Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:45AM

I know that a lot of us that are still trapped in the church have dreams of going out with a BANG.

A thought ran through my mind today and I wanted to hear some of your dreams.

I work for an international company and I am on the email list of BYU alumni for their recruiting events. We have a conference call that's optional today. I have the desire to just call in. Say JS was a sexual predator and a self-admitted con-man, then hang up.

Then I realize that there's a small chance I'd get fired, so I let that dream go.

What have been your dreams? or if someone did go out with a bang could you tell us about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rambo ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:49AM

For a while there I wanted to try and find a way to have sex in the temple.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 01:49PM

I like to think I went out with a big bang. :-)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 02:04PM

Ka-BAAAAAAM! Fantastic exit. No need for regrets there.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:06PM

Blue Orchid, were you there?

Date: August 16, 2013 04:23PM

I wish! But no, I'm just talking about what little I know, I think it was a pretty great way to leave the church on your own terms.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:25PM

Ok, now the rest of us want to hear.

Date: August 16, 2013 04:36PM

Link Please?

Date: August 16, 2013 05:00PM

I don't have any links, and don't want to say too much because its been awhile and i don't trust my memory. But unless I have it wrong, Jesus Smith used to be the managing editor over at Mormonthink and left in quite a "bang" including but not limited to an invitation to a very special court of love or at least the preliminary meetings for it.

He was a big thorn in the church's side.

I hope that was ok to say Jesus...Smith, that is.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 03:28AM

He came to the Ex-Mormon conference last year. He read his resignation letter and e-mailed it right there in front of everyone. The whole story unfolded over several weeks throughout the 2012 election and was covered by the media.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 02:34PM

I love hearing the going out with a bang stories! I wish I were that badass.

I would love to go through the temple ceremony one more time. When they get to the "bow your head and say yes" part, I would stand and say "No, I won't be participating in this cult ritual any more", and exit through the veil. Maybe give it the finger instead of a token first.

Of course that would mean renewing my recommend, paying a ton of money, and sitting through the tedious ceremony. Too bad I can think of dozens of awesome things I could do with my time instead!

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 02:58PM

Or just yell the line from the movie "Network"

"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

Posted by: NNT ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 03:27PM

I would love to be a whistle-blower of sorts for how the money is collected and spent within the church. I have an accounting degree and a lot of experience with taxes and general accounting. I have at times thought of applying to work for the church just to see what I could find out...just a dream.

Posted by: Bubba ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:09PM

Hey this is a family forum...keep your s*xual escapades to yourself..oh wait, I proly should read the rest of it. My bad.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:36PM

My fondest, fondest fantasy is leaving and taking just one TBM with me.

It hasn't happened yet: I haven't deconverted anybody.

It would just make me so happy to talk some sense into just ONE of them.

Date: August 16, 2013 04:37PM

The worth of a soul

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:38PM

How great shall be your joy with him at happy hour?

Posted by: Leo Walsh ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:50PM

At testimony meeting, giving a long testimony about 'your friend' and all the difficult questions he asked like BOA, polyandry, Kinderhook, temple & masonry, etc. This gives you a chance to say all this stuff while you still look like the faithful member.

Then say something like you listened to your friend, did your own research and found out the church isn't what it claimed it was. Inthenameofjesuschristamen

Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:56PM

+1

That would be an interesting F&T meeting for sure. Would love to be sitting on the stand to see everyone's faces...too bad most of them are playing with their iPhones, iPads, sleeping, etc.

Posted by: korihortonhearsawho ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 06:44PM

It's so true that a ton of the congregation wouldn't even know that a ninja antimony was even given because only half the ward pays attention. Years ago, I slumbered peacefully through a testimonkey meeting with my head in my hands. I woke up to the organ music and saw a girl my age bawling. After the meeting,I asked my mom, "why was (girl's name) crying."

My mom told me that her dad, the bishop, had decided that testimony meeting was the right time to get up and tell the ward publicly that he was having an affair and stepping down from bishop.It was the ward scandal of the century and I was oblivious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 07:32PM by korihortonhearsawho.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 06:29PM

It is the later bang which is still to come. It will be a best seller.

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 07:15PM

I'm still on the records and technically inactive. I have been brainstorming this for awhile. My general plan is really to just get excommunicated, so it's at least not a quiet exit. I just haven't decided precisely how to do it yet.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 07:25PM

I have a fantasy about standing in front of the gates of temple square in my temple outfit--veil down--silent. I resigned in 2006, they can't X me. What would they do?

Posted by: magnite ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 09:02PM

Testimonkey Meeting: Ever since I read about it here, I have always thought about standing up and saying: "Brothern and sisters, we welcome you to the temple this day, and hope you will find joy in serving in the house of the lord this day....."

and see how long before I am tackled or turned off....

or just show up to Secrement meeting in temple clothes & see if they call to have me put away...

I have just wondered.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 01:26AM

You need to do enough info spreading to get exed. Then you can show up and give a 2 hour thesis presentation for the top 15 in the stake and get them thinking.

You can start preparing for it now. I think this is the best way to get the remaining useful idiots to think about what they are involved in. If nothing else you can go into a court of love and drop several key words like pedophile, murderous, sh!#, f%@k, con man, cult, etc.

Good Luck with your bang!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 01:35AM

My last words the last time I set foot in a church was telling the stake president to go to hell.

And that was the end of that.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 10:02AM

Same here, except I have had to go thrice since, once because a grandchild asked me to attend her baptism, once for "The Messiah" (which was doctored by TSCC to omit parts which did not agree with Mo theology), and once for the funeral of our son's FIL.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.