Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 07:18PM

http://www.upworthy.com/abc-news-i-dont-think-outspoken-was-the-word-you-were-looking-for-to-describe-these-women-2?c=ufb1

Brigham Young would like some of those members but the young couple dating would be "death on the spot".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 07:29PM

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 07:36PM

The one woman said she has "lots of black friends," as if to justify her racism. Exactly how many blacks are there in Brigham City?

Posted by: Stillanon ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 08:40PM

Brig. City Population= 20,000
Black Population = .05%
Total Black people in BC= 10

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 09:04AM

I haven't lived there for 30 years, but my family lives there and I visit there often.

I thought she really got herself in deeper when she stated that Hispanics (I think she said Mexicans) are okay because they are part white. I think she was reaching on that one because she knew the guy she was talking to is Hispanic. Like JBug said below, it was very much taught growing up in Utah that we weren't to marry anyone of a different race. I had a friend when we were teens who was dating someone Japanese and our mutual teacher told us that it was wrong to do that. My last roommate married someone Japanese and there were a lot of comments about that, too. That was in 1984. He has been a bishop and one of their neighbors told me he didn't have a right to be a bishop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 09:10AM by cl2.

Posted by: Moosefan ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 07:43PM

The "tears" of concern for this girl. Tears like she was going into battle or having a serious surgery. The fake concern and then the "I have lots of friends who are...", it makes my stomach sick. I promise after this airs, you won't have to worry about it.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 07:58PM

It's already aired. I remember seeing it on TV a year or so ago.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 08:27PM

I think we know who the mormons are in that video. Crying freaks.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 08:45PM

I once dated a Jamaican girl. It wasn't all that long ago, and while the relationship didn't work out, we got a lot of funny looks from people when we were out on the town. What did bother me was that she was really bothered by it, enough that she did not want us to be seen together in public when we could avoid it. I could care less what other people think, but I understand that she was simply bothered by it. She wasn't a bad person, just not ready for that kind of battle on a daily basis. Relationship didn't last long.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 09:00PM

I dated a nice black woman who was from Boston and had a nursing degree. This was in Provo, and in the 1990's. Yes, we got stares a-plenty. I'm blond and Irish-transparent white. we contrasted so sharply that it seemed no one could keep from staring. The older the observers were, the more stink-eyed the stares were.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 10:48PM

I still can't figure out why anyone would care if a dating or married couple weren't of the same race. Who gives a crud? Why is it anyone's business?
I don't think I have ever dated a guy of the same race, and if people were staring, I didn't notice. Even coming from the south, I never caught any hell for it, so I'm pretty surprised that there's even any place left in the US where people are like that.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 10:59PM

Older Mormons were taught by GA's to only marry in their own race. Yes, this is bigoted and the cult won't admit this now. My TBM husband believes this, even though he has a TBM cousin who married a person of another race. He believes this because the cult taught him this over and over. I just can't reason with him, I have tried many times.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 11:49PM

A pioneer-descended coworker and her Haitian-American husband moved to southern Salt Lake County from Miami.

Their theory was that it is better to be stared at on the Wasatch Front than unemployed in Miami.

So how did Mia Love with her white husband manage to almost win a congressional seat in such a racist place?

Posted by: DavenotinTX ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 12:56PM

That is easy!!!! Republican and Mormon........

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 12:46AM

We should pass a federal law mandating interracial marriage. Utah will have to import black people just to keep their population up.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 01:12AM

My sister married a black guy, and they lived in Northern Utah for a while.

I saw all those stares and looks directed at them.

Sometimes at church.

Racist doctrines have consequences.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 08:52AM

I dated a black guy in high school. I wasn't even allowed to bring him in the house. But my mom came up with a "compromise", and set up part of the screened off porch as a "game room". Still not in the house.
For some reason I was surprised at this even though all my grandparents were quite open about their racism. They just managed not to talk about it ever until I dated to bring a non-white onto their turf.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 10:45AM

Wow. Black people couldn't even come into your house?

Posted by: seabiscuitwife ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 09:46AM

"We are unanimous, all of the Brethren, in feeling and recommending that Indians marry Indians, and Mexicans marry Mexicans; the Chinese marry Chinese and the Japanese marry Japanese; that the Caucasians marry the Caucasians, and the Arabs marry Arabs."

(Spencer W. Kimball, The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, edited by Edward L. Kimball [Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1982], 303.)

I hate this quote so much

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 10:43AM

Oh, I kinda like it. It tells us so much.

Date: July 03, 2013 10:45AM

But how come Asians have to marry Asians of their specific nationality, while any old white person can marry another white person of any nationality that they want?

Posted by: curious2no ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 10:17AM

I think it is a better world when people get to marry who they wish, but it does seem interracial relationships are harders, at least for white females. It is not only an issue of prejudice to not want daughters to marry outside their race.

Black husband/white wife marriages are twice as likely to divorce as white/white marriages, and Asian husband/white wife marriages are about 60% more likely to divorce as white/white marriages.

White husband/black wife were nearly 50% less likely to divorce than white/white couples, and white husband/Asian wife couples had pretty much the same divorce rate as white/white couples.

http://gorigirl.com/interracial-divorce-in-the-u-s-statistics-and-how-much-they-matter

Date: July 03, 2013 10:35AM

Actually, when you consider that a significant number of Asian wives are going to be young Chinese girls getting fake marriages to old dudes in order to immigrate here.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 04:08PM

The difficulties of inter-racial marriages may be in part due to our difficulties in accepting them, thus adding to the stress in those marriages. In other words, if we just got over it, those marriages might succeed in percentages comparable to other marriages.

Posted by: aspiexlds ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:21AM

The term two-faced came to mind when I was watching the two women when they got cornered and the whole ruse revealed...

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:55AM

Brigham City is Boyd K Packer's hometown.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 11:57AM

The tearful mormon woman who gave the lengthiest testimony about whites marrying whites, (the woman with many black friends), kept referring to the black actor playing the fiancé as "that."

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 01:51PM

Excerpts from the video:

“I think they should stay with their own.”

“It made me cry to think a pretty girl like that would pick something like that.”

“If you’re white you’re white. If you’re colored, you’re colored. Keep it in your own family. Don’t put it in someone else’s.”

“I’ve got a lot of friends that are black, but I just feel like that when you get married, you marry the same as you are….”

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:11PM

With all the international adoptions in the past 20 years, it will be intetesting to see what happens to all these ethnic girls who were brought up in causation homes. My nine year old chinese niece is one of them. She has no interest in anything chinese, h her parents have suggested language and dancing classes. There are chinese girls who are brought up in the jewish faith, so appearances will have nothing to do with cultural upbringing.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:26PM

I wish they would've called the older woman out on her "I have lots of black friends" claim: "Oh, you do? How did you meet them? Where do they live? What do they do for a living? As friends, what do you enjoy doing together? Do you come here with them for coffee sometimes? Would you and they be willing to do an exclusive interview with ABC on your friendship as well as your views on maintaining racial purity?"

A disgusting display. She was so utterly without shame. Didn't have the decency to even pretend to be embarrassed or apologize to the actor she'd just called a subhuman "THAT". He was extremely gracious to her undeserving ass, and in private I'm sure such encounters are played back with a considerable amount of personal stress.

If I'd been sitting near her I would have signaled the server and asked for my check and while leaving commented loudly, "Well, their food is fine but the disgusting dogshit pouring out of a customer's mouth sure made me sick to my stomach", giving her a hard stare on my way out.

Extra dose of 'yuck' = her 'oh goodness gracious me' pseudo-genteel, smiley display of 'I'm just a harmless old-fashioned little old lady' -- as if saying terrible things in a civilized manner somehow makes it excusable. I'm sure her true claws come out in private when she's not on camera and isn't put on the spot in a public setting.

Disclaimer: my younger brother's ex-wife is black. He's so white he burns in the shade. They had 3 kids together. I still remember how shocked I was when I first noticed the subtle double-takes they got when they were out together. In the Seattle region, of all places. The stress of coping with racism - even subtle displays - definitely took a toll on their marriage though the divorce was mainly due to my ex-SIL cheating on him several times, unfortunately.

I will never forget the family reunion we spent in SLC one year. On "Lagoon Day" I watched the watchers of my hulking, 6'2" bodybuilder super-white brother and his nearly-as-tall midnight bride, pushing a stroller with my then 2 year old niece in it. I kept my sunglasses on the whole time, instead of perching them on my head like I so often do, so I could observe people without them realizing I was watching their body language. When my brother held his wife's hand, the uptick in longer held 'looks' at them was noticeable. When they shared a chaste lip peck I actually saw a grandma-type pushing an empty stroller filled with a diaper bag actually compress her lips while her face tightened noticeably. She quickly rearranged her features and pretended not to see them as she passed. This was in mid 1990s.

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:32PM

Oh my f*ing GODS!!! Hurray for the man at the beginning of this, but that old women!!!

Crying = True. We've all seen this before.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.