Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 07:58PM

"The value of religion speaks less through sermons and more through the soup kitchens, hospitals, schools and countless other humanitarian works it nurtures. Simply put, religion builds social capital. Research shows that more than 90 percent of those who attend weekly worship services donate to charity, and nearly 70 percent volunteer for charitable causes.[3] Such giving also benefits the giver. According to the landmark study American Grace, “the correlation between religiosity and life satisfaction is powerful and robust.”[4]"
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/relevance-religion

And how does LDS Inc. stack up in this dept?
"soup kitchens, hospitals, schools and countless other humanitarian works"

Epic. All. Hands. Mormon. Fail.

On the other hands, lots of PR volunteers and a mall! Go Team!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 27, 2013 12:23PM

Topping because people should read this and realize what a scam Mormonism is. In this article it is sucking things from other faiths and attempting to legitimize their cult. Disgusting. So glad I can see the writing on their temple wall.

Posted by: kokaubeammeup ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:53PM

Gotta laugh at how everything the church does charitably (not much) includes an article touting they did it and those ugly vests so people know they did it. Ah alms in front of men. I bet the actual percent of tithing and church revenue that goes to charitable work is ultra low.

Oh, and when I used to work with homeless people in Provo, non-Mormons hated the Mormons even more because they couldn't get any help from bishops or the church without massive strings attached.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 02:03PM

I don't the inner workings of other religions as well as I know Mormonism. Mormonism is a fantastic example of a business profiting off of the tax exempt status of the church laws.

Charity becomes a PR and when capitalized they do the absolutely least to their expenses (donated time, goods, and services of its' followers) for the absolutely most for its' finances (goodwill in high-profile events wearing vests, hoping for a photo on the front page or a TV interview about all the Church does to give).

Capitalized Christianity, the Mormon church.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 02:04PM

Reminds me of that Businessweek article which calculated that the Morg spends somewhere around 0.7% of their estimated earnings on charitable projects. ( http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-10/how-the-mormons-make-money#p5 )

Date: July 27, 2013 02:11PM

I think they can get that down to 0.5% if they press a little harder for people sacrificing their time into operational matters. More Senior missionaries doing work that is currently paid. There is still a little fat on those operations bones.

Let's shoot for 0.5%

Date: July 27, 2013 04:22PM

0.5% for their charity and charge 10% for their membership to "give to charity." LOL! What a scam.

Date: July 27, 2013 04:26PM

People pay 10% to participate in an exclusive club where they clean their building, run their operations (neglecting family in the process)and then put on vests to go out and "help" at disasters that are getting media attention.

Only the power of cult could compel such poor judgement.

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 04:40PM

You build social capital by participating in any frequently-meeting club, volunteer effort, etc. Perhaps you could find a charity that would gratefully accept whatever amount of time and money YOU feel like giving them, and use your resources to help people without guilting you because you aren't good enough.

Tomorrow I will participate in an outreach event for a group I volunteer with. The group is heavily Christian but focused on an actual social need. I'm taking the Sunday shift so the churchgoers can church go. We don't share a religion, but we all agree that what we do is important.

Good people. Worthy cause. No guilt whatsoever.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 04:42PM

all paid for by the taxpayers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.