Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cynic ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 06:24PM

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the intent of the forum, but... I'm a single guy, and my work compels me to live in the Provo/Orem area. Does anybody have any insight as to what areas or places in the vicinity are slightly less Mormony? I can handle being around Mormons, but living with/near non-Mormons probably > liberal Mormons > Super Mormons.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 06:32PM

The answer to this sorta depends on your interests. In North Utah County -- Lehi, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Eagle Mountain -- are a bunch of tech companies. These have Mormons working for them, sure, but also a lot of never-Mo's and ex-Mo's (somebody wrote here that Mormons in IT are most likely to fall away -- I don't have any data, but the anecdotes seem to bear it out).

In the southern end of the county - Spanish Fork, Springville, Goshen, Benjamin, all the other one-horse towns -- you can find some reprieve. I knew a nice lesbian couple living in Goshen. Many of the folks down there are very much of the rural / farmer mentality, and really don't care about the things the uber-TBM's do.

I'm not one to generalize, but some of the most annoying folks I know are liberal Mormons. They are so self-assured on both their religion and politics that they're impossible to deal with. Not that conservative Mormons of the John Birch fringe are any better, mind you, but don't mistake political agreement for personal agreement.

Posted by: JoyAGE ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 06:34PM

All of Utah county is oppressively Mormon. I know really strict mormons who won't even live there. You are better off living in Southern Salt Lake County and commuting. The drive is not that bad.

Posted by: cynic ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 06:37PM

Thanks for the responses!

I suppose I would have done better to have said "liberally Mormon." I'm not trying to comment on political allegiance, but on how seriously/dogmatically they take the religion.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 18, 2013 07:05PM

https://sites.stanford.edu/sssl/2008-obamamccain-vote-precinct

Here is a voting map by precinct. ALL the precincts went Republican in the Provo area. But some precincts are more Republican than others. Look for the smaller red dots I guess.

No blue precincts until you get north to Sandy.

Add: Click on precinct to see the actual vote. Not all precincts had the same number of voters turn out. So the size of the dots doesn't reflect percentages. Looks like the Provo area precincts varied from a low of 0% Democrat to a high of 30% Democrat. Looking for 2012 map.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 07:19PM by crom.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 01:00AM

Get ready for a big culture shock, and don't get sucked in.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 01:38AM

If you don't already love nature, learn to! Hiking kept me sane during the most trying years of my life. Ski, if you can afford it. Go mountain biking and road biking along the Provo River trail, and up Provo Canyon. You can take your bike up the lift at Sundance, and ride it down. Take up golf. Do these activities on Sunday, and you will not see a Mormon all day. (On any given day, Mormons like to frequent public parks, with their kids, bowling alleys, arcades, McDonald's, macaroni restaurants, Cafe Rio (never go there) and of course the malls--"let's go shopping!"

Park City is the sanity place for me and my adult children. It is also a great place for singles. There's a street market on Sundays, a farmer's market, galleries, concerts at Park West, more bike trails, and gradually they're getting better restaurants bars, and brewery pubs. There's a summer alpine slide, a real toboggan run, a zip-line, and a roller-coaster thing. Best of all, there are people in the streets of Park City who will smile at you! Even say "Hello!" A lot of the people are from out-of-state.

There are several neighborhoods in Salt Lake County that are predominately NOT Mormon: Federal Heights and Olympus Cove are rather pricey. There are smaller places on The Avenues and Sugar House, and near the University, which are great for single not-Mormon people. There are parts of East Sandy that attract singles and skiers. Stay East.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: July 19, 2013 01:45AM

Not necessarily. I live in Daybreak, and it's pretty safe out here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.