Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 06:29PM

Here is my Letter: (sent to Dodge and my Exec sec)

Name
Addy
Phone

Record Number: 000-0000-3440

Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

This letter is my formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it is effective immediately. I hereby withdraw my consent to being treated as a member and I withdraw my consent to being subject to church rules, policies, beliefs and 'discipline'. As I am no longer a member, I want my name permanently and completely expunged from the membership rolls of the church.

My resignation should be processed immediately, without any 'waiting periods' to include the 30 waiting period described in the instruction manual. I am not going to be dissuaded and I am not going to change my mind and have fully researched and prayed over this decision, and I am convinced that the story told by Joseph Smith is a fabrication. I also understand the consequences of these actions to include the cancelation of all ordinances. I expect this matter to be handled promptly, with respect and with full confidentiality and discussed with only those members who are handling this name removal. After today, the only contact I want from the church is a single letter of confirmation to let me know that I am no longer listed as a member of the church.

Furthermore I request record numbers 000-0000-3602 and 000-0000-3610 also be removed as both of my parents are non-members.

Failure to comply with these requests will result in legal action.

Sincerely,
Silhoutette

Response:

"We forwarded you letter to the Bishop and Stake Pres. You name in this database is critical to your eternal salvation and they will contact you to handle this. We strongly urge you to reconsider and here is that stupid pamphlet!"

Great. lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 06:44PM

Fantastic.

I assume they didn't quite call it a stupid pamphlet.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 11:00PM

You know, the same way the spirit lets people know how to answer the questions that SHOULD have been asked?

:D

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 08:07PM

I sent mine in by email last week, mine said basically what yours did, no contact, etc. And I got a letter from them in the mail saying the same thing, they will forward my request to the locaal bishop, etc. The funny thing is that I never gave them my address in the email, but they knew where to send the letter. Spooky thing, that is.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:09PM

It's a game. They can remove you, but they wont. It's a pressure thing. STAND YOUR GROUND!

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 08:17PM

When and how did this 'resignation' option begin? When I wanted my name taken off their records in 1972, I was told that it could only be done by excommunication.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 11:01PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 01:27AM

Me too. I think it was the 90s. Someone in another church wanted to resign and was disciplined instead. They sued for slander and the courts said there had to be a way to resign.

Posted by: lucinda ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 10:15PM

Congratulations!!

Date: October 06, 2010 11:59PM

I'm being harassed already by people dropping by at 9 at night, and crap stuck to my door. No phone call yet!

Posted by: Hopi Bon! ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 10:14AM

What's hilarious is there is a church employee whose job it is to back up that precious database. And you KNOW he thinks he's doing the "Lard's Work"!

Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 08:59AM

>>Your name in this database is critical to your eternal salvation<<

Would a living god really require there to be a series of 1s and 0s sitting on an old IBM AS4000 in Salt Lake City in order for a person to receive eternal salvation. What if there is a system crash......OH THE HORROR, THE HUMANITY! Just imagine all those people damned to eternal hellfire because some sleepy COB database administrator forgot to upgrade the operating system and delayed a server replacement too long.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 10:03AM

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 12:14PM

I resigned last spring, and that first letter came within a few days. It took about two months to get the final confirmation letter, since that step depends on the local bishop (and I imagine most of them are very busy). The good thing is you're legally resigned at this point and they're just doing busy work. :)

Date: October 07, 2010 05:44PM

Yeah, I doubt the "legally resigned" part means anything to them. I might have to start branishing firearms at my front door when they show up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.