Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:11PM

I have to wonder what would happen if a Primary teacher did this in the LDS church today?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeK759FF84s

I think this also makes a strong statement on the great duty teachers perform in our society, as compared to the Mitt Romney/Mormon definition of success.

All of these kids were changed by this teacher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:42PM

Compassionate teacher, intelligent kids!

My TBM friend, who originally introduced me to Mormonism, told me that her grandparents would always admonish their children and grandchildren to refrain from marrying anyone with brown eyes, because "they couldn't be trusted."

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:16PM

LDS Inc tries to spin it with the 1978 thing.

They cannot spin the racist views that are still very much of their theology.

Posted by: mrsostrike ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:47PM

I had a History teacher that seperated the desks into two large rows.. we came into class with name tags on our desks. (This was High School)I am mixed race, Indonesian, Dutch, Portuguese, and German, but my skin is an oilve tone. After sitting in my desk in the back row, we slowly realized that our teacher had segregated the class. 10 white students sat in the front row while the rest of the class who were made up of Black, Hispanic, mixed race kids sat in the back.

He began the class and only called on students to answer questoins from the front row. Finally students started to get mad. Then he turned on the overhead projector. It said "Racism" in large red letters. He then asked us how we felt. A lot of us said "Mad" or "Angry", but some of us were humbled. It was an experience I will never forget.

I dont know how Black people in the church can reconcile within themselves the racism the church desplayed for most of its existance.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 03:00PM

I had a teacher do this brown/blue eyes lesson to my class. But we were older - 8th grade, maybe? - so we all knew what it the point was from the get-go.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 05:34PM

That's a famous experiment that is well known among educators. The video is shown at some point to virtually every education major in college. The teacher who did the experiment went on to train other educators in racism and non-discrimination.

Posted by: Bill Bailey ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 08:43PM

Here is a far more educational clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlQBWdGjH4U

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.