Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Never One ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 11:46AM

Someone on my friends list just sent me this...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mormontestimony/

I guess they are really pushing the 'every member a missionary'. The thing is, I actually kinda like this person, but I am not going to become a project :(

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 11:49AM

Now Everyone can hate Mormons as much as we do!

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 12:04PM

Isn't that special?

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 12:13PM

Hey at least they're not strictly monitoring it yet. I just found this post on it:

"I have been inactive. I was raised in the church and sometimes I feel like I only believe because I don't want to disappoint my parents. I know the church encourages you not to read anything that casts a negative light on the churches teachings. How do you prove or disprove if you don't research it. Also does anyone else have a problem with the churches push for its young adults to marry and raise families? I am happy being single. I want to believe but it is a struggle. The praying that the church is true doesn't work for me. Been there, done that. Where do I go from here?"

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 12:20PM

Also, read the comments on that post. It's rather entertaining and it shows then lack of any sort of critical thinking.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 12:43PM

To be specific on something I read "No Anti-Mormon posts will be tolerated"

This is cult reconditioning. It won't work for anyone that is seeking answers to the tough questions, because the only answers are "Anti-Mormon". They lie and they program, who will accept those other than those who want to be part of a group that lies and programs?

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 12:26PM

I just spend half an hour on facebook because of your link. Good link, BTW.

TBMs don't realize how they limit their own thinking. They start with the conclusion that belief or testimony is the desired result. Their efforts go into building faith, creating the desired feelings, and avoiding faith-disrupting info. What's sad is how they talk down to the person having doubts to get them to suppress them. That person was the one of the most sensible ones in the discussion.

There is very little mention of actually examining their beliefs to confirm or debunk them. The only comment about that came from someone who no longer believes.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 01:02PM

I keep getting mormon invites, too. =/
If they keep it up, send them invites to
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MormonThinkcom/185572458250693?fref=ts

;)
That'll stop em.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 05:42PM

I have no idea what I just read.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 02:22PM

In order to be even more cultish, the leader of scientolgy, L Ron Hubbard, rewrote the dictionary to his own liking. They use L Ron Hubbard speak.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 01:55PM

"At the end of my first year in college, I had run out of money and had no job. I was at Church talking to someone when I got the idea/prompting to pay a fast offering. I kind of laughed to myself and opened my wallet, seeing a total of $6, which was to make up my meals for the rest of the week. I thought, "Well maybe if I give some, the Lord will help me out." I donated $5 that day. Within a few days, I received a tuition reimbursement check I didn't know was coming, enough to last until I could get a job the next semester. Since then, I knew that if I was generous, I would never want for the necessities of life, and I really gained a testimony of fast offerings. :)"

Fortunately she wasn't approached by a man on a business trip looking to see if she wanted some extra spending money to party. could have been an answer to her money problems, but less faith promoting. Oh boy, this is going to be great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2013 01:59PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 07:30PM

Yes, because her school's financial aid department wouldn't have sent her check had she not given the 5$...

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 04:05PM

One does not need to be negative or allegedly 'anti'

One just needs to ask some really good questions, such as why the ensign article shows JS with a pistol in his pocket.

Or, for clarification on GA speeches that have been edited. Who is the corrector of these guys?

Perhaps one should bear testimony that jesus himself came down and electronically edited the GAs who must have translated incorrectly or simply speaking as a man while they were speaking at conference or writing in church magazines.

We need our people to show up on that page.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 07:00PM

the page as a hate group, anti-religions.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: June 29, 2013 07:16PM

So this is how the church is going to bring members into the fold?

Good luck getting the missionaries to stay focused on Facebook and not wander to another site like F***book.

Has the church lost their marbles?

Propaganda is the next best thing to half truths and this is the new Mormon Missionary.

Unreal.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 30, 2013 04:40PM

One thing I notice about posts from family is that it's usually some kind of prepackaged message. Rarely do the TBM relatives post something thoughtful or personalized about the church.

Although, it's hard to tell now that the entire vocabulary of Mormonism is a bunch of prepackaged messaging.

It just doesn't work on exmos. We no all tricks. They might as well want to join Russ Ballard in talking us into an Edsel.

Posted by: fpblues ( )
Date: November 10, 2013 09:12AM

I don't hate Mormons. What I hate is how they treat me since I have "fallen away." My family treats me as if I don't exist, and so many of my old Mormon friends, kids that I grew up with, treat me with distance as if I have some kind of contageous disease. They act as if they are embarrassed to be caught associating with me. How can this behavior be in line with anything Christ taught? Even if I were to disregard all of the evidence and facts that have enabled me to see clearly how false Mormonism is, this one aspect of "the gospel" is something I just cannot ignore, and it would be the biggest reason for me to not ever want to go back. That one aspect alone is enough to prove to me that it is not at all what I once believed it to be, and what it purports to be. It is anything BUT the truth. It is anything BUT the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.