Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 07:53PM

Late last year my dog was diagnosed with cancer. Today we had to put him down. He was starting to get worse. We didn't want him to suffer. It hurts so bad. I loved that dog more than words can express. He was my boy. I'm so sorry that he had to get cancer. I didn't want to leave him. I feel like my heart is being squeezed. My beautiful Merlot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 07:59PM

I'm do sorry. I hate to hear that. Today my husband and I were making clay paw prints of our baby.

Hugs from me and kisses from my munchkin to you.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 08:03PM

I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 08:03PM

That's such sad news, pigsinzen. I am so sorry you lost your dog. It sounds like Merlot had a wonderful life with you and that you cared for him beautifully. My doggie is 10 years old and I know how important every day is with him.

Take care!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 08:06PM

This hurts so bad.

I am so deeply sorry for what you are going through, and I wish there was something I could say that would make it better.

Thinking of you,

tevai

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 08:07PM

There's nothing in life quite like a good dog. Lost mine a couple years ago at the age of 15. I still miss that little guy, but I'm happy and at peace knowing he had the best life we could give him. We treated him just like we did each other, probably better. He was every bit a member of the family like the rest of us.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 08:09PM

I am so sorry. It's hard to lose a special one that has been part of our life.
May you be filled with beautiful memories.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 08:19PM

Our girl is 13 lbs and 8¾ years old. She is a she-wolf, fierce and kind.

I will die when she dies - I honestly don't know how I'll manage.

Hugs.

Mongrel Heart
By David Baker

Up the dog bounds to the window, baying
like a basset his doleful, tearing sounds
from the belly, as if mourning a dead king,

and now he’s howling like a beagle – yips, brays,
gagging growls – and scratching the sill paintless,
that’s how much he’s missed you, the two of you,

both of you, mother and daughter, my wife
and child. All week he’s curled at my feet,
warming himself and me watching more TV,

or wandered the lonely rooms, my dog shadow,
who like a poodle now hops, amped-up windup
maniac yo-yo with matted curls and snot nose

smearing the panes, having heard another car
like yours taking its grinding turn down
our block, or a school bus, or bird-squawk,

that’s how much he’s missed you, good dog,
companion dog, dog-of-all-types, most excellent dog
I told you once and for all we should never get.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/244978

Posted by: pioneerrose ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 09:12PM

I am so sorry for your loss. The pain of losing a beloved companion who knew how to love unconditionally is almost unimaginable. It is true grief.

Posted by: Starry no password ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 09:28PM

So very sorry for your loss. I have lost several four legged companions in my life also.. It's hard I know. They give us so much and ask for so little.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 09:29PM

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's very hard to lose such a faithful companion. Furkids are all about unconditional love. You gave your dog the best home and did right by him even though it's such a hard thing to do.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 10:21PM

So sorry. We lost our MacGregor last December to cancer and we still talk about him every day. My condolences.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 10:33PM

I have a dog that is getting older and he will be missed when he passes. I am trying to prepare myself. When he goes I will have him cremated and his ashes put in an urn to be placed in my coffin when I pass on. We have to continue the journey together if there is one.

I share your grief.

Posted by: escapee not logged in ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 04:20AM

I have the ashes of 2 dogs and a cat in a book case (in boxes). My original plan was to have all my animals' ashes lined up next to me in my coffin, so folks could see all the pets I had.
But now I want to be cremated, so I think they could "co-mingle" our ashes together and spread us out somewhere. Maybe Oregon--I lived there for 10 years and wasn't quite done when I left (to recover from the illness that put me in a coma) to recuperate in Iowa. Or perhaps a National Park area.
I hope I have a lot more critters with which to mingle.
Susan

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 10:31PM

Always heartbreaking to say goodbye to a friend. I've said goodbye to 7 dogs in my life and it never gets easier. Just gotta hold on to the memories.

Ron Burr

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 10:35PM

So sorry. Went through that not long ago, and you are so right. It hurts a lot.

You loved him, and I know he knew that.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 10:39PM

I'm sorry.. I had to put my dog down for cancer a few months ago.. Then a few weeks ago, I boarded my dog at a kennel. He got out and got killed by another dog.
It's awful when they leave us. They get to be your best friends.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 10:55PM

I am so sorry you lost a member of your family. We lost one of ours in 2009. We read a book DH bought called "The Last Will and Testament of an Extremely Distinguished Dog" by Eugene O'Neill. It made us cry more, but it seemed a fitting book to read in remembrance of one we loved.

Posted by: lifegoeson ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 11:03PM

I am so sorry...{{{pigsinzen}}}

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 11:17PM

Thanks all. My heart is broke tonight but I'll always have him by my side. I was blessed to be the one he gave good night kisses to.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 11:27PM

Things like this break my heart. People make fun of me all the time for how much I worry about my dog, or how much I go out of my way to try and make her happier/more comfortable. "It's just a dog!" people say. Every dog I've ever owned has been pure love and happiness covered in hair. You will never meet a creature that will love you more, or be so genuinely happy to see you as your own dog. I've heard some people say that when we get to heaven (if there is a heaven), there will be no pets there. I could not disagree more: heaven would not be heaven if it wasn't full of animals.

I am extremely sorry for your loss. I hope you will consider adopting another dog to make feel as loved and happy as you did your deceased pup.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 11:30PM

Hardest days of my life have been when I lost my dogs.

I now have a little tiny shaggy dog with a crooked neck--who is the joy of our lives. I was afraid of getting another one--and then I read some page in a book that said that once you've loved a dog, living without one is a life diminished. It was about 9 months after I had lost my last one. I went to PetSmart and found my little dog. They never replace the other, but he has helped so much.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 11:34PM

I'm very sorry for your loss, & I really do feel your pain.

I've had 2 dogs that have died, & I will never have another dog. It just hurts too much to lose them.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:05AM

So sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a furry friend.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:11AM

Sad, sad, sad...

All the best to you.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:18AM

I am so sorry. We share such a short window of time with our most excellent furry friends. Know that you gave him a wonderful, loving home.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:23AM

I'm so sorry. That's the most difficult part about having pets in our lives, but they're so worth it. *HUGS*

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:18AM

I'm so sorry, I had to have a 15 year old dog put down earlier this year, and it's never an easy thing to do. Dogs really are the only example I can think of when it comes to unconditional love.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 08:05PM

Sorry for your loss. Went through that earlier this year and it leaves you feeling like there's a GD hole in your heart the size of Texas that you can drive a semi through. Time helps, but it still sucks.

Go gently.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 08:07PM

So sorry you lost your buddy.

Posted by: X'd at 10 ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 08:19PM

Lost a dear friend to cancer. His name was Puck. Today I wage a war for my daughter's life against the desease.

I am so sorry for your lose. Such friendship and love is so pure.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 08:43PM

Very sorry for your loss.One thing that helped me was to keep a picture of my dog who I also had to put to sleep on the frig. I look at her and it makes me smile now....I don't get sad. I think of how lucky I was to have her and my kids as well. And I think of how lucky she was to have us love her so much and put her out of her pain.Shelived to be 15 - a cockapoo.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 08:52PM

I am so sorry. My heart hurts for you. Losing a beloved pet hurts like hell.

The first time I had to say goodbye to one of my boxers was over 8 years ago. He had such a great life with us, and I have so many wonderful memories of him from a pup to an elderly dog. Nearly 9 years after his death, and I can still cry when I remember it.

You gave your sweet boy the last kindness of a caring owner - a release from suffering. He knew how much he was loved.

I'll give my two frogdogs an extra special treat before bed tonight, in honor of Merlot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.