiction so I was alone all the time with no counseling or therapy. I came to this conclusion through intense soul-searching whilst hanging onto my life by the thin thread that was my drug of choice.

It wasn't until last year when I went into rehab that I learned that I could actually live without the drug that had a stranglehold on my lifeforce.
Shortly after entering rehab I began to thrive for the first time in my life. I owe it to the fact that I got rid of the poison that is Mormonism from my mind. I subsequently got off all anti-depressants.

It's been nearly a year now and I'm sober but more importantly mormon-free. I have never been happier. Even though the drugs destroyed any kind of career I had and I'm starting from scratch, I've never had more self-respect for myself than I do now. I am finally living for myself, not for any skewed religion and not for family respect.

I am actually happy I got into such a heavy addiction. While in it, I was not capable of attending church so it gave me time to think for myself. And it also kept me living while I discovered what was really destroying me. If not for the addiction I would have committed suicide years ago.

Well that's it for now. I'm planning on writing a book about my experience due to its very unique nature. Not only because of the Mormon aspect but because the drug combo I was hooked on is relatively unheard of and one of the 2 parts of the combo is an anti-depressant drug. It was the drug Selegiline (Anipryl, L-deprenyl, Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar) and the supplement Phenelethylamine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.