Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:09PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:35PM

From the article-

"A third wave of migration started around 2,400 years ago when a bunch of jews floated over in tight dished submarines and settled on the Hill Cumorah."

Fixed.

Is it really spelled "cum"?

Freaking Sex Cult.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:55PM

Another nail in the coffin.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 05:28PM

The whole DNA controversy could be a used as "proof" of BoM Truthiness. The Asians were part of the Ephraim and Manasseh LOST TEN TRIBES. So of course they shared the same DNA. Pure science, proved Native Americans and Asians share DNA as prophet said; Now Pangaea Was explained in Bible and Book of Abraham and so Science explained. the four rivers? the Nile, the Amazon, The Mississippi, and one lost? during the days of Peleg when the Earth was divided. I didn't mean to give fodder to the apologists.

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 01:11AM

Spit coffee all over my screen & keyboard!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 08:07PM

The "three wave" idea of the peopling of the Americas was the result of some in-depth interpretations of autosomal (nuclear) DNA sequencing a few years ago.

Two of those "waves" were confined to extreme northern regions, so assuming these conclusions are accurate, the bulk of the ancestors of today's Native Americans were from the "first" migration.

I'm having trouble reconciling this with Perego's "two nearly simultaneous migratons" that was in vogue a few years ago (which utterly failed to account for the presence of a renegade "outlier" involving mtDNA haplogroup D4h3, found in some pre-Columbian remains in Illinois. Perego insisted the D4h3 was "proof" of a coastal migration, but I've reviewed that one, and I'm skeptical because of the outlier). Perego, incidentally now works for the LDS educational system and has opted out of further DNA research.

None of this is relevant to the Book of Mormon; DNA evidence long ago debunked any connection between Native Americans and Hebrews; studies and research into this subject are seeking to identity probable migration routes of the ancient Siberian ancestors of today's Indians. The best that can be inferred at this point is they began spreading this way some 15-20,000 years ago from their orginal home that was probably in the Southern Altai region near Lake Baikal.

The "coastal migration hypothesis" is popular these days, but remains unproven, relying on speculation that much of the archaeological evidence is "underwater," covered up by rising seas from water released by melting Ice Age glaciers.

My objections to it involve questions of what would drive "North to South" migrations in ancient human populations; it seems to me it would require repeated adaptation to different environmental climes; East to West migrations don't make the same survival demands. Too, the climate along the coast of British Columbia is particularly harsh in winter; some suggested the presence of brown bears "prove' humans could've found sufficient food, etc. However, bears hibernate, and humans don't.

Questions like this are what legitimate science debates should involve, however, and not the manufactured myths of Mormonism.

Edit: On my initial reading I missed that this was another analysis of mitochondrial findings (with data drawn, perhaps, from Woodward's work at the Sorenson Molecular Institute). Another study using nuclear DNA was the basis of the "three migration" claims... There does seem to be some overlap, but I still find Perego's original claim of two concurrent migrations to be a bit too "coincidental," given the D4h3 sequence mentioned earlier.

Alas, Simon Southerton is out of his office until next week...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 10:49PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 01:03AM

ice sheets were...
...if the genetic age of migration #1 is correct, and the presence of the ice sheets is correct...
The first wave could ONLY have arrived coastally, since the ice sheets were merged at the time and covered all of Canada.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 01:47AM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Perego insisted
> the D4h3 was "proof" of a coastal migration, but
> I've reviewed that one, and I'm skeptical because
> of the outlier). Perego, incidentally now works
> for the LDS educational system and has opted out
> of further DNA research.
>
> > Edit: On my initial reading I missed that this was
> another analysis of mitochondrial findings (with
> data drawn, perhaps, from Woodward's work at the
> Sorenson Molecular Institute). Another study using
> nuclear DNA was the basis of the "three migration"
> claims... There does seem to be some overlap, but
> I still find Perego's original claim of two
> concurrent migrations to be a bit too
> "coincidental," given the D4h3 sequence mentioned
> earlier.
>
> Alas, Simon Southerton is out of his office until
> next week...

Interesting.
Before I looked at the link I was strongly impressed with the conviction that the link data was paid for by LDS Inc. I thought, "how can I search out the financial backing for this since lds Inc can cover their financial tracks."

Voila, you offered the info for me.
thanks.

Now all we need is the LDS Inc funding to create some really convincing high tech artificat forgeries in Israel and Central America and the dupe is a done deal.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 08:37PM

But how do scientists explain all of the Hebrew names that are so commonly found among the Indian tribes? Names like Samuel, and Benjamin, and Noah, and ...

... Oh, wait.

For some reason the Indians got rid of all their Hebrew names, and all their Hebrew words, and all of their Hebrew and Christian customs and beliefs, and art, and old-world technology, and ...

But there's no worry for Mormonism, as we all know, ingrained cultural things like that disappear so easily, don't they? Just like DNA obviously disappears.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 09:14PM

You're right! And they killed off all the horses, too, because they found them of absolutley NO use use except as tasty morsels...

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 02:14PM

In Oregon Native American DNA was discovered, examined, tested, and found to be approximately 13,000 years old.

I can't understand how my TBM family can explain this evidence away? Some respect for them has been lost. Stupid cult has enabled their ability to reason.

They can't admit error that the Book of Mormon is fiction and not the history of ancient American people from Israel.

Less contact with Mormons is better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.