Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soon_to_be_homeless ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 06:19PM

My family fell upon hard times and we're living with my TBM inlaws. DW and I fortunately have work but we're underpaid. MIL took this to the Bishop and Bishop told her to tell us to get a 2nd job and if we're still not making enough to get a 3rd job. We're living in a place where unemployment is nearly 9%. It took DW and myself both a long time to find a job. I've worked two jobs before and it nearly always drives me to a point where I cannot handle it mentally and I start to lash out at people.
Seriously, I'd really like to tell the Bishop to mind his own business (I'm not even a member) and shut the F up!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: disobedient ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 06:21PM

Grinding the faces of the poor.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 07:04PM

Tell the bishop that it was mitts idea to destroy the job market by buying companies, raping them, and sending the jobs overseas.

It continues to be blamed on the people for not working hard enough, with little mention of the destruction of unions, and therefore working conditions for everyone.

The 1% have raped this country and they have no idea how close they are drawing this country to a revolution. The figurative torches and pitchforks are coming. There will be a day when the ultra rich will be deemed what they are, unpatriotic pigs.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 07:37PM

Do a search on the Ashkenazi line. Then connect to past and present world leaders. There's also a masonic connection.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:48AM

Drink Kool-aid much?

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:16AM

Imagine when the missionaries, home teachers or unwelcome realtives want to visit but can't find your residence 'cause its moved!!!

Posted by: mormonnomore ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 07:25PM

I'm almost surprised he has not asked you to pay tithing to earn some blessings even though you are not a member ;-) The LDS church wants your money first and foremost. They want to keep building on their vast investments and the Apostles need more vacation homes...

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 09:03PM

It's not the jobs or the bishop - looks like your MIL is telling you very politely to move out.

Having another family live in one's home is terribly inconvenient and takes away all privacy. This rarely works out as a long term arrangement.
Take the hint and make other arrangements, even if you have to rent a shed.
You have imposed on your in-laws long enough.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 09:32PM

I'm sorry things are going so badly for you right now.

You are right, the bishop has nothing to add to your situation but common platitudes. It's too bad you have to hear that your family is talking about you behind your back. Many Mormons have very weak personal boundaries and seem to lack common respect.

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:04AM

The MIL no doubt went to the bish for advise on what to do about adult kids who have overstayed their welcome.

And he probably told her to insist that dear son-in-law get an additional job to expedite their moving out.

Can't say I blame the MIL.
Common respect, courtesy and boundaries would indicate that it's time for you to MOVE OUT.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:00AM

Isn't this one of those 'passive-aggressive' things? MIL needs to have a frank, open talk directly with her daughter and SIL, instead of running to a so-called 'bishop' to whine and complain.

Date: July 27, 2013 12:15AM

I didn't mention that we pay them rent. What we pay them in rent is 10% of our monthly income. DW is TBM and pays another 10% (of her income only) to TSCC. We have six children. Inlaws begged us to move in with them to help with invalid FIL. It's not a case of needing to grow a set. It's more a case of being begged to come live with them, then having the rug pulled out from under us. We have jobs, we're saving up. We live in a small town where work is scarce and we're even lucky to have one job. Finding a 2nd or a 3rd would be extremely difficult, while not entirely impossible. I guess I sound like a "nancy" or a moocher with all this. I didn't explain the entire situation, however. I'm about ready to move my family into a homeless shelter.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:23AM

Some of the posters here have strong opinions based on their own agendas. We all unfortunately have to learn to ignore those who make unwarranted assumptions.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your life back on track.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:54AM

I'm sorry about your situation, I'm sure it's extremely stressful. I hope that you are able to find a solution that doesn't involve going to a homeless shelter; I've heard that people are often robbed, molested/raped, and contract diseases in shelters. If you do end up in one, hopefully it will be one with separate rooms for each family to avoid these situations. One thing to consider--have you thought about seeking jobs in other areas that have less unemployment and perhaps lower cost of living?

Date: July 27, 2013 01:25AM

I don't know if this is true of most places, but in Utah the cost of living seems to be inversely proportional to the unemployment rate. For example, there are more jobs in SLC, but the cost of living is much higher. I'm in rural Utah. There are jobs here, but not many. The cost of living is about half what it is in Salt Lake County. I've thought about moving back to SLC or Utah County but I like rural Utah (dont' want to say where I am).

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 01:58AM

There are 49 other states. Maybe you should look into that. Many of them have a much lower unemployment rate. Many of them have much better social services. Maybe its time to look outside of the mormon bubble.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 02:13AM

I'll agree that the bishop needs to keep his mouth shut, given his lack of familiarity with you or the situation. Don't let his stupid comment get to you. Are you more concerned that MIL went to him? Why is she talking with him about it to begin with?

Date: July 27, 2013 02:45AM

It bothers me that MIL is incapable of making any decision on her own; she differs to the Bishop on family matters. Did she differ to the Bishop when she initially asked us to move in? No. Why does she differ to him now? It's because she realizes that the situation is not to her liking but is too afraid to confront us directly. Perhaps if the Bishop can put the "fear of God" into us, we'll leave. Unfortunately for her, I reject the bishop's so-called priesthood authority. The simple fact that he makes a decision before gathering all the facts indicates to me that he's relying more on "personal revelation" than he is on logic. If such a thing as "personal revelation" actually exists, wouldn't it logically follow that a person's own critical thinking skills should be employed in conjunction with that "personal revelation"?
By doing this, he rejects the counsel of his own bible which admonishes that he "test all prophecies" including personal ones:

"Do not quench the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22)

He's a physical therapist by trade. How does that make him qualified to be clergy? That's what I would like to know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.