Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 10:32AM

Does the church still officially deny that JS had multiple wives?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 02:58PM

Even the Reorganized (since renamed) LDS gave up that claim, years ago. They are a tad slow admitting that JS was nothing but a sex maniac.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 04:45PM

They haven't denied it since 1855; they simply never mention or teach it.

It's admitted on their own website:

"After God revealed the doctrine of plural marriage to Joseph Smith in 1831 and commanded him to live it, the Prophet, over a period of years, cautiously taught the doctrine to some close associates. Eventually, he and a small number of Church leaders entered into plural marriages in the early years of the Church."

http://www.lds.org/topics/polygamy-plural-marriage?lang=eng

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 11:30AM

Thanks, My lifetime tbm dad still doesn't believe Joe did such a thing

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:23PM

You should send him this explaining that it's the church's own website. Also send him a link to D&C 132 which is a revelation to Joseph Smith commanding Emma to accept his virgin wives that were "given" to him for the purpose of "multiplying and replenishing the Earth." (also on their own website)

Tell your dad that you can provide him other "interesting" details about the church from their own sources as well.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:43PM

Of course, Joseph preferred non-virgins but also enjoyed 14 year olds and other teenagers as well as those who were experienced. Wonder if any taught him anything like other positions or oral sex. Perhaps it was the last that reduced progeny and reduced the secret getting out.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 12:54PM

I grew up in the church knowing that Joseph Smith had multiple lies. I don't think it denies it, but it does a good job of obscuring it.

I certainly had no idea:

Several were teenagers.
There were so many.
There was polyandry going on.
The sordid details and circumstances.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:14PM

Theres a web site; Joseph Smith's wives. that run by the church history dept. . Lists the known ones. About 33. Fanny alger was after emma. Back when I went to church they still admitted that E.R. Snow was JSs wife. I dont think they ever truely denied it. They just "forgt" about it.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 01, 2013 01:59PM

When I was still a member, I thought that he had just a couple of plural wives. I knew about Eliza and Zina, but I thought that was it. Maybe one more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.