Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 03:49PM

Here are some high on the low Debbie Downer sessions you could attend right before sending your resignation letting to Greg Dodge.

http://www.fairlds.org/fair-conferences/2013-fair-conference/conf13a

Michael R. Ash Shaken Faith Syndrome, Part Deux

Rosalynde Welch Disenchanted Mormonism

Maxine Hanks Working With the Church: Another Narrative

Janet L. Eyring
Bill Reel
Maxine Hanks The Loss and Rekindling of Faith

And if you can make it until the prophet of Mormon apologetics closes the thing, you will find out how to really do apologetics. Like he is the expert. Steven Benson should go and sit in the front row for that one. Maybe he could "draw" something from it...

Dan Peterson Toward a More Effective Apologetics

And I wonder if Kirby is running out of material and is looking to get some from apologists. I think what he does isn't benign if he think his articles help people stay in this terrible organization using humor.

Robert Kirby Why It is Important to Laugh at Ourselves

Keep laughing to avoid crying...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 04:02PM

Dan Peterson Toward a More Effective Apologetics???

The most effective thing FAIR could do is shut down their website. I have talked to so many people that left the Church over FAIR. FAIR has driven more members out of the Church than all other so-called 'anti-Mormon' websites combined. And they just keep trying to make their site more and more popular and the result is that members searching online will find their site instead of the Church's site and will drive that many more people to the disturbing issues which cause people to leave.

I'd go but I have to wash my car that day. But if anyone else wants to go - please Return & Report.

Date: July 16, 2013 04:13PM

If Kerry Shirts still posts here, I've seen a vid of his attending this thing. I'd like his take on this event.

From the titles of the sessions I can only imagine what the breaks contain in the way of talking about the talks.

A lot of "losing faith" stuff there. If FAIRLDS is so concerned with it, do you think that THEY know people are leaving because they exist?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 03:57PM

They are trying to sell themselves and their "pontificatings" to the COB as the best solution to the "losing faith" problem. How cute, the "little apologist site that couldn't" wants to survive to apologize another day...

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:09PM

Sure, but they also probably hear a lot from people who say that FAIR is the only reason they stayed in the Morg. So they probably justify the importance of their own existence through the people they've helped "save." Mormons are good at that!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 05:23PM

Shhhhhh.

Let's just keep FAIR rolling along as long as possible.

Ana

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 08:09PM

FAIR is way better than the actual church website. At least at FAIR they admit these issues and accept them, and try and provide answers.

That's exactly what a lot of us wanted from the church itself. Honesty and answers. The answers at FAIR may not be very good, but at least they're trying, and they're certainly more honest about church history than the church itself is.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 10:50PM

They may claim to "be aware" of the issues, but they routinely engage in ad hominem attacks (and worse) against church critics.

I'm unrepentant for hanging "Denial C. Peterson" on their "grand guru" years ago; even though he was never an "official" part of that organization (the church maintains its distance for reasons of "plausibile deniability"). He set the tone and laid out the methodology for dealing with the fraud that is LDS, Inc. His only defense is that he had no choice, but having watched so many here pay the price of exiting the fold, I'm thinking that isn't much of an excuse.

Simon Southerton was vilified as a "plant geneticist" and later an "adulterer" after he was excommunicated, long after he was reconciled with his wife after the separation that occurred when he discovered the scientific reality of Native American DNA origins.

A number of them, including John Lynch, have trolled this site, and they appear to be responsible for disclosing valued RFM poster Jesus Smith's real name...

The deluded sorts at LDSFreedomForum don't know any better; the ones at FAIR were afforded the information and elected to suppress, ignore, or otherwise mutilate the truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 10:51PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 04:15PM

Since LDS INC. is so "in-love" with FAIR because its top 15 are really impotent cowards, then why don't they use the same technical staff to stream-live all of FAIRS's activities and put it on-line for everyone in the world to watch.

I mean, wasn't it good enough to stream-live the June 23rd NOT-SO-HISTORIC broadcast with 11 of the 12 apostles seated on the stand?

Yup, BKKKP was absent - stuck home sucking on his O2.

Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 05:42PM

REALLY??? they charge for that??.
I rather go to the Salt Flats rocket launches!

Date: July 23, 2013 04:05PM

The post I wanted to reply to got deleted. Basically it was a whine about my above selection of sessions at this thing.

Well, dear Troll, I count 6 out of 13 in my above sessions.

Half the FAIRLDS conference is dedicated to lost faith, losing faith, disenchantment with LDS Inc., working with the powers that be and laughing at all these things.

So, I was wrong. I didn't count the feminism one which could be kinda depressing. So only HALF of this conference is going to be depressing as heck.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 23, 2013 04:12PM

Probably about how to spin it so people don't realize it was ginned up 18 years after it supposedly happened.

Date: July 26, 2013 07:51PM

Google "Simple-faith-in-a-digital-age.html" and "Deseret News."

"Just in time" for the Mormon Swedish Mafia.

Date: July 26, 2013 07:52PM

CogDis bleeding through their news...

Posted by: prayershilton usually ( )
Date: July 26, 2013 08:21PM

My mom gave me an article about this saying se hopes it helps me have a better understanding. My reply wants to be snarky and rude. Just the fact that this exists shows what a farce it all is. I'd like to respond in a Christlike manner but it's so difficult to continue being tolerant of foolish beliefs.

Date: July 27, 2013 12:02AM

prayershilton usually Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just the fact
> that this exists shows what a farce it all is.

I didn't think of that but that is soooo true. I love your moniker btw.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 11:41AM

shaken faith syndrome = rational thinking syndrome

Sorry guys once people lose the testimony they aren't going to get it back. Once they can think the forbidden thoughts you won't be able to get them to unthink them.

That testimony was a piece of "knowledge" that you trained us never to question or examine. You shoved it in our heads when our brains were malleable; whenever questioning thoughts wandered towards it we felt guilty and anxious. All subsequent knowledge had to be warped to fit around that testimony. The pieces just would never fit right.

Once we tore that testimony out, all the ill fitting pieces suddenly snapped into place and created a whole. That testimony can never be reinserted again.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 12:07PM

they keep pounding on this "faith" thing but they can never tell me why faith is good.

Posted by: heypal ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 09:30PM

Here's a novel idea for all the morg elite, be truthful! If you don't know, say so. If you're not sure, say so. Fudging, weaving, bobbing, blame, excuses, they all add up to big-time trouble. Since the truth always comes out, eventually, save yourselves a ton of grief and come clean now.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 27, 2013 10:13PM

heypal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a novel idea for all the morg elite, be
> truthful! If you don't know, say so. If you're not
> sure, say so.

Starting with a straight answer to the question, "have you
actually seen Jesus Christ?"

The failure to answer that question helps keep the fiction alive
in the membership that these guys have had actual visitations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.