Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon Heretic ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 03:43AM

So about 9 months ago I had an "incident" with a woman. Nothing major happened (we certainly didn't go all the way) but we did things that made me feel quite guilty at the time (I was still debating whether or not TSCC was true and what I had done clearly violated the Law of Chastity).

Anyway, I went in tears to my Bishop and told him all about my "evil" escapade. I think it is worth noting that I was VERY sincere in how I felt. Heck, I still think it was a bad decision to this day. Long story short, the Bishop put me on informal probation. In a way I was happy. I would get to work through the repentance process and I believed it would help me with my faith crisis. In my mind, drawing closer to God would help me to realize that the church was, in fact, true.

So I began. I read, prayed, and did all I was asked. But something funny happened. I realized that what I had done wasn't that big of a deal. More importantly, I realized that the church (my local leaders in particular) didn't really care if I had "repented." All they wanted to see what that I show up for church. Heck, that was really the only requirement for my informal probation to be removed. My Bishop (who in fairness is a good guy) never asked me about anything else. He just wanted another butt in the seats. All I was asked was, "When are you coming to church?" "We need to get you back in church." Yadda, yadda, yadda. There was no concern for my soul; no desire to address what had happened. Just show up on Sunday and all is right with the world. Yes, truly what Christ himself would do, right!?! Ugh!

So, in a nutshell, I showed up. But the more I did, the more I saw the bull$hit. Nobody really cares. So many are just jumping through hoops like they are told. It's almost like a generic karaoke event in which we all repeat the same old lyrics over, and over, and over, and...

So what did I take from my "repentance process?" Not much to be honest. I learned that a Bishop just wants to see you on Sunday. If that is done, nothing else matters. Since my "repentance" I have been asked to take on callings, become a home teacher, etc. I have outright refused every single one of those "callings." I want no part of them. And still, the Bishop (and other leaders) seem to think that as long as I am attending, all is well. Another butt in the seats to boost attendance numbers.

Mormonism = Lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 03:48AM

Good for you for not being fooled.

Indifference is the counterfeit of forgiveness.

Posted by: Anon Heretic ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 04:08AM

"Indifference is the counterfeit of forgiveness." DAMN! That is a GREAT line!!! That EXACTLY sums up my experience with the "repentance process." Awesome. Well done, sir!

Posted by: Another Ex Mormon ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 06:39AM

I always chuckle when I think of idiot bishops pretending to know what is best for those who come into their office.

Arguable one of the worst aspects of TSCC that leads to so much pain.

Posted by: victoria ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 08:08AM

Your post made me start sing "I Feel Like a Number" by Bob Seger. That is exactly what the members are...a number.

Posted by: Cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 08:54AM

Sounds alot like "double secret probation"

ala animal house

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 08:58AM

"...More importantly, I realized that the church (my local leaders in particular) didn't really care if I had "repented." All they wanted to see what that I show up for church."

More specifically, it's important that they keep your contributions. In Mormonism, salvation is by indulgence. While they make no guarantees that if you pay you'll be saved, they do make the guarantee that if you don't specifically pay Mormon Jesus, you will not be saved ("exalted").

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 09:29AM

"Church is a generic karaoke event..." Lol. So true. Repeat it until you believe it.
I was on formal probation when I left. Your experience mirrors mine in many ways. They want you there, and they want their money.

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 10:38AM

Sex between two consenting adults is a fun experience.
Why ruin it by running to a bishop, only to be made to feel guilty.
And for what?

Glad you woke up.
Stop obeying and paying such a crappy church.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 02:36PM

The "Man" has NO power to grant absolution!!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 02:43PM

I agree -- you can use your own good common sense to determine what are appropriate limits for you. No need to consult the ward doctor/lawyer/insurance salesman who moonlights as a bishop.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 04:04PM

Exactly, Why are you doing this anyway?
Just walk away and never look back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.