Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:39PM

I was told in church in the late 80s that California was so wicked, one day it would break off and fall into the ocean. All the inhabitants would die. This concerned me, because my aunt moved to California in 1988. I wondered if God would spare the area because she was righteous. Looking back, this wasn't doctrine, just another cultural myth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:06PM

It comes from a misunderstanding of how tectonic plates work. The San Andreas fault is one that slides side-by-side, rather than one where it buckles under the other one.

From my limited understanding, it appears that LA and SF will be next to each other in a few million years.

But then we add the mormon twist onto it about wickedness and we have a typical FPL (faith promoting lie)

Posted by: Jolly Roger ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:29PM

utahstateagnostics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> From my limited understanding, it appears that LA
> and SF will be next to each other in a few million
> years.
>

Much to the chagrin of the folks in SF... ;)

Posted by: ExPapist (nli) ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 10:22PM

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:34PM

Yeah, the fault is north/south, so not dropping anywhere. It's not new or starting now. For example, there is half of a remaining volcano in Pinnacles National Monument in Northern California... The other half is down in the Southern California area. Saying that San Francisco and LA are going to meet is a play on that continuation.

Memorial Stadium at UC Berkeley was just seismic retrofitted. There's a fault that runs directly under it. Interesting stuff from geology and architecture points of view.

And an OT Steely Dan reference: When California tumbles into the sea, that's when I'll go back to Annandale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2013 10:55AM by jpt.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:51PM

PART of California (the part west of the San Andreas fault) is moving north, and will eventually break off of North America... in somewhere around 150 million years! (To put that in perspective, Homo Sapiens have existed for only around 200,000 years, so in around 750 times as long as the human race has existed!) It will NOT, however, sink into the ocean (since continental crust is less dense than, and thus never sinks below, oceanic crust) much more likely it will break up and become an island chain, not unlike Japan. After another hundred million years, or so, it will collide with what is now Alaska and rejoin the continent.

I was a geology major for a while, and I'm still kind of a nerd about stuff like that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2013 01:56PM by nickname.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:54PM

Some say the end is near
Some say we'll see armageddon soon
I certainly hope we will
I sure could use a vacation from this

Bllsh#t, three ring, circus sideshow of freaks

Here in this hopeless f#cking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away
Any f#cking time, any f#cking day
Learn to swim, see you down in Arizona bay

Fret for your figure, and
Fret for your latte, and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your hairpiece, and
Fret for your prozac, and
Fret for your pilot, and
Fret for your contract, and
Fret for your car

It's a bullsh#t, three ring, circus sideshow of freaks!

(Lyrics by Tool)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2013 01:54PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 02:09PM

Yes, beautiful downtown Barstow will be the new sea shore! LOL.

Posted by: greengobbledyguck ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 02:48PM

i'm still waiting for yellowstone to blow. cali wont fall off it'll get flattened by the rockies.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 05:43PM

Except for Alask and Hawaii, California will be the state least affected by supercano yellowstone.

Because you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Posted by: MegaGamersUnite34 ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 04:46PM

Cali will not fall into the ocean on my part it will end up getting flattened by the Rockies and this makes me sad because my biological dad lives in Hollywood and i never got to meet him.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 04:49PM

This Friday, May 29th. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will be saving people when it happens.

Go watch San Andreas when it is released and all your questions will be answered.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 05:37PM

That'll be the day I go back to Annandale

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 05:42PM

After CA breaks off and slides into the Pacific, the resulting tidal waves will wipe out Utah....so karma will have had it's way with all the self righteous TBM's who think they are untouchable.

RB

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 08:03PM

Also, Utah would be even more screwed if the Yellowstone supervolcano blew because it's more in the path than California is. Utah, especially the area by the Wassatch range is itself a ticking time bomb for earthquakes, and since buildings there weren't exactly designed with earthquakes in mind, it's another reason those holier than thou Utah TBM's shouldn't be too quick to gloat.

I don't know about other geology nerds, but a huge pet peeve is when people talk about earthquake weather when it's unseasonably hot in southern California. There is no such thing as earthquake weather.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 06:42PM

Mormons don't like it when they're sitting in Boring 3-hour meetings, while others, 'heathens' are having fun, even if that fun is risky. Apparently the Mormon 'god' believes/practices Group (California, state-wide) Blame, which is bible & BoM supported. Little or no individual responsibility in Mormonism, particularly for TBMs.

when I was LDS I avoided rock climbing, sky diving, bungee jumping, even going in a balloon... because 'I was needed', and I might have 'unfinished business'.

Drinking alcohol, other drugs, base jumping are risky choices, but sitting in mind-numbing church is Guaranteed to hurt & eventually destroy you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 09:36PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 10:10PM

No, see, California will stay and the rest of the country will fall into the Atlantic.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 10:14PM

In two days (28 May 2105) when the planets align if you believe the loonies. Wonder what they will say when this earthquake doesn't happen. I've seen this several times in my Facebook feed.
http://factually.gizmodo.com/will-a-planetary-alignment-cause-a-9-8-earthquake-this-1706933982

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 01:12AM

And the movie San Andreas is being released in 3 days. Coincidence? I think not! :)

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 01:14AM

scarecrowfromoz is right, Thursday's the day it all goes down. I'm going to Costco tomorrow to stock up. Party in the rubble on Friday! Bring your own ammo....

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 01:26AM

They were spouting this crap in the 1970's, too.

Later, a TBM relative raged on about how evil Los Angeles was. Until one of his relatives (by marriage) moved there and it suddenly became a great place to live.

BcE

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 27, 2015 01:56AM

I thought God had it scheduled for immediately prior to his wiping Missouri clean of inhabitants so Mormons can return to build the New Jerusalem for Jesus to live in. A friend of the family retired to Saint George many years ago and went to a stake conference where some minor visiting GA told all the members to get in their food supply because they would need it to assist those fleeing the destruction on the coast. He also advised those building houses to consider making them a bit bigger to house those homeless from CA. No word if the GA made his living in construction in that area.

However, my mom's favorite quote (and she is TBM) is "from my house it shall go forth" which she interprets to mean God is coming for Salt Lake City first. When I point out that it's been "going forth" for many years, all over the world, she just shrugs and says she means the really bad, end-of-the-world stuff. Yeah, Mom, tell it to Nepal. But TBMs better hope God isn't basing his reign of terror on how wicked people are because the God they claim to worship HATED hypocrisy and the Wasatch front breeds hypocrites like the Salt Lake breeds brine shrimp. I think he'd leave California be and give Mormons the same @ss whooping he gave those desecrating the temple. Although, with the drought and the groundwater being sucked up, California may just sink into the ocean - no earthquake required.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.