Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rd4jesus ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 10:19PM

I used to be really submissive and when someone with any authority, including my wife, told me to do something, I would give in. Party because I didn't want a fight, party because this was what I had been brainwashed by the Morg to do.
I found a non-LDS friend and started telling her about my questions with the Morg. She asked me some real hard questions in regards to not standing up for myself and helped me to realize that not stading up for myself was making me sick. I started standing up to people (and boy do they hate it) but all of a sudden, I feel empowered and liberated for the first time in my life.
Has anyone else experienced something like this since leaving TSCC?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 10:28PM

Yes, absolutely! I'm still a pretty agreeable person, but it feels so good to just say what I think instead of beating around the bush. I used to be so frightened to speak my mind, and it's really nice to feel myself get stronger.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 05:49AM

No not for a while that;s for sure. It all happened at the sametime as my marriage breakdown and I was too gutted by it all to anything but basically function for a while, and THAT was an enormous effort! In time I eventually went back to the confident person I was before marriage. I am now very comfortable in my saggy skin!!

Its a good question, I am sure it is so different for everyone!

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 06:16AM

I was always fairly confident and assertive in my career, but on Sundays, I would turn into a different person. I was silent, meek, and unhappy in the Mormon community. This made me feel extremely uncomfortable, and it confused by children. When I decided to set the same boundaries with Mormons that I set with normal people, the Mormons did not like that. All I was doing was taking back my basic rights: the right to say "no" to work I was not being paid for, the right to choose my family first, the right to stay home and take care of myself or my kids when we were sick, and the right to have a day off, once in a while.

When you become more self-confident, you often lose the friends who depended on you to follow their orders. I stopped playing the piano and organ for them, and rehearsing with them, whenever they felt like it. They found someone else to do all that, and they had no further use for me.

When I divorced my wife-beater temple husband, he threatened suicide, but he found someone else within a few weeks, and he beat her, too.

I was criticized and made to feel bad about standing up for myself and my children. We were threatened, then shunned. Then, we were replaced, and forgotten.

It is true that when you become happy/successful, you lose some of your old friends. Never feel guilty about that. Growth is part of life, and you can not sacrifice that for someone else.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 08:58AM

Most definitely.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.