Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonsc ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:32PM

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/14-year-old-boy-dies-at-Scout-camp/hfnei30f_0qwldMU5ot41g.cspx

Assistant Scout Master for Troop 1197, Jason Hess told ABC 4 Utah, "It was really neat to see how well the boys responded. Obviously they're really emotional about what happened but it's been terrific to see how the boys have rallied around one another, supporting each other."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:35PM

Yeah, supper cool! Sheesh!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:56PM

Come on people you can't expect these boys to fall apart just because they see their friend killed. They have not had male emotion modeled for them, thankfully. They have been taught and will continue to be taught to stuff those emotions deep down in their gut. After all, someday they may be a bishop and when someone sits across their desk in tears because his/her life is falling apart, it will be harder to find the blame and assign the guilt if they have experienced grief themselves.

Just to be fair, this is not just a church or scout phenomenon, it is societal. Boys must soldier on.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:03PM

I think the point is that the comment was very poorly worded - maybe Mr. Hess should have said something like "the boys have bravely soldiered on in the face of a very painful event." I don't think anyone here expected the boys to fall apart as a testimony to their love for their friend - the "jawdropping" observation seemed mainly directed at the chipper tone of the commenting scout leader, which was inappropriate to the circumstance being discussed.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:10PM

Utah is called "The Bermuda Triangle of Scouting."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 05:14PM

*available in Utah only

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 05:22PM

If I were that other mother, I'd have told my son, "Nah. You're not going back to camp. You can help me paint the house, or your uncle has a job for you at his business, or you can get paid to clear up trash for the city, or just about anything else...."

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 05:29PM

I think the reporter was a bit negligent in his or her reporting of the article myself. He could have used a better quote than "It was really neat ..."

He could have focused on the life and personality of the boy. The way he wrote the story, the boy seemed almost secondary.

Posted by: qwerty6pack ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 05:31PM

At a funeral "we want to thank ------- for his life and bringing us together"

That sentence, combined with his goofy grin had many of us asking. "Did he really just thank ------ for dying?"

That's the way it felt, just creepy.

I saw the scout story on the news, and this guy had the same goofy, slap happy delivery.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 05:40PM

Oh no! That is so horribly sad to hear. Poor young man. That does sound creepy.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 05:44PM

the entire article is confusing and stupid. They make it sound like no one even knows exactly how the f@ck the poor kid died. As if no one noticed. Craptastic reporting at its best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2013 05:52PM by darksided.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 05:56PM

You criticize the word "neat" I am guessing because you think it is trivial. In the context of the death of a young boy, this entire conversation where we criticize how a grieving man phrased something is significantly more trivial.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 06:49PM

The article sounds like part and parcel of what I have read here about the kinds of things that get said at LDS funerals.

The person himself is trivialized and the death is just one more faith-promoting event.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.