Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrsostrike ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:44AM

My best friend in the whole world (more like my brother) is a nevermo and he and his mom live in AZ. They live within walking distance of 5 LDS wards. The bishop of the ward in their area came to their house after they moved in and met my best friend who is very outwardly and proudly homosexual. (I love him for that.) After a very brief interation, the Bishop left. Since then they have been visited by countless missionaries and been invited to dinner at the Bishop's house. Well the declined every time. The bishop stopped by recently, and my friend's mom answered the door. The Bishop basically said that he knew of a place in Utah where she could send her son to have his "problem" fixed. (his being gay.) She said F&*$ you!! and slammed the door in his face. My friend called me after the incident seething with anger. I felt so embarassed for ever having been mormon and apologized to him through tears. I told him I loved him for who he was, and to forgive me for having lived in that ignorance. He told me to stop being ridiculous. I still felt terrible and angry at that stupid bishop!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:48AM

Amen!!!! What an $#%@*! Where does he get off? And they are not EVEN LDS!!!

Date: July 27, 2013 01:49AM

I know... some serious balls on that guy. Jerky,stupid, rude, and ignorant balls.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:53AM

Incredible arrogance. Bishops assuming that people want to fix things that aren't broke.

However, if I were gay I would never, ever,ever move to a place where 5 mormon churches were within walking distance. That seems like asking for trouble.

Your friend is lucky to have you and their mother. Especially given the fact that they live smack in the middle of a mormon hornets nest.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 10:05AM

I'll be damned if I let the hate mongers dictate where I live. If the Mormons want trouble, bring it on. Gays did not get where they are by running away from a fight.

It is funny though, I read the story and wondered why the word "poor" was used. Considering his mother's reaction, I would say they guy is lucky.

Date: July 27, 2013 02:03AM

Is it just me, or does it strike others that this LDS OVEREACTION to homosexuality (what am I saying - to any sort of sexuality?), hides some sort of hidden fear that something could be catching, or transfer a terrible illness, or something? I mean, when will they just get OVER the fact that sex HAPPENS!! When and how and with whom is the choice of the person, but it HAPPENS!! Please give your friend, his Mum and yourself a BIG G'day hug from me!!

Date: July 27, 2013 02:08AM

Thanks fluhist (I'm so glad to see you around the boards still btw.) I will give them that hug!!

The moved to AZ from the CA bay area for a job. Its proving to have been more of a hassle than a blessing.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 08:26AM

"Is it just me, or does it strike others that this LDS OVEREACTION to homosexuality (what am I saying - to any sort of sexuality?), hides some sort of hidden fear that something could be catching, or transfer a terrible illness, or something? I mean, when will they just get OVER the fact that sex HAPPENS!! When and how and with whom is the choice of the person, but it HAPPENS!"

After reading how mormon church and temple services go and hearing mormons at work talk about their weekends w/Scouts and church...I truly believe there are MANY closeted gay mormons.

The men spend most of their time with MEN and the women spend most of their time with WOMEN.

There are many effeminate mormons at work who try hard to over compensate.

Date: July 27, 2013 02:16AM

Thankyou mrostrike, I appreciate your kind thoughts, I am glad to be here too, especially when I hear such unbeleivable stories as this, and get to say my piece.

I am sorry you are not enjoying your move, but hang in there, I am sure it will get better for you. Your new friend and his Mum sound wonderful.

By the way tell him I am SO impressed with his answer to you apology about ever having beleived in the Church. "Don't be so ridiculous!!"
I LOVE IT!!!! YOu have a gem of friend there!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 08:42AM

That bishop is in such a bubble he is even insulated from LDS Inc. they backed off on demonizing gays 4 years ago, and this guy is apparently so bad at reading the Mormon wind, that he has no idea.

Sorry your friend was treated poorly by the bishop, but at least it dispel the idea that Mormons may be a little odd, but at least they are nice people. Some are, but it is in spite of the Mormon con game.

Posted by: canadianbeaver ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 09:57AM

"She said F&*$ you!! and slammed the door in his face."

Yay for your best friend's mom!

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 10:21AM

LOL @ "problem." Your best friend's mom is awesome, though, and the bishop is an ass.

+1 about lots of Mormons being closeted...especially a lot of the men...it's really a pretty homoerotic place. Some of the men in church seemed to love JS a little *too* much, if you know what I mean. I always wished they could just get out there and be themselves, but the church is a prison. I also think the church is a very easy place to be closeted (as in an easy place to hide it), because any sexual activity, of ANY kind, on a date is frowned upon, and nobody tends to suspect anyone else who's active of being gay because homosexuality is looked at as some evil Satan-worshipping inactive/nonmo problem, and they all have a super stereotypical idea of what being gay means (extreme effeminacy for men, extreme masculinity for women). Gay members in the church wouldn't fit into their idea that active members=good, everyone else=DRIVEN BY SATAN. There's assumed to be no sexual tension between people of the same sex, so you can hang all over people of the same sex and nobody suspects a thing. Other "sisters" and I used to cuddle and embrace all throughout SM and RS and have sleepovers where we held each other all night and stroked each other's hair and laid on top of each other "playfully." No TBMs ever even slightly suspected me of being gay. Because I was Of the Church!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 10:48AM

Such nerve. Recommending a place so this friend could be "fixed". Mormons get involved in way too much and speak as tho they are all powerful. Butt out and go pick on baptized Mormons who then also may get in your face and finally t ell you to ___OFF!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 03:18PM

Perhaps the mom could have responded that she knows of a place where the bishop can get "fixed."

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 09:33PM

Just be glad it was an encounter with Mormons. If it were moslems, they'd be trying to kill him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.