Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 10:05PM

I had my money on Phillip but George will do :). Very nice that they named him for Elizabeth's Dad.

NO POLITICS or nasty snarky comments in this thread please. And do NOT start yet another nasty snarky thread about the Brits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 10:07PM

Ahem...didn't they think he will be called "Boy George" in grammar school - won't he be teased just a bit?

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 10:08PM

Remember as you grow up and play with your neighborhood friends that none of us were sent by God to rule over anybody. That "divine-right-of-kings" notion went bye-bye during the Enlightenment. Please don't take that as a political statement; it's not. It's a religious one.

You might be interested to know, however, that Mormons have regarded it as their "divine right" to rule the world. I suspect that any smart kid like you can see through that poo-poo. Still, Mormonism's founder, Joseph Smith, was of the view that God had ordained him King of the World. Like, can you believe it???

Anyway, as noted in the "John Whitmer Historical Association Journal," 32, No. 2 (Fall/Winter 2012):52-58.1:

"In 1844, in central Illinois at Nauvoo, he [Smith] established a theocratic/political kingdom on the Mississippi. He envisioned himself as a king presiding over an empire that eventually would include not only America but the entire world. He organized a council of 50 men to help him realize his goal. Under his direction, this secretive body appears to have been given the responsibility of setting up satellite cells for this theocratic kingdom throughout the United States and the world."

When you get a bit older, George, and by then have learned how to read, here's the "MormonThink" link to the details:

http://mormonthink.com/grant8.htm

In the meantime, enjoy your new life, don't let it go to your cute little head and you needn't worry that folks here on RfM will someday end up baptizing you for the dead. It's not our "divine right."

Rock-a-bye-baby on!

:)

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 10:44PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 10:33PM

Only nice things to say. What I saw of him (top of his head, several fingers) looked adorable. I think he'll get plenty of love, and that's the most important thing. Strange that I even care; my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War. But I can also trace my English ancestry back to 1550, so I'll always have a link to England. Good luck, little prince.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 10:36PM

Prince George Alexander, is that you?

http://imgur.com/V4AoAa4

Just kidding. Happy 2nd day on earth!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 10:39PM

Oh so it is for her DAD....that is nice. I was hoping for George too but George Michael Spencer. Where does the Louis come from...not up on the Brits.

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 10:44PM

I was hoping for the child to be named for one of Kate's parents, and one of William's relatives. Not his Dad, who has always bugged me.

I do think most first time parents are usually so excited/overwhelmed/exhausted etc. that they don't always choose the best names.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 10:45PM

Date: July 24, 2013 11:03PM

Michael is her -Kate's- Dad's name I hear...so I had put that in as my preference. Then Spencer for Diana's brother. Get a commoner name in there sometime...somebody please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 11:04PM by honestone.

Posted by: maureen ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 11:48PM

I'm guessing that Louis is for Louis Mountbatten, Prince Philip's uncle. And William also has Louis as one of his names.

M.

Date: July 25, 2013 12:15AM

Yep, that is true. Just read about that.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 02:22AM

Lord Louis Mountbatten the uncle of Prince Philip and foster grandfather of Prince Charles. He was assassinated by the IRA

Posted by: canadianbeaver ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 10:47PM

I suspect people are celebrating in Prince George, BC - a small city in northern BC. I'd celebrate too - any reason for a beer!

What will baby #PrinceGeorge mean for B.C. city?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/07/24/bc-storify-prince-george.html

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 11:14PM

Funny you should mention that - I'm sitting in a hotel room in Prince George right now! Driving into the city this afternoon, there was lots of talk on the local radio about the city's new namesake, and local people they interviewed seem to be pumped about it.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 11:05PM

Does this mean people are going to start naming their kid George again?

Posted by: canadianbeaver ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 11:06PM

Only the girls.

Date: July 25, 2013 12:16AM

George was a popular name in the 20's.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 07:43AM

SO THERE!

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 11:11PM

Oh enjoy it while you can they grow up so fast. Before you know it he'll be a stripling teenager sporting nazi regalia at parties.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 11:14PM

Sorta veering off topic here, but why do you suppose it is that the world still refers to Kate as "Kate Middleton" rather than "Duchess of Cambridge"? Diana was never referred to as "Diana Spencer".

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 02:30AM

Diana came from a well-known aristocratic family and had a title to begin with. So we were calling her Lady Di before she was married. It was easy to switch over to calling her Princess Di after she married Prince Charles. Also, Princess Diana was quite young when she became part of the royal family, so the public only knew her for a short time as Lady Diana.

I'm assuming since Kate Middleton was Kate Middleton for a long time before she married William, that she's still referred to by her maiden name. She was known by that name in the press for almost a decade, I believe. Plus, the British press talk about her and Prince William as "Wills and Kate" instead of by their formal titles. I think we're just becoming more familiar with royalty and we, as the adoring (or not) public, kept Prince Charles and Princess Diana at a greater distance from us in how we addressed them.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 11:18PM

George is for Queen Elisabeth's father of Kings Speech fame. Louis is his father's middle name, after his father's favorite great uncle. Alexander is his own personal, not after anybody name and the name he will probably use at school. I'm glad they stopped at three names. I remember Diana stumbling over that five names long moniker of Prince Charles.

I feel sorry for the poor little tike. He might have been born with a title and all the junk that goes with it, but a little boy doesn't care about any of that. If he picks his nose, somebody is going to photograph it and spread it around the world.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 11:19PM

Maybe he'll hook up with my new step grand daughter Henry Etta.

It's true. Her parents really did that to her. I hope she grows u to be beautiful because she's going to go through hell with that corny name

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 12:07AM

I know a woman named D'an. Early on computers wouldn't allow the hyphen and she got a notice to register for the draft. She was assigned male housing at BYU and had difficulty getting the new name at the temple.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 12:00AM

I think Louis is after the baby's father - isn't William named William Arthur Philip Louis? Maybe that is William's favorite of all his names. I think it is sweet they named him after the Queen's dad. Maybe Alexander was Katherine's choice. I knew they wouldn't name him after one of the Spencer's - not the heir to the throne anyway. It's my understanding that as much as the public loved Diana, the Spencer family isn't flavor of the month with the royals. Maybe next baby. I can't imagine that any girl they had wouldn't have the name Diana in there somewhere - but maybe they wouldn't want to put that much pressure on their daughter.

Posted by: Fluhist ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 12:03AM

Susi, thankyou SO much for this thread!!!!

George was not my choice, but hey it isn't up to me is it? He has been born into a loving family, what more could he want? He is a fortunate little fellow because of that, and his parents will be with him every step of the way to an uncertain future. Indeed the monarchy may not survive to see him become king, but that is up to the people of Britain and the commonwealth. I will certainly not be here to see it.

He has big shoes to fill if he is to follow his Great Grandfather. He was a shy man, never intended to be king, and only became that with the Duke of Windsor's abdication. He did not WANT to be king, and had filled his previous royal duties with great difficulty because of his intense shyness and speech impediment. However when he took on the mantle of the head of state, he did so with amazing courage and determination, and lead Britain through one of its worst parts of its history, WW11. He is a man I have always admired in history, because of the couage I felt it took him to lead as he did. He was also very fortunate in his wife, who stood by him all the way. The present Queen was far more ready for the crown than her father, but has handled with aplomb all the changes that have occured since she became queen.

So welcome to little George, and all the best little mate!!

Posted by: distinctly unimpressed ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 12:40AM

Thanks for this thread.

I'd guessed George Alexander. George is fairly traditional amongst the circles in which they move, and George (as Fluhist explained) is also a lovely nod to a man who sacrificed his health for his country.

He got away with only 3 names, too: they usually end up with 4.

Hopefully William will enjoy his statutory 2 weeks paid paternity leave with his new son, and Kate can chill in pj's at her parents' house. Just wish Diana had been around to enjoy Prince George too.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 12:41AM

I understand that "Louis" is for Lord Louis Mountbatten, an uncle of Prince Phillip's (Queen Elizabeth's husband). Mountbatten, interestingly, was a great-grandson of Queen Victoria's. He was known as a mentor and confidant of Prince Charles' as well as his great-uncle. That would make him great-great-uncle to Prince William, Charles' son.

As Prince William was already named for Louis Mountbatten, I was surprised that they used the name again, unless it is simply because it is one of his father's middle names.

George isn't my favourite name and I was surprised they made such an obvious choice (bookmakers had picked it as a top contender) but it is apparently for the Queen's father as well as all the previous King Georges that haven't disgraced themselves, unlike kings with other names.

Alexander, they are saying, is to represent Scotland, the name of a few of its former kings, but more likely because Kate and William met in Scotland, at university. They say that name was Kate's choice, which is a romantic gesture that a woman in love would make, it's easy to see. Alexandra, the female form of the name, is also one of Queen Elizabeth's middle names.

So they hit a few bases, although I thought they may include both grandfathers. Michael is a nice name and Phillip could make a string of names sound more royal.

Yeah, no surprise that Diana's brother's name was not chosen as he mouthed off at the Queen at Diana's funeral. No class. Despite representing ancient British aristocracy.

As for why people call Kate "Kate Middleton" even after her marriage - I think it is a reflection of her popularity as "just a regular girl" and that's how people in her home village knew her and loved her. I think it's very cute.

It seems that Kate and William already had boy and girl names in mind as they chose so quickly and now there is no more top news to come at the moment so here's hoping the three of them can relax and bond together, outside the glare of so much publicity.

I must say that seeing that cute little bundle of baby made me feel a bit maternal, but only for a minute! Who doesn't want to hold a babe's sweet little hand and kiss its darling little head.

Thanks for the "nice" thread. Nothing wrong with celebrating a safe delivery and a happy story, for once. Back to regular programming tomorrow perhaps.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 07:20AM

Seriously....

If I had to guess, I'd say they were referencing Charles L. Dodgson...

Date: July 25, 2013 07:21AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 07:22AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 06:12AM

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 01:52AM

I feel old, as I remember all the hoopla over prince william when he was born. Baby george will get something that william never did and that is two parents who love each other. Charles and camila the horse face made dianas marriage a window dressing. It seems unfair that charles and camila get to reap the joy of having a grandchild while diana, who tried to give her children a normal life, is in her grave. I think kates choice of the polka dot dress was a nod to diana.

Maybe I will live long enough to see baby georges first baby!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 02:34AM

Diana had her faults too. I don't think the failure of that marriage is all at Charles' door. Diana was manipulative,jealous and not all that stable.She also cheated on him before he cheated on her. Of course she had many good qualities as well and Charles has his share of faults. It was a a marriage that should never have happened as they had nothing in common and were not in love.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 01:59AM

I kind of hope they call him "Alex." It's a good, all-purpose name that will work from childhood through adulthood.

Welcome to our world, Little Prince, and may your parents enjoy every moment they have with you!

Date: July 25, 2013 07:16AM

Both of us, as tireless RFM investigators, made the perilous journey over to LDSfreedomforum.com in search of new material to assist a newer member of our community. I think we're both recovering from the hangover...

And I only dis' the Brits when I'm engaged in too much political stuff elsewhere and immersed in Orwell (easily, IMHO, the finest British essayist ever; I also like Churchill, too, BTW, but then he was half American).

Seems like the Brits themselves have some treasonous sorts in their midsts, however...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/07/23/here-are-the-five-best-british-tabloid-front-pages-on-the-royal-baby/

Posted by: lydia ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 07:38AM

The private eye headline made me laugh out loud! I think it probably reflects the view of the country in general. Happy for them as I would be for any couple. Good names. I was thinking it may have been Arthur.
George is still popular here, have had several go though my class

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 07:19AM

I totally called it. I deserve a cookie :)

Date: July 25, 2013 07:23AM

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 10:58AM

Yes! Thanks Susan :)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 07:23AM

I still have a People Magazine with baby William on the front when he turned 1. That seems like just yesterday.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 07:54AM

I missed the news yesterday and have been curious.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.