Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon7 ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 11:42AM

http://mormonism-unveiled.blogspot.com/2010/11/anchorage-lds-mom-jessica-beagley.html

This writer doesn't seem to think this was a big deal. He commends them for taking in unwanted children. Please. These are exactly the kind of people who should not adopt. Do think they ever sought counseling after the adoption to help facilitate a healthy transition for their children? I doubt it. She expects these children to magically transform in morgbot children as evidenced by the tape.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 12:38PM

You have a few misconceptions here. First of all, it wasn't a "little" hotsauce -- he had to have his mouth full of it. Secondly, hotsauce is NOT a harmless substance. It can cause chemical burns -- especially in young children who have more delicate skin. Also, a cold shower can actually cause shock and hypothermia, once again, especially in young children. Finally, this mother was PROUD of her parenting skills. She sent this tape to Dr. Phil to brag about what a good parent she was. A GOOD parent, however, would not torture a child with issues -- a good parent would have gone to a professional child psychologist right off the bat.

This woman's behavior is not admirable in any way. You do not adopt children and then torture them because they have issues. And yes, this behavior was torture.

"To more easily compare forms of torture, the researchers divided events into seven broad categories: sexual torture; physical torture; psychological manipulations, such as threats of rape or witnessing the torture of others; humiliating treatment, including mockery and verbal abuse; exposure to forced stress positions, such as bondage with rope or other restrictions of movement; loud music, cold showers and other sensory discomforts; and deprivation of food, water or other basic needs."

http://www.anxietyinsights.info/read/page/127128605.htm

Actually, a lot of the posters seemed to want to say it was no big deal. It concerns me. It's really time we got an amendment to the Constitution giving children basic human rights. It's so sad that so many parents consider them property and are basically given a free pass to do anything they want to them as long as it doesn't leave marks.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 02:48PM

They consider them property especially in situations like this. Poor little boy,what a wonderful woman to take in the poor little boy. So she can do what she wants to fix him.This is disgusting and this child should be taken away. Just the way he sat there and didn't move while she picked up the hot sause and dumped it in his mouth. You knew this happened reularly.

I have 6 adopted kids. I always consider that I am the lucky one. Not the "poor little kids" I HATED when people would say to me,in front of my kids,"you are so great to take in these unwanted children." That's about the stupidest thing to come out of a persons mouth.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 05:56PM

The boy was taken to a very loving home after taken away from this mother.

Posted by: AnonForNow ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 06:04PM

anon123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The boy was taken to a very loving home after
> taken away from this mother.

Do you have a source for that?

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 02:54PM

That psychopath was so deluded she actually thought what she was doing WAS good parenting (of course, if she were not a psychopath and were not deluded, we wouldn't even know who she was, so I guess my categorization of her is redundant).

And anyone who thinks that hot sauce in the mouth is no big deal for an adult OR a child needs to sample it themselves in like amount to what that crazy forced into that child's mouth, keep it there just like she made him do, and then let us know how they feel (of course, these are probably the same asinine fools who thought waterboarding wasn't torture either—an opinion which made me think they needed to be waterboarded immediately under the premise that stupid is its own reward).

Posted by: Anne ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 10:21AM

I fail to see why anyone would let another person (i.e. a psychologist) mess with their child's mind, There seems to be a fallacy about psychology that we as the "sheeple" of America seem to put all our faith in. I believe it was the DSM III that decided that homosexuals were "nutjobs", they have since recanted that in the new volume. There are multiple "disorders" that they have proclaimed to be "crazy", in essence they cannot make up their minds exactly what a nutjob really is. Know why? Because for the most part insanity is an opinion that is not popular with the majority. Don't get me wrong, there are people out there who are not wrapped right. If a country goes to war with another country and murders thousands or even millions it's called collateral damage, if an individual does so, it's called murder and of course they must be exterminated, even though it is learned behavior, monkey see, monkey do. If you are peace loving and prefer not to have confrontation, they call it any number of diseases, if you are confrontational and stand up for your rights, they have a nice little disorder for that one to. As soon as mankind understands that they have the God given right to be themselves, no matter what anyone thinks about it, then they will truly be living their own life. I do not promote child abuse by any means. All comments on the subject are purely opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. Someone might not agree with the way you or I think and could start a whole revolution over it. THINK about it. Never take a child to a psychologist, for they are human beings and the only thing they truly know is what they read in books, they then receive a piece of paper that licenses them to tell you what you will do with your life and some will dutifully, if they can prescribe medications, give you something that "helps" you, if they cannot they will send you over to someone who can and the only people who benefit from prescription drugs or any drug for that matter are the manufactures and the doctors or "pushers" as they are termed, who get the kickbacks from the manufacturers. Most people that I have known who take prescription drugs do not even look at what is in the pills, common since will tell you not to eat things in the wild if you don't know what they are, yet millions of people blindly swallow pills in this country and others without knowing the contents and without getting msds sheets on the ingredients. That's as stupid as paying someone to "mess" with your mind.

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 05:00AM

Tl:DR. Psycology is bad mmmkay

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 09:05AM

A little bitter, are we? So, are you saying that "Dr. Phil" is wrong in condemning this woman's actions because he has a "piece of paper" that shows he is a psychologist?

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 02:38PM

Some people think adopted children should be grateful they were taken in after being unwanted by someone else. To me this woman displays all the signs that she resents this child for not being more grateful. Because she's not getting the kind of rewards she expects from this act of charity.

This is the worst kind of abuse. Neither children nor society need to be grateful to this bitch (or to any other parent) who adopts a child. Giving a child a family/home is not supposed to be charity for which you get a reward. She used the adoption to meet her needs and is now resentful that he has needs of his own and she hasn't gotten enough limelight. I hope only a few adoptive parents do things like this. But this one definitely seems to feel she deserves admiration and gratitude.

And what's more, that stupid little permed hair cut of hers, I'd like to grab her by the hair and put her head in the toilet.

Posted by: longtimegone (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 03:00PM

She's gotten herself some limelight now, although I'm sure this isn't what she had in mind. She's the poster girl for an international incident between Russia and the U.S.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/dispatches/alaska-beat/88-alaska-beat/8537-tabasco-discipline-lands-alaska-mom-in-hot-water

Tabasco discipline lands Alaska mom in hot water
Alaska Dispatch

Jessica Beagley, an Alaska mother slammed by Dr. Phil for allegedly forcing her son to swallow Tabasco and take cold showers for bad behavior at school, has been charged with criminal child abuse, according to an article by the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Beagley, 36, adopted her son from Russia, and the Dr. Phil segment set off a whole other set of problems on an international scale between Russia's ombudsman for children and the United States -- with Russian officials threatening to suspend all American adoptions until a bilateral agreement had been ratified.

Seattle PI reports that Beagley made the video for Dr. Phil "ostensibly to get parenting help, after other forms of discipline -- time-outs, spankings, soap in the mouth -- apparently didn't work. 'I feel out of control,' she said on the show." On Jan. 28, Beagley pleaded not guilty to abusing the 7-year-old via her attorney, who spoke on her behalf in what an Anchorage Daily News reporter described as "a packed basement courtroom in downtown Anchorage." The ADN also said there were at least four TV camera crews present, including one from Russia and another rumored to be from the "Today" show.

I agree about the haircut. The permed Dorothy Hamill cut went out in the 1970's. It's very Bozo-the-clownesque. A little mustache wax wouldn't hurt either.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 08:48AM

Russia has a bad habit of pawning off severely disordered children who were neglected and abused by the Russian system and not disclosing the severity of the problems to the adoptive family.

Now they want to act out raged by the practice they are party to?

Just like in the US (adoptive parents who were victims of such adoptions has laws passed in the US to stop the practice of withholding information, so that adoptive parents could make informed decisions), Russian social services has put up children for adoption and does not disclose to prospective parents the extent of the neglect and abuse the child was subject to and also did not inform parents of behaviors the child has demonstrated that they were aware of, like ohhhhh starting fires, abusing pets and siblings, destruction of property and just all around unmanageable behavior of the child, to parents who would never be emotionally or financially equipped to deal with the extensive problems associated with adopting such a child.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 03:03PM

Wanting kudos for adopting and 'giving' a 'home'.
Reminds me of the neglectful moron woman who complained that she "thought you'd get a little bit more for doing foster care". She and her husband took in foster babies as a way of supplimenting their income!!!!

She was the idiot on the day the Bishop asked anyone who was sick to stay home because one out of three people were down with the flu,
(in the whole town, pop. 600)
She brought a 9 month old foster baby with a cough that sounded like a three year olds it was so deep and throaty to church. Another mother felt the child and
said "Sister this child is buring up!"
"Oh, he has a fever of 103, but that isn't much for a baby!" she replied.

!!!!!!!!!!!! and she was held up as an example of a 'good' parent to me by another sister in the ward!!!!!

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 03:34PM

I'm going to be petty here, but I hope she wears her stupid looking haircut to court.

Alas! I'm afraid the chances are very good she will win, or at the worst pay a fine and have her wrist slapped.

Alaska has some of the highest rates of domestic violence, rape, alcoholism, and incest in the nation.

She'll play her "I'm a Mormon, I don't drink" card and everyone will be impressed.

As long as she did not sexually abuse her kids while drunk or high, she will look like a good mom.

P.S. Just to clarify, I am NOT DEFENDING this horrible woman. I watched the tapes she sent to Dr. Phil, and she is clearly getting off on the POWER and CONTROL she has over this child.

Posted by: tillamook ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 04:58PM

I think it is great that Mormons are defending abusive behavior. This will simply expose the abusive mentality common in MormonDUMB to the world.

Do you think parents reading those kinds of rationalizations will let their children be around Mormon families? People will rightfully associate Mormonism with abusive behavior and dishonest rationalizations.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 05:28PM

Mormons don't realize how bizarre their thinking sounds to the rest of the world. The more they speak out in public, the better.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 06:05PM

parenting discipline techniques to the for front and forcing people to pay attention and hopefully, reevaluate how they are doing and if it's working and if it's reasonable and rational.
I am not surprised that some people support the woman and her methods. I've heard and read documented horror stories working with child custody cases and with social services working with wards of the court.

The woman was asking for help...little did she know, out of pure ignorance, I presume, that this would become a national case with all eyes on her, Alaska and Russia. Hopefully, something positive will come out of this.

Lots of questions....
Will she keep the child? Will she be put on probation? Will she serve jail time? Will she be convicted of a felony? Will she and her husband be ordered to take parenting classes?
Will Russia stop US adoptions over this case?

It can and does get much, much worse. I just read this and about lost my lunch.
Mom Charged in Kids' Slayings Treated at Hospital
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/28/police-army-wife-julie-powrs-schenecker-killed-kids-for-being/?icid=maing|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk3|40123

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 06:48PM

I hope this little guy's pain at least saves some other children from going through something similar. Obedience is not a virtue in and of itself (although many Mormons certainly seem to think it is).

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 09:15PM

... how opinions change.

Timothy

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 10:29AM

LMAO, if that blog was intended to defend that mom it's failed. All the comments suggesting she die and recieve large amounts of torture herself aren't exactly supportive.

Posted by: anonmiss ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 10:45AM

That mom was inflicting abuse on her son. The end. There is no way to justify that. I can't even think about that video without starting to tear up. He was in so much pain.

I felt sorry for the human race as I watched it.

Then felt more sure in my choice to work with kids, many of whom are abused at home.

I hope this woman learns and changes, but most of all, I hope the child is taken care of and can heal.

We have a long way to go. Anyone who defends her behavior does too. A looooooong way.

Ouch in my heart.

Posted by: Gia ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 11:20AM

Mormons have a habit of defending the craziest actions when it comes to one of their own, especially when a story hits the newspapers.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 12:25PM

When it first came out, the mormons were demonizing her (at least on the babycenter blog).
Now it seems that because she has been identified as a mormon, the mormons all love and support her.

Posted by: AnonForNow ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 06:05PM

JoD3:360 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When it first came out, the mormons were
> demonizing her (at least on the babycenter blog).
> Now it seems that because she has been identified
> as a mormon, the mormons all love and support her.

Isn't that how it worked with "Brother" Pratt too?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 12:33AM

I saw that video clip and was disgusted by what that woman did to her adopted son.

Imagine if she also kept a thick wooden stick beside the fridge and beat her boy with it until he had welts on his back and defensive bruises on his arms like my Mormon mother did.

Posted by: Moira (NotLoggedIn) ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 03:06AM

I lived in Russia and Central Asia. I know how these children are treated in the orphanages, not to mention the prevalence of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and other problems. I hope this child did indeed go to a different caring and capable family.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 08:58AM

The littlest one, Sasha, has Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) as do a great majority of Russian adoptees. It is not possible for the average American to understand the horror that comes with parenting such a damaged child. At one point, Sasha collected lighters (God knows where she found them). When I confronted her, she became enraged/psychotic and threatened to kill me by "burning the house down while everyone was asleep."

You know what? I BELIEVED HER.

If I remember correctly, the little boy in Alaska threatened the same thing.

I am not defending that abusive hot-saucing/cold-showering monster of a mother AT ALL, but you can bet she was overwhelmed. I'm sure the woman *really* believed that all she needed to "fix" her broken child was The Gospel. (Hell, I believed that once, too! And I was a Mental Health Counselor for Severely Emotionally Disturbed children - with a specialization in RAD!!)

Russia has shut down international adoptions in the past, once because more than a dozen Russian orphans were murdered by American parents who could not cope with the violent/pathological behaviors of their adopted children. The Russian government follows their children for a couple of years after they leave the country. A licensed social worker has to do 4 post-placement visits/interviews with the family. I wonder what idiot SW was "passing" the hot sauce mom?

This woman scares me because she is so cunning. She abused her child (no question there!) but did it in a way that left no marks. That tells me that she and her disturbed little boy have been locked in a battle of violent wills - probably since the time her plane disembarked from Moscow.

As a stake primary president, I'm sure she was extremely confident in her abilities to parent any child. It was her over-confidence that got her in trouble.

What this woman never fully grasped is that it is impossible to effectively parent a child with Reactive Attachment Disorder. Their little brains are not wired correctly . . . and, sadly, never will be.

Shannon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 09:10AM by shannon.

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 09:15PM

You don't have to have any training to be a Bishop/Stake President/Primary President-just accept the "calling' and the Lord will show you the way-right!!! My question, how many other Mormon women are getting away with the same thing-because the more kids you have absolutely makes you a better MOM-RIGHT???

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.