Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 09:38PM

So all my former mormon life, we were taught that it was "golden plates", but in the last few years I've heard MANY people referring to those mormons with their "golden tablets".
Way back when somebody told me to tell anyone getting it wrong that it was Moses with the stone tablets containing the short commandments, but Ol Joe had that nifty stack of a whole lot of plates of gold, how else could you get a whole book from some tablets, let alone not be lynched for that quantity of gold?
Of course there was plenty of "persecution" for that book made of golden pages stiff like plates, but surely it would have been worse if it was a pile of tablets.

What are they teaching now?
Do they want to encourage the connection with Moses by saying tablets?
Why am I hearing this? This is almost as "wrong" to my little mind as hearing them cozy up to Christians when we used to be taught to say "I'm not a Christian, I'm a mormon!"
And I mean "wrong" in a "this is just one more of those kooky mormon flip flops on an issue" kind of way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: earlyrm ( )
Date: July 24, 2013 09:42PM

You were taught to say you WEREN'T a christian?!?! Things have changed!!!

Date: July 24, 2013 09:43PM

Oh yes they have. I'm not even all that old, 35, but I have a looong memory. It's one of the things that helped me get out, all these little inconsistencies really piled up.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 07:01AM

I was taught that too. I'm only 24.

Date: July 25, 2013 09:11AM

Tablets? Anybody? These are people who know I grew up mormon but insist _I_ am the one getting it wrong, that it's definitely tablets these days. Did they phase out "plates"?
This is just bizarre to me.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 25, 2013 09:18AM

I used to hear people say "tablets" when they found out I was a Mormon. This was in the 1990s. I used to wonder where that came from too.

BTW, I was also taught to say "We're not Christian. We're Mormon!" back in the 1970s. I also remember when we were told not to say that anymore. That was in about 1979. Do what you're told. Forget previous contradictory directives.

Posted by: mustang5 ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 01:00AM

whom ever made us.at whatever point in history,whatever we evolved from. i hope that they are friendly,when we meet!! :)

now,down to business.my son got involved in the mormon religion,through two young women.that he met,wherever local.ended up marrying one.then the other girl hooked my other son.Damn!!! my youngest is now married. he done the mission thing. :( i wasn't impressed.anyway i opened up one of the books he left behind.i read no more than a few pages and closed it up to never open it again. i feel sorry for my son!! i didn't raise him in church,my wife and i. but i raised them with common sense i thought. i didn't shove religion on them.i knew that wasn't the way to do it. at least for my wife and i.i also feel for the now ,two grandchildren that are born into the MESS !!!!i am not a christian nor will i ever be.but i do have an open mind.and a lot of common sense.NO ONE MAN OR WOMAN CREATED THE EARTH THAT WE INHABIT!!! they are now finding structures that were built during a period where the indiginous peoples did not have the tools to accomplish these works.these same works were then abandoned. why??????? go figure. its going to get deep and muddy before its all over.but in the end no one is right. i'll leave with a statement.when the viking christians hit the shore of iceland, they gave them an ultimatum. CONVERT OR DIE!!!! that is fact not fiction. now what is christian again??? help us all. but to be honest,and everyone knows this.if they think at all.at some point, we will OUTGROW this world. figure this. at our current rate of growth,we double the world population every 12 years.we are now at 7 billion.figure it out to 5000 years,for that matter 2500. you are going to be amazed!!!! also figure, that just to stand up in a ( 3x3 ) 9 square feet, how much space we will take up just in land.with no buildings invovled. have a great night,and sleep well.
T

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 01:50AM

Is it just modern vernacular to say tablets?
At least it was not a golden I-pad.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 01:12PM

I don't specifically remember being taught to say "We are not Christian, we're Mormon". I DO remember however the church coming down hard on members and media in the late 90's or so that "We are NOT Mormons. We are members of the CJCLDS, which you can abbreviate as Latter-day saints". I think it was an effort to distance the church from the fundy offshoots. Then low and behold, here we are in the 2010's and we are suddenly..."Hey we are all Mormons!" Mormon.org, etc.
I'm confused!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 01:36PM

50 years ago the definition of a Christian in Mormon culture was a person that worshipped/prayed to christ.

Since Mormons pray to the father in the name of the son, many did not consider themselves Christian.

Later on came the whole drop the Mormon name thing.

Then came the we are Christians because we believe in the atonement thing.

Next week will be the meet the Kolobites thing.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 01:38PM

I've never heard the term "golden tablets".......
Im also 35, spent most of life here in the moridor. Though I don't remember being taught the mantra of "we are mormon, not christian" but I do remember having pride in the term "mormon" then suddenly they started pushing the whole "we aren't mormon, we are LDS". Interesting.

Posted by: vines of truth ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 05:01PM

The wolf in sheeps wool. The evil one has played a very large part in confusing the spirts of light. Jesus is the word and all other text is not of God.
I wish every spirit lost in the confussion could just read the Bible for themselfs. All of it. Not bits and pieces put together like " Bible Code". The celebration of the resurection has just passed and the people of "The Church" still do not hear the words..." it is finished". The word was in the beginning. No truths have been held back. Your spirit need to understand faith and grace.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 05:09PM

The evil one? Why are you commenting on old posts by telling us to read the bible? Most of us have read the bible, the ENTIRE bible. Go stand on a street corner, just don't go door to door, you may encounter an evil atheist or agnostic ex-mormon.

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 05:14PM

Ahhh faith. My favorite method to understand truth. Believe for the sake of belief.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 05:01PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 05:05PM

By the way, I was taught anti-Catholic and anti-Baptist propaganda by Mormons when young. It happened.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 27, 2015 05:27PM

We joined the church in 1969 and were never taught that the LDS church was not Christian.

We WERE taught that it was not PROTESTANT, because rather than an offshoot of the Catholic church, it was supposedly the restoration of the original church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2015 05:28PM by seekyr.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.