Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iris ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 09:44AM

I know this is a delayed topic and has been covered. However, I watched the entire broadcast last week taking notes as I had done most of my life and wanted to add my $.02 for what it's worth.

The June 23rd Sunday evening broadcast from the Marriott Center was seriously lacking in any reference to Joseph Smith. I found it incredible that the First Vision was never mentioned, Joseph Smith was mentioned only with regard to “the greatest and most important duty is to preach the gospel,” and that not one of the apostles or the prophet testified that Joseph Smith was the prophet of the restoration of the gospel (or something similar). Those two things were MAIN FOCUS when I was a missionary, and they were also presented as such in the meetings prior to my daughters entering the MTC. Hinckley was referenced more than JS.

Also of note were the tried and tired phrases being used. Holland has to be sick of hearing his own voice (I know I am). He opened with, “never again in your entire life are you going to part of a zone conference this large,” “on the wings of that majestic missionary hymn, we welcome you.” Then he tried to crack some jokes. Also hearing Perry say, "in this now digital age" was pretty funny. We know their new program is just recycled old program with the digital touch. Nothing new there. But it was glaringly bad all the way around.

I won't share all my notes about the broadcast--it would be too long and boring. But I was struck by how the First Vision wasn't mentioned and no testimony of JS was given. Those were the focus when I was in the Mission Home. It was all about how Joseph Smith had done more for mankind than anyone else (excepting Jesus Christ). Me thinks the multiple versions of the First Vision is having an impact--not to mention JS marriage practices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Moroni's promise failed ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 11:39AM

someone posted that Monsoon has not testified of the truthfullness of the gaspachi or Joe Smith in the last 30 conference talks.
it'w always a generic " I know this is the true work " etc.-

" I love widows"

lame if you are going to be a prophet

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:49PM

I think they are backpedalling on their claim "either the First Vision is true or the church is a fraud." GBH said it in all cockiness in the pre-internet age. Or at least when the internet was an infant, I forget the exact year he began making his outrageous claim. But now it's so simple to find out that the First Vision IS in fact completely false and Joseph Smith was a polygamist, skirt chasing, fringe magic believing fraud. Better to stick with Jesus, share the gospel, pay your tithing, obey your masters.

Posted by: Wilruff ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 05:14PM

If you review the GA testimonies at the end of their General Conference talks (May and November Ensigns), there is rare if any that conclude "the church is true", instead it is about the savior and the atonement.

Compared to our ward testimonies, just about all testify they "know the church is true". I have concluded that those testimonies from stake presidency members down are an attempt to maintain or establish a position of authority or acceptance in the local social/cultural structure, and not that any of them really "know". They are also unaware of the toxic history and doctrines of TSCC or have willfully dismissed such as of no consequence for various and perhaps obvious reasons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.