Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 03:24AM

"On occasion, the Mormon Church has been accused of being cultist, but the actual reality is in the opposite direction. Under church policy, every individual has the basic freedom to choose the direction and nature of his or her beliefs. Blind obedience and obsequious behavior under a tyrannical authority is nonexistent within the Mormon Church."

But you simply MUST read the whole (short) article. I'm not sure whether to file it under "nausea," "painful eye rolling" or "humor." Judge for yourself:

http://www.independent.com/news/2013/jul/01/mormons-and-their-religion-brief-portrayal/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 06:24PM by Fetal Deity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 03:49AM

Coffee?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 08:14AM

Anything stronger?

Posted by: lastofthewine ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 04:12AM

Barf barf and more barf.

Learn to research.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 05:55AM

President Marion G. Romney tells of this incident which happened to him:

“I remember years ago when I was a bishop I had President Heber J. Grant talk to our ward. After the meeting I drove him home … Standing by me, he put his arm over my shoulder and said: ‘My boy, you always keep your eye on the President of the Church and if he ever tells you to do anything, and it is wrong, and you do it, the Lord will bless you for it.’ Then with a twinkle in his eye, he said, ‘But you don’t need to worry. The Lord will never let his mouthpiece lead the people astray.’” (Conference Report, October 1960, p. 78.)

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 08:16AM

Obedience is the first law of heaven and the only Mormon doctrine not subject to change

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 08:40AM

That person is either a Mormon, or he only interviewed a Mormon. That's just wow.

Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 09:00AM

Gag. I agree with Greyfort. This guy is a Mormon, or he interviewed one. Or he went to LDS.org. And did nothing deeper. He's right that Mormons never engage in a battle for doctrinal supremacy with other religions....yeah, because they "KNOW the church is true" and all the others are an abomination...so NEENER, NEENER!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 09:01AM by stillburned.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 11:11AM

Mormon blind obedience non-existent???

Hey everyone, guess what?... A monkey just flew out of my butt.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 11:22AM

That's the kind of propaganda that TSCC writes about itself. That could have come right out of the PR department.

Try expressing an opposing view in an SS or PH meeting and see how that goes over. Try to find ONE person who is active, yet admits the BoM is metaphorical, not a real history!

It's still all-or-nothing. Sure, plenty of them are NOM-ish, but they have to keep quiet. They know that the church thinks something's wrong with them.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 12:32PM

What do you mean by "SS." That particular acronym is not in the list on this page:

http://exmormon.org/d6/drupal/abbreviations

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 12:54PM

Date: July 04, 2013 01:03PM

Yeah, I figured. When repeating so-called "anti-mormon" details, I am really careful when it comes to getting the facts right.

Don't want to give my TBM friends wiggle room, not even over insignificant details.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 08:29PM

Yes, I meant Sunday School, but the fact that it also stands for Schutzstaffel is an amusing coincidence.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 11:34AM

Mormons have the free agency to:

Pay their tithing, even if means going without food or medicine, OR spend all eternity in outer darkness. No blind obedience there.

That article reminds me of the type of "letters to the editor" that start "I'm not a Mormon, but all the Mormons I know are the most honest, hard working people I know....." and go on about how great Mormons are, and they would be proud is a child married a Mormon, which of course begs the question, if you are writing to the editor of how great Mormons are, why aren't you one yourself?

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 12:16PM

Ridiculous.

Only cults demand blind OBEDIENCE and any American who would fall for the current brand of Mormonism is a fool.

Posted by: Drunk Sailor ( )
Date: July 05, 2013 11:06AM

Or any past brand of Mormonism. But people don't fall for it. That seldom happens.

Kids are spoonfed this nonsense from their parents, and taught to live it. They never have a chance.

Posted by: Bombadilgirl ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 12:35PM

"There is no need...to sail unchartered seas or travel unmarked roads in search of truth...Heavenly Father has plotted our course...obedience" !!! If that's not a counsel for blind obedience then what is???

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 10:38PM

By the way... that quote is from the current, living prophet, from the most recent conference. Not a dead prophet quote.

Date: July 04, 2013 12:37PM

This is the author of the obsequious and misleading article:

"Thomas M. Woodring is a retired clinical psychologist and a lifelong resident of Santa Barbara, having been born here in 1936."

Does anybody know this guy?

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 06:48PM

I tend to think he's NOT Mormon because of the phrasing of a couple of sentences in the article, like:

"For a period of time, the Mormon Church was guilty of racial discrimination ...."

No self-respecting Mormon (TBM, at least) would ever accuse their church of being "guilty" of anything!

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 07:01PM

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 12:38PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: ananke ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 12:45PM

This reads like nothing more than a PR press release.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 01:45PM

If a member chooses not to be a temple recommend holding member their opportunities in the Mormon church are limited. They will never serve in leadership positions and will be left outside the temple when family events take place in the temple. They are considered unworthy, they are looked at as less spiritual, they are less all around than a temple recommend holding member. Members don't obey out of blind obedience, they obey because they see the problems if they don't obey. They follow out of fear not blindness.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 01:52PM

I'd like them to find ONE example where a Mormon can be disobedient to the church and the church would be okay with it.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 08:45PM

The apostles and leaders may pay lip service to personal revelation, but in the end, they value blind obedience over anything in all circumstances in life.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: July 04, 2013 11:44PM

Hey now, hey now. If there's anything I learned from the one PM I attended, blind obedience is not demanded. You are free to disagree and question, you just have to obey even if the commandments are blatantly perverse.

You don't have to be blind or unquestioning, just ultimately obedient against any and all better judgment.

Posted by: Anon for now ( )
Date: July 05, 2013 12:26AM

Scooter.....come back!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 05, 2013 11:48AM

Hahahhaa! Yes, I'm sure Scooter could spot the dangling ferrets!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: July 05, 2013 12:05PM

Full of lies, misperceptions and typos.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.