Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 11:10AM

In another thread, someone mentioned that damned "What about Thad?" filmstrip. Except, I'd only ever seen the actual film - 16mm & VHS videotape. So, after reading that post, I went on a search for it. It wasn't on YouTube, but I found the first half of it on Dailymotion. Why the 2nd half wasn't on there, IDK. I hadn't seen it in about 30 years, & all I remembered about it was that a bullied kid broke a chapel window, & then all the stupid adults trying to figure out where they went wrong. Anyway, the whole thing made me so angry. Not just the film itself, but the fact that the cult wasted money making a film about "lost sheep", when they never did never help any kids who were in trouble. It was just more propaganda to make it look like they cared. That money would have been better spent on better programs, but no, the cult is all about appearances.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dent ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 02:01PM

On my mission we were to go into member's homes and show them this strip so they would refer their friends to us to teach.

Gordon Jump was the dad and he had some co-worker that wanted to know about Mormonism but Gordon never asked him, so Thad, the son is the one that broke the ice and the worker of course joined the church.

That's it in a nutshell. After nearly 40 years I still remember that God-awful strip.

Date: July 16, 2013 02:57PM

This is the one about the kid with a single mom who's being bullied at school & at church.

Posted by: Dent ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 04:06PM

What's the deal with Thad names anyway?

Date: July 16, 2013 04:12PM

It's because the little kid in both films was named Thad Carter. So they just used his real name for both films.

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 02:49PM

Oh, that thing was SO awful. Way off the top of the vomit meter.

But you do bring up a very good point about TSCC not helping people with real problems. We don't want you to drink, but would we ever open our doors to an AA group? No, because then we'd have to admit that people might need help outside the church, and we can't do that.

What about support groups for families of kids with drug problems? What about an exercise program or facilities to host weight watchers meetings? Maybe yoga classes to help those stressed out mothers. Oh, I forget, yoga is of the Devil, Lexipro is from God (actually something I will not dispute).

But the point is, many many Christian churches have support groups or focus/interest groups to help their congregations with their day-to-day lives, help with stress, help with not feeling like you're the only one with problems, or who needs more personal interaction. But you will never see that in the mormon church because that would mean having to admit that people might not be quite as constantly perky happy as they are in the commercials. And they'd have to admit that sometimes praying, paying, and obeying isn't the answer. Gasp!

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 03:07PM

Excellent post, Destiny!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 03:55PM

So true and can't agree more with the sentiment that for the church it is all about appearances... conning people into believing an image that is not true. They have a multitude of subtle tricks tucked up their sleeve and pull one out that fits the occasion.

Their PR Department is an example of double-talk at its best.

The lds cult follows joe's con game to the letter; they had a master teacher with lots of practice to lead them.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: July 16, 2013 04:04PM

I think this is one reason why bishops, stake presidents, and the "holy" Brethren keep so many atrocities a total secret. Keep it quiet and from the press - because the squeaky clean image of MOism is more important than the individual's needs and rights.

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 12:02AM

This thread is cracking me up.

thuds wife is like the ultimate TBM. hahah.. I misspelled thad and wrote thud.

I like thud better

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: February 28, 2014 12:05AM

omg I forgot how much thud is just like young forrest gump.

I'm renaming him again to Thump

Posted by: 10Dragons ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 09:10AM

Johnnyboy . . .
What were you saying about Thad's wife?! Do you know her personally? Do you know him personally?
It's interesting to me the people who talk smack about other people in forums just like this have never met the person they are talking smack about.
Maybe you should just follow Thumper's advice in the movie Bambi: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 09:37AM

10Dragons Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's interesting to me the people who talk smack
> about other people in forums just like this have
> never met the person they are talking smack
> about.

Have you ever met johnnyboy?

> Maybe you should just follow Thumper's advice in
> the movie Bambi: "If you don't have anything nice
> to say, don't say anything at all"

Was it "nice" to say what you said about johnnyboy?

In another thread, somebody brought up hypocrisy and "do what I say, not what I do." Yeah.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 10:19AM

What is with the drive-by trollish posters (Karlos in this thread and 10Dragons in the Thad thread) resurrecting posts from 2013?

My bet is they are the same person. If a TBM believer has that much time to read back that far, they probably got an earful.

Posted by: outcast ( )
Date: July 16, 2014 08:59PM

Thad Carter is my cousin. The Thad in the movies.My parents used to drag me to temple square and make us watch the movies when we were children. Trust me, even he didn't live up to the teachings. quite the contrary.

Posted by: 10Dragons ( )
Date: July 02, 2017 01:37AM

I am Thad's wife and although his 'cousin states that he didn't live up to the teachings of the Church, they have no idea what they are talking about. Not only has he completely turned his life around, we will be sealed together as an eternal family within the year.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 09:45AM

>>Not only has he completely turned his life around...

So what you are saying is that for an indeterminate period of time, Thad was not living up to the teachings of the church.

Actors (even child actors) who put themselves out there on films, filmstrips, on stage, etc. are going to get public comment. It goes with the territory. If you don't want public comment, don't lead a public life.

Posted by: Church Lady ( )
Date: July 02, 2017 01:55AM

Hey, don't worry about the money. Even as we speak, deeply concerned Atheists are organizing to collect money for the poor, the sick, and the homeless.

Why, just look at all the hospitals, homeless shelters, and rescue missions founded and run by Atheists. There's, uh, well, um, (cough, cough.) Then there's, uh....

Never mind.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 09:28AM

Uh... church lady. The biggest contributors to world health, poverty, women's education etc. are foundations supported by atheists. Take a look at Gates and the other wealthy individuals. Please read up before you condemn a whole group of people. My wife and I help support a local food bank. We are not linked to a church. My friend, an atheist, helps regularly at the Salvation Army. Again he has no affiliation with any church. Atheists do good because it is the right thing to do, not for approbation.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 09:30AM

The only reason you are alive is because of Atheistic medical science.
Yup. I blame Atheists for keeping you alive.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 10:03AM

And, atheists do all their charity work with no reward in heaven in mind. No one tells them to. They just want to. I know. I'm one.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 21, 2017 10:17AM

Most hospitals, homeless shelters, rescue missions and charities are NOT religious in nature.

Is it really your contention that people *must* be religious in order to have charitable motivations?

As an example, the charitable group Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) by its charter keeps religion out of the equation so that it can more effectively work in a wide variety of countries and cultures. Each year more than 30,000 of its personnel provide aid to over 70 countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9decins_Sans_Fronti%C3%A8res

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.