Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 05:58PM

As an adult convert to TSCC, I asked questions. (Although, evidently, not the right ones.LOL) When I asked about Hell, I was told that Hell was meant for Satan and his demons and never meant for mankind. That Jesus' death "saved" EVERYONE from Hell. The worst after death punishment was "Outer Darkness" which seems to be the polar opposite of the usual concept of Hell.

I've been reading posts that state a fear of Hell that y'all had in your childhoods...but "I don't know that the Church teaches that."

So, which is it? Hell or not? Since I spent my two decades in TSCC believing that I COULD NOT go to Hell, it was rather freeing, actually. Did TSCC ever teach about Hell?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 06:02PM

I always assumed hell and outer darkness were the same and that a few sons of perdition would go there,but most of us would be in one of the three kingdoms

Posted by: rob (not logged in) ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 06:10PM

I was taught most people who wouldn't accept the gospel will go to the telestial kingdom. There's 4 kingdoms:

Celestial (which also has 3 levels)
Terestial
Telestial
Outer Darkness (Hell...but mormons don't call it this) To get here you have to be Satan, part of 1/3 that rebelled in the pre-existence or you have to have a perfect knowledge of the gospel and Holy Ghost and then deny it.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 07:09AM

This is accurate for what I was taught too.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 06:11PM

This is where there is a bit of a disconnect between and within the teachings in the Church and the scriptures. I was taught the same concept, that the Telestial kingdom was the worst we could do and that it was even nicer there than on our current planet. That notwithstanding, I was also left to reconcile the following:

* Hell was a state of mind that we suffer for eternity knowing that we could have had better if we had simply applied ourselves during our mortal probabation (i.e. weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth at falling short of Celestial polygamous glory).

* Hell is also the dark side of the spirit world where we may live for untold years until the resurrection and final judgment. This spirit world "hell" could be VERY scary and a frightful experience.

* Reading the D&C and BoM with my family as a child was TERRIFYING. There are many references to hell, eternal damnation, suffering, weeping/wailing/gnashing of teeth, etc.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: June 27, 2013 06:15PM

Addendum: Outer Darkness was also "Hell", and a very terrible place to end up. However, the only ones to end up there would be those who had a FULL knowledge of the truth, revealed by the spirit, and willfully chose to fight against God and side with Satan. This is a very elite club, limited to the likes of Cain, Satan, and a few others. Since Cain received a physical body, he would rule over Satan in Outer Darkness. A few ignorant types would also claim that apostate Mormons end up there, but more elightened types would explain that it was very unlikely that they had FULL knowledge revealed by the spirit.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 12:50AM

Carlton Pearson, a mainstream Christian cleric that has said that no one goes to Hell was condemned by his former evangelical colleagues as a heretic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_Pearson#The_Gospel_of_Inclusion

Personally, I don't care really as it's all make believe but it make you wonder why Mormons would want to claim an association with people who consider them to be heretics and their religion anathema.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 08:25AM

I have always believed in hell. I find it a comfort to believe that the really evil people get the "just reward". That way I see no reason for vengeance here on earth. The mormon doctrines of different levels of heaven reminded me of Dante, only leaving out the Inferno.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 11:26AM

They do believe in the three separate kingdoms of heaven, each having multiple levels of glory depending on individual worthiness.

For example the Celestial Kingdom has residents who get to keep and use their genitals and the servant class who does the dirty work and does fetch and carry and whatever they're told.

The other Kingdoms have Barbie and Ken doll bodies but they're not supposed to mind because they need to feel lucky for living in otherwise pleasant though non Celestial environments.

Outer Darkness means not a flicker of light, warmth, comfort or fellowship for eternity. But at least there are no Mormons and no callings or busywork.

Posted by: southern ( )
Date: June 28, 2013 11:30AM

my bic, rm husband tells me, "Mormons don't believe in hell." But he's only 30 and I'm learning that there's a whole lot to do with Mormonism that he has no clue about. So who knows.

Posted by: aft ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 08:29PM

Reading all of your answers confirmed why I left TSCC...There IS NO DOCTRINE. All we ever get it snippets from the Bishop and "stories" people were told by GA's, prophets and the like. AND the excitement of the "non-event" of the Conference.

I remember being told that once I went through the temple, I would be able to ask questions of the higher ups hanging out in the Celestial Room. (You know, like a SP who's there for Stake Temple Day.) I could hardly wait. I asked questions. No one knew a single answer and the usual reponse was that I should lower my voice as we were in a holy space.

I think I just barfed a little.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: July 02, 2013 10:01PM

I was taught that any thing that was NOT in the CK was considered Hell. Hell was the absense of God, and God only dwelt in the CK.

CK- Heaven. With God.
Terrestial- Hell... but better than Telestial.
Telestial- Hell-ier than Terrestial.
Outer Darkness- The Hell-iest Hell that ever Hell-ed.

Also the Spirit Prison and Eart were considered Hell.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.